Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 16:46   #16

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: EBay nylon 3 strand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Z View Post
. I was told it was made in china..
Most things are these days, doesn't mean you can't get good quality gear.
Anchor chain tests by cox engineering revealed a lot of Chinese chain , for example, to be of better quality and higher grade than US and euro made chain due to the abundance of high grade steel being used in their construction boom.

Quote:
. I only buy premium line . At $50 per 500’ I would have a hard time to call it premium, esp. for anchor line
Hard to tell based on price alone.

A week ago I was sourcing gaskets for the heat exchanger on my engine.
Cummins dealers in Australia were wanting $250 for each gasket + freight and a 2 week wait.
I was ordering 10 so $2500 + freight.

Cummins dealers in China supplied the same 10 gaskets , had them air freighted here in 5 working days for a total cost of $95.

Based on the above example I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the rope being sold coming in from China is then on sold at vastly inflated prices.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 17:04   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389 37'

I once bought cheap no name nylon rope to redo my permanent dock lines. Then I got worried it might be inferior so I conducted a test with two samples, the cheap nylon and also a sample of Donaghys nylon. The result was very clear, the cheap rope did not fully dissolve indicating it had fillers to keep the manufacturing price down.
I returned the coil for a refund and will never again try to save a penny on rope that is used to secure a $350kk vessel When you are standing at the marina in a storm watching your boat bounced around like a cork you’ll be glad you bought the best quality.
Tim Litchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 17:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Litchfield View Post
When you are standing at the marina in a storm watching your boat bounced around like a cork you’ll be glad you bought the best quality.
Fair enough but that's not what I would be using it for.
We are full time cruisers and dont use marinas and I am running all chain at anchor.
Old 10-07-2019, 17:34   #19

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Most things are these days, doesn't mean you can't get good quality gear.
Anchor chain tests by cox engineering revealed a lot of Chinese chain , for example, to be of better quality and higher grade than US and euro made chain due to the abundance of high grade steel being used in their construction boom.

Cummins dealers in Australia were wanting $250 for each gasket + freight and a 2 week wait.

Cummins dealers in China supplied the same 10 gaskets , had them air freighted here in 5 working days for a total cost of $95.

Based on the above example I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the rope being sold coming in from China is then on sold at vastly inflated prices.
Around 10-15 years ago one year I noticed a fair number of WA state park recreational moorings were missing. I called the parks department to ask if they were removing and downsizing the number of moorings. The reply was their vendor had changed sources and bought Chinese chain without telling them. The chains were breaking. They said they were on a 3 year cycle of maintenance and fixing moorings, so I avoided them for a couple of years.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 18:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Around 10-15 years ago one year I noticed a fair number of WA state park recreational moorings were missing. I called the parks department to ask if they were removing and downsizing the number of moorings. The reply was their vendor had changed sources and bought Chinese chain without telling them. The chains were breaking. They said they were on a 3 year cycle of maintenance and fixing moorings, so I avoided them for a couple of years.
Around 10 or 15 years ago China was a vastly different manufacturing power than it is today.
Now they build Cummins, Ford, Volvo, Buick, Citroen, Mercedes to name a few.
Old 10-07-2019, 19:00   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Around 10 or 15 years ago China was a vastly different manufacturing power than it is today.
Now they build Cummins, Ford, Volvo, Buick, Citroen, Mercedes to name a few.
Yep, spent time out there, they make some fantastic high quality stuff. At a price. Also kick out colossal quantities of very cheap low quality stuff. Buy cheap anywhere chances are it's almost certainly low quality.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 19:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Buy cheap anywhere chances are it's almost certainly low quality.
Once again, not necessarily

Quote:

Do you think the Cummins China product is rubbish because it was cheap?
Do you think the Cummins Oz product is vastly superior because it is ridiculously expensive?
Old 10-07-2019, 19:21   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Once again, not necessarily
Almost certainly. It's so cheap mqinly because of labour, quality materials still cost where ever you are on the planet. Even in the backstreet suppliers in china decent materials weren't pennies. Your boat, your choice.
Old 10-07-2019, 20:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Almost certainly. It's so cheap mqinly because of labour, quality materials still cost where ever you are on the planet. Even in the backstreet suppliers in china decent materials weren't pennies. Your boat, your choice.
So you reckon I should put the $250 each genuine Cummins gaskets in vs the $9.50 each Genuine Cummins gaskets because in you're eyes, high wages and price gouging magicaly makes it a better product?
Old 10-07-2019, 21:05   #25
cruiser

Quote:

So you reckon I should put the $250 each genuine Cummins gaskets in vs the $9.50 each Genuine Cummins gaskets because in you're eyes, high wages and price gouging magicaly makes it a better product?
No idea.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:43   #26

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Just had a mate tip me off to nylon 3 strand on eBay.
Obviously Chinese but if made to a standard it should be fine right?
Incredibly pricing
I was planing on forking out near $500 for a coil in the next week or two

1/2 inch 300ft for $49
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-St...edirect=mobile

Or what we need 19mm x 200ft for $78
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/19mm-Dia...edirect=mobile

Anyone tried some yet?
I'd be curious as to what 'Standard' the rope was made to. While I've never seen rope fail on a boat except from abrasion, I'm personally aware of several rigging failures involving shackles, turnbuckles, quick-links and the like that were made 'offshore', and would not use the stuff. Some of these had no 'SWL' info stamped on them, others did - but who tested the 'Safe Working Load' and under what conditions, and where are the records kept? We have some cheap rope on the boat, but it's certainly not on the primary hook.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 14:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
I'd be curious as to what 'Standard' the rope was made to. While I've never seen rope fail on a boat except from abrasion, I'm personally aware of several rigging failures involving shackles, turnbuckles, quick-links and the like that were made 'offshore', and would not use the stuff. Some of these had no 'SWL' info stamped on them, others did - but who tested the 'Safe Working Load' and under what conditions, and where are the records kept? We have some cheap rope on the boat, but it's certainly not on the primary hook.
I just sent off several messages to sellers.
Quote:

Hi, can I get further details on this rope please.
Specifically, what standard if any it was made to and is there any documentation you can provide of that and on any testing.

We are running a large heavy boat and actually need it to perform as advertised and need to know how this compares to other manufacturers product.

If it compares well, we will make multiple purchases of 19mm.

Thanks
Your comment made me look at several other vastly more expensive brands and I had no joy finding any detail on standards with them either.
I could with rescue, military and arborist ropes but not with 3 stand nylon.

Also of note was several engineering and lifting gear suppliers here in Australia selling nylon ropes of brands I had never heard off, all originating in China.
Old 30-07-2019, 11:20   #28

Boat: DownEaster 38

Interesting...
I am looking for 5/8" 8 strand (or plait) anchor line to be spliced into 3/8" BBB chain.
It seems that 8 strand braided is much better for anchor lines than 3 strand twisted, but then the question is brand. Is NER still the best? Yale? Buccaneer?
Also what about the splice? Mostly see splice back into the line, but have also seen splice going "forward" into the chain. That seems better for passing through a windlass. Comments?
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 11:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Interesting...
I am looking for 5/8" 8 strand (or plait) anchor line to be spliced into 3/8" BBB chain.
It seems that 8 strand braided is much better for anchor lines than 3 strand twisted, but then the question is brand. Is NER still the best? Yale? Buccaneer?
Also what about the splice? Mostly see splice back into the line, but have also seen splice going "forward" into the chain. That seems better for passing through a windlass. Comments?
I have always preferred 3 strand. Mostly just because it's so simple and fast to splice or loop with no tools. 5-10 minutes max. I do like plait though.
Trying to find 3 strand that's not so soft now days is a problem at times. I like a harder finish and have no idea how that is determined other than age! But some of the white 3 strand out there is way too soft. The old gold stuff used to be pretty firm and didn't become a horsetail by just looking at it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 23:28   #30

Drags this one back out as I bit the bullet and grabbed a spool

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Three-St...edirect=mobile

1st impression was nice rope, soft, feels like a nice nylon rope, expertly spliced, heavy s/s thimble.
Micrometer indicates 17mm not 19 - multiple measurements could not find 19mm
I cut it and it falls apart like nylon does , looks promising

So to the test
Test 1- it floats - not nylon
Test 2 - muriatic / hydrochloric acid, if nylon it should degrade after a few minutes and it did not , even after 1 hour - not nylon
Test 3 - flame, it does melt nicely but clean not dirty, would seem not nylon.

Going on the above it would appear its polyester, not nylon
So now we know, thank me for my sacrifice (-;

Refund requested as not as described and looking for a coil of Donaghys