Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 05:28   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Fendering at unfamiliar docks

We have recently returned from a weeklong trip where we stayed at a number of unfamiliar docks. We concluded that we need better fendering.

Our home slip has dock bumpers. To save space we carry minimal fendering aboard to deal with unusual situations -- four Polyform G-3 fenders each with a piece of line about 5' long tied to it. Generally we tie three of these in place towards the dock or quay and leave one toward the water.

We found that the variability of dock heights, the presence of larger pilings extending outward from the docks, and the greater degree of wave action than we previously encountered all augered for more and larger fenders.

I am thinking of getting some longer cylindrical fenders that are less sensitive to height adjustment, to avoid last-minute adjustments when shorthanded at an unfamiliar dock.

The main question I have for all of you is how best to attach fenders to the boat. At present we tie the fender pennant to the pushpit or a stanchion using a midshipman's hitch (or a clove hitch if we're in a hurry). This limits our placement choices. We do not have a perforated toerail or any track, and I have always understood it to be unwise to use lifelines.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:55   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Fendering at unfamiliar docks

We have a teak handrail over the stanchions. We tie off to that or near the middle of the stanchion above the point where the lifeline passes through.

If conditions are good, we use a clove hitch. At docks with violent wave action, we use a double half hitch with a round. It takes a little bit more time to do/undo, but it's more secure than a hitch.

You mentioned getting some longer cylindrical fenders. Definitely assess if you have cylindrical fenders of adequate diameter. For fixed docks, I've seen folks use an 8ft or 10ft board on the outside of vertical fenders hung off the boat. One person substituted a length of heavy PVC pipe for the board (he considered it easier to stow).

You may want to consider getting a couple of large round fender balls, too.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The only time I rig fenders before docking is when coming alongside and can land a spring line first. Any other docking can result in the boat having motion and fenders pulling on the stanchions or lifelines and stanchions. This is a great way to damage stanchions.

Boats have rub rails for those light touches when you dock. If you cannot get alongside or into slip without ricochets, practice or have someone show you.

That said, fenders should be perpendicular to the hazard. For pilings, cylindrical fenders should be tied on both ends to the vessel so that the piling hits them in the middle. I like to use a rolling hitch. Purists will say it is not the correct not, but it is easy to adjust the fender’s location with it.

If the pilings do not extend past the dock’s edge, the fenders should be hung vertically. Once again, you can use the rolling hitch.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:49   #4

If you are going to be going marina to marina, a nice selection of bumpers is nice to have.

When we did the Great Loop on a 34ft cat we carried:
- 4 each 12" diameter cylindrical
- 4 each 10" diameter cylindrical
- 4 each 4" thick flat foam bumpers.
- 1 8ft 2x4 with holes in each end that could be rigged up outside the fenders.

In protected marinas, the flat fenders were nice as you could keep the boat close to the dock.
In less protected marinas, the bigger fenders gave more protection as things move about.
Where the boat would be up against a post, sometimes, you could rig the flat fenders but if the boat is moving around too much, the 2x4 outside a couple of the big fenders did better.
Going thru locks, we would have 4 fenders per side with the big ones toward the ends.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We carry about 10 fenders of various sizes. We weigh 40 tons so big bumpers. We have no place to tie except the life lines. As live aboards in the Caribbean, we rarely dock. Most time is on anchor. We hold 400 gallons of diesel, use about 150/season. We make water. We fuel up at launch and don’t dock again until haul out. Staying away from docks greatly reduces potential damage, two and six legged vermin, electrical issues and the water is much nicer out of the lagoon.

As you approach an unfamiliar dock, plan to circle once to check it out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We leave four fenders out on each side at all times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4036.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	241912   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIRT FREE at TUSCARORA.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	241913  

Old 11-07-2021, 07:42   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The only time I rig fenders before docking is when coming alongside and can land a spring line first. Any other docking can result in the boat having motion and fenders pulling on the stanchions or lifelines and stanchions. This is a great way to damage stanchions.

Boats have rub rails for those light touches when you dock. If you cannot get alongside or into slip without ricochets, practice or have someone show you.

I am typically shorthanded when docking.

My preferred method of docking is to approach with the dock to windward of the boat, then lasso a cleat to make a spring line while about 2 feet away and parallel to the the dock, and then motor against the spring line to close the gap. Ordinarily this works well.

In light airs sometimes I approach with the dock to lee as in this example where conditions allowed docking under sail:

Docking under sail
Old 11-07-2021, 07:48   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

When there are outlying pilings, the right way is to used a fender board. You are unlikely to keep a fender in position. Fortunately, you generally only need one fender board. You can buy them, but most are DIY. A 1x6 x 4' is probably about right for your boat (the boat in the image is a lot bigger).

You probably don't need more fenders, but upgrading two of them to 8 inches might help. But definitely, a fender board if you are gong to stay at a wide variety of bulkheads.

Vertical strings of fenders can be the answer on tidal concrete walls.

There are as many right answers as there are bulkheads and situations. No body here is wrong.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:38   #9
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

vertical for floating dock; horizontal for pilings
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:44   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
...........The main question I have for all of you is how best to attach fenders to the boat..........
We tie off two 10.5 x 30" fenders off stanchions midship on each side of the boat when in a 2 finger slip and just two or three on one side when on a side tie.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:50   #11

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Looks like a 2x6 Mr Thin.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:51   #12

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

We have a variety of large fenders for our freeboard, but the fender boards (1 for each side are the most valuable every time piling are present.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:57   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are going to be going marina to marina, a nice selection of bumpers is nice to have.
When we did the Great Loop on a 34ft cat we carried:
- 4 each 12" diameter cylindrical
- 4 each 10" diameter cylindrical
- 4 each 4" thick flat foam bumpers.
- 1 8ft 2x4 with holes in each end that could be rigged up outside the fenders.
In protected marinas, the flat fenders were nice as you could keep the boat close to the dock. In less protected marinas, the bigger fenders gave more protection as things move about. Where the boat would be up against a post, sometimes, you could rig the flat fenders but if the boat is moving around too much, the 2x4 outside a couple of the big fenders did better. Going thru locks, we would have 4 fenders per side with the big ones toward the ends.
Great fender inventory and guidance! As we cruise and end up at different docks we continue to discover what we need and recently added a large flat fender to our inventory for piers and posts.

I just ordered a large inflatable fender for springing off (getting off a side tie in close quarters without bow thrusters) that I've put off and resisted because they're just so dang expensive, but after a few times not having it when needed I finally bit the bullet. The high quality Aere inflatable fenders are super strong, stow easily, and have D rings on the ends for horizontal use as well as vertical. Not cheap, but repairing damage to my boat is more expensive. I need a large one as my stern curves up and overhangs the dock when springing and if it didn't deflate it would be a bear to store.

For mounting a fender, an experienced cruiser will never use lifelines. Stanchions are typically mounted at good fender intervals and you can get creative if you need protection in between stanchions, such as horizontal mounting.

A clove hitch is all that's needed and quick to tie, but I always add a locking half hitch for good measure.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:05   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
We have recently returned from a weeklong trip where we stayed at a number of unfamiliar docks. We concluded that we need better fendering.

Our home slip has dock bumpers. To save space we carry minimal fendering aboard to deal with unusual situations -- four Polyform G-3 fenders each with a piece of line about 5' long tied to it. Generally we tie three of these in place towards the dock or quay and leave one toward the water.

We found that the variability of dock heights, the presence of larger pilings extending outward from the docks, and the greater degree of wave action than we previously encountered all augered for more and larger fenders.

I am thinking of getting some longer cylindrical fenders that are less sensitive to height adjustment, to avoid last-minute adjustments when shorthanded at an unfamiliar dock.

The main question I have for all of you is how best to attach fenders to the boat. At present we tie the fender pennant to the pushpit or a stanchion using a midshipman's hitch (or a clove hitch if we're in a hurry). This limits our placement choices. We do not have a perforated toerail or any track, and I have always understood it to be unwise to use lifelines.
I always deploy a fender below each stanchion (5) tied to the boat's perforated toe rail. I lower each fender to touch the water and then raise it about 2-3 inches. Once docked they are adjusted as needed. Some may consider that excessive but I recall a landing to clear customs and shortly thereafter, while away from the boat, a large wave hit the dock and the topsides were saved by those fenders.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:15   #15

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

We only carry 2 regular fenders but 6 large inflatable fenders deflated in the lasserette. As far as rigging fenders from lifelines it depends on if your boat has well designed stanchions or weak poorly backed or poorly designed ones. Our stanchions have 4 or 6 1/4” bolts through bolted to the vertical gunnel with big backing plates. Had the boat over 20 years with no problem using lifelines for fenders. Using floatation cushions or whatever else is handy is better than scraping the hull on a stainless bolt sticking out of a slip.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, fender