Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 17:19   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361
Beneteau 361 windlass leaking into front cabin

The Maxwell RC8-8 has been designed to drain water from the top out of the gearbox. That is not ideal on the 361 as the windlass is installed in the front cabin.

I'm thinking if I could catch the water and drill a hole forward into the anchor locker to drain it that way?

Thanks for any suggestions!
matt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 17:47   #17

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Electric Windlass for Beneteau 361?

Question lies in why do you have water leaking from above deck to gear box on the rc8-8?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 13:50   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, the RC8 has been designed to drain water from the top along the shaft via drainage slots above the gearbox (highlighted in PDF). A year ago, my shipwright put some Sikaflex on the top which has now worn away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6962.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	225423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6961.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	225424  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf MaxwellRC8.pdf (248.8 KB, 25 views)
matt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 03:49   #19

I replaced my anchor lift with the Maxwell RC8. mostly because I couldn't find parts for my anchor lift anymore.

I recommend the Maxwell RC8

We use it on our CS36 Merlin and it works great.
tolip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 06:22   #20

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Ugh I have the VW10-10, it does not drain through the shaft. Silaflex will not last long as the wheel will wear it away quickly after use.

The hole next to the shaft hole is for a pressure arm. If it's not present, that should have a plug in it.

The drainage slot you highlighted is on the gearbox, not in the structure above deck.

The photo you posted show there is no drainage slot on the shaft (it's perfect round around the bearing. If it were me I'd pull the windlass and rebed it. I'd also probably replace the bearing since that could be worn and could cause leakages.

I would bet that the leak is coming from a failed bedding. Pulling the windlass isn't that hard and rebedding with high quality butyl wouldn't take too much time. While I was at it, I'd seal the deck coring if it was exposed as well
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:10   #21

Re: Beneteau 361 Lewmar V-2 windlass installation

I’m currently installing electric windlass on my 351 and saw where you said you found a route for your electric cables , where sis you enter the interior of boat ?
I’m going to add a battery in v birth but still need to figure out where to drill holes to get power cable to windlass .
Thank you
Billy McGrew
Billymc38@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boodey View Post
I am in the process of installing a Lewmar V-2 windlass to handle chain and rope on my 2001 model 361 sailboat. I was having a problem gettting the front cover off, where the windlass would be installed. Beneteau suggested that I use a razor blade knife to cut the sealant, but that did not work. I was able to get it cut by using a thin plastic counter top backsplash material (APC panel # B50-17). I was able to get a corner of the backsplash material under the back of the cover and work it around on both sides, one side at a time. I have also found a route for the 2/0 wire needed to power the windlass. I am still in the process of installing the system and may wait until the end of the sailing season to actually finish it.
billymc38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau