Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2021, 14:04   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: Filling Bottom of Anchor Locker

I had same problem. I put a through-hull in it, connected a length of hose to it, which went to another hole on the bottom of a heavy platform on which the chain now rested, with no salt water surging in and out of the drain as before.

The platform is above waterline and easily holds the chain. It did require some further fibreglass work though.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 16:04   #17

Boat: Beneteau 343

I haven't done it yet but I recently heard the idea of using crushed soda bottles to chain off bottom. Seems it would be work.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 16:10   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Just stick a layer of rubber mat with holes in. Will keep the chain off the bottom.

Pete
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 16:14   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I haven't done it yet but I recently heard the idea of using crushed soda bottles to chain off bottom. Seems it would be work.
I don't agree with that..
We keep plastics that stow food inside cabin and go below rather than risk plastic blowing into waterway.
Rubber neat. Keeping the critters happy.
We might be in lockdown until we clean our room for all we know?? May as well start.
Old 13-06-2021, 18:03   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I had same problem. I put a through-hull in it, connected a length of hose to it, which went to another hole on the bottom of a heavy platform on which the chain now rested, with no salt water surging in and out of the drain as before.

I like that idea but i don';t know what the big deal would be to just have a hole where it belongs to let the water out? You put a "drideck" spacer in, you still have the water in there acting like a terrarium corroding the chain.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 18:09   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

While putting the dri-deck in mine I did note one of the drain holes is pretty close to being at the bottom. Ifi hadn't just spent a couple days getting rusty chain ball out i probably wouldn't have done anything.
Old 13-06-2021, 18:59   #22

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Unless I'm missing something, all these ideas to use dridek and the like will still leave water at the bottom.

I would cut a piece of plywood to shape to make a floor... a floor that will have a downward slope going forward so it will drain when you heel. Cover it with fiberglass, and fiberglass it in place
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 18:59   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO36i 2008

I used sealed marine ply to create a raised floor with drainage holes. It works, but a plastic board like StarBoard probably would have been better.
Jhclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 21:23   #24

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My recent battle of removing a rusted ball of anchor chain out of my anchor locker has me thinking.

The drain holes on my locker aren't right at the bottom of the locker (no am not interested in drilling more holes). So there is going to be water pooling in it and that becomes a corrosion issue with any chain sitting in it. I feel it is worth the effort and money to fill it in and am wondering the best combo of cost effectiveness and ease.

Whatever is used needs to be easy to lay in from the top and shape to fit. And it has to be something that wouldn't plug up the drain hole and still allow water to drain.

Possible choice that come to mind:

- fill the low spot with some cheap polyester etc. rope

- fill with sand/gravel to bottom of the drain holes and then pour resin on it.

- use spray foam to fill

BTW - we are talking a triangular space about 6" on side and 1-2" depth. It will be hard for me to go head first into the locker and work easy due to fat man hanging headfirst in deep locker syndrome.
Our boat is the same - port side about 3cm above the bottom, and stb about 4cm. I suspect the idea is that if there is an accumulation of mud down there, the drain holes are not immediately blocked.

A plastic egg-crate material or rubber mat is the easy way, but you still have that water sloshng around. Rinsing through with freshwater largely overcomes the corrosion issue, but on my list is to bring the bottom up to the lowest hole.

Easy enough to do. Just take a piece of corrugated cardboard and a Stanley knife down there, then keep trimming until you have a new 'floor, that is sloping a little towards those drain holes, and fitting snugly.

Pull the cardboard out, and transfer the shape to a decent (10-15mm) piece of plywood. Cut the ply, adjust for a good fit (a little loose), then (ideally, but I'm being fussy here) coat both sides and edges with resin, drop into place (either wet, or once cured), then a few layers of CSM or even woven rovings and resin. Flo-coat to match when cured, and job done - a nice mornings work. You could also put a few extra layers of pre-cut cloth in the centre so that you get drainage channels leading to the two drainage holes (again, being fussy here, but that's me).

Hope that helps.

David
Old 13-06-2021, 23:01   #25

The traditional solution is to make a wooden duckboard to fit the triangular shape of the bottom of the locker, tall enough to lift the chain off the bottom.
KRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 01:55   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

All good solutions, but it still begs the question as to why the designers generally seem to place the drain holes in a way that complete drainage is impossible. Is it to ensure they are above the waterline?

Be wary of putting too much slope if adding something more permanent. I made this mistake (or rather I authorised someone else to do it) when installing a shelf behind the anchor locker to hold 2 bow thruster batteries. The slope beneath the chain feed means that the chain pile-up has to be cleared a few times depending how much is out.
spaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 04:16   #27
cruiser

Holed rubber mat above a drained well floor might help ventilation and moisture removal.
Works for us. Rubber does trap some water, but that's the fresh rinse and drys quick without presence of salt.
Old 14-06-2021, 04:46   #28

Boat: Island Packet 40

You are going to get detritus of varying sorts on the bottom of the locker which you don't need to have plugging up the drains. Consequently you need to filter the detritus out whilst having a surface above the bottom of the locker to allow the chain to drain off and dry out.

I would use a layer of stiff foam rubber cut to shape in the bottom of the locker with a floor of plywood, with drain holes and sealed with epoxy sealer, sitting on top of it. If ot compresses the foam too much put short dowel legs in to support the plywood. You want the foam to compress around the edges slightly to act as a good filter.
Old 14-06-2021, 04:58   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanoni View Post
I used an old milk crate and cut it to a triangle . The chain and rode now sit atop that to drain, and to stay as dry as possible
This is what we've done too.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 15:45   #30

Bar mats will give good durability with flow of water for cleaning and drainage

https://barproducts.com/collections/...-color-options
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker