Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 09:28   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Drilling Holes in Anchor Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
UO TE=Terra Nova;1667728]A small hole, drilled near the center of the shank, will have virtually no affect on the strength of the anchor.
maybe. but it still definitely a spot where Rust will start[/QUOTE]

I made the mistake of drilling a 1/2" hole in the middle of our 25kg Canadian Rocna shank so it would stay on the bowsprit. I worried about the rust but the galvanizing has healed itself. There is no rust around the edges of the hole. I no longer use that hole as I built a new bowsprit.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
...Take a 1/4" hole out of a 1" shank, and you have a 25% reduction in force required to take the material to the yield point...
Anyone foolish enough to reduce their anchor shank by 25% deserves to lose his boat. (at least)
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:52   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Anyone foolish enough to reduce their anchor shank by 25% deserves to lose his boat. (at least)
Depends if the anchor was 25% larger/stronger than the needed circumstances.... Doubtful med mooring ....

Would I do it??? Oh Hell No.....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01   #19

About 10 yrs ago I had seen the exact same thing. On a dock in Italy I watched a yachtsmen burning a hole as you have in your pics. I asked why he said that when in heavy mud you attach a second line to help rock the anchor loose. If they had done it I'm not sure but that was the reason he gave me.
bosun1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
A few of them are far enough up the shank that they are probably for attaching a trip line to.
Trip line was my thought till I looked at the pics. Your right about a couple being far enough up the shank, one looked to be factory. The others ? Especially one sloppily blown in with a torch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:11   #21

Drilling Holes in Anchor Shanks

First post, and this thread has confused me.... I rarely see an anchor without a hole in, most of those photos with holes are put in during manufacture.. They are keyhole shaped and or countersunk. They are used to put a pin through on the bow to secure the anchor when it's not in use....

Or am I missing something?
TomUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

In photo seven of the Bugel anchor copy the top hole is "factory", but there is a hole just below this that has been filled in with Sikaflex, or similar. It went all the way through the shank.

There is very little metal left between these two holes, but it was still unbent.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomUK View Post

Or am I missing something?
Welcome to the forum Tom.

All the anchors shown have extra, non standard, holes drilled through the shank
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
A small hole, drilled near the center of the shank, will have virtually no affect on the strength of the anchor.
To what end securing on a bow pulpit? You specified small, OK I'll buy that. It just didn't look like that was the purpose of most of those. I hope the OP asks the locals and posts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:06   #25

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Drilling Holes in Anchor Shanks

My anchor roller is set up for a pin to go through the anchor shank and secure the anchor while cruising. It was set up for the 22 lb Delta anchor that came stock with my Hunter 356. I upgraded to a 44 lb Delta and the hole in that shank from the factory does not line up with my pin hole. What we do is have a nylon rope in the anchor locker that ties to the cleat. The "anchor" end has a clip that hooks into the anchor chain that takes the load while pounding through waves, while taking the load off the windlass. The 1/2 inch nylon takes some shock load off the cleat.

On a charter boat in the keys, we had the anchor play out while motor sailing into 10-12 for waves. Each pounding let a little of the anchor off the windlass. We realized the anchor was off the roller and it was a bear to get back on board in the conditions we were in. After that, and on my own boat, I devised the solution above. I think it better than a pin as it is easier to use.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:11   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
My anchor roller is set up for a pin to go through the anchor shank and secure the anchor while cruising. It was set up for the 22 lb Delta anchor that came stock with my Hunter 356. I upgraded to a 44 lb Delta and the hole in that shank from the factory does not line up with my pin hole. What we do is have a nylon rope in the anchor locker that ties to the cleat. The "anchor" end harps a clip that hooks into the anchor chain that takes the load while pounding through waves, while taking the load off the windlass.

On a charter boat in the keys, we had the anchor play out while motor sailing into 10-12 for waves. Each pounding let a little of the anchor off the windlass. We realized the anchor was off the roller and it was a bear to get back on board in the conditions we were in. After that, and on my own boat, I devised the solution above. I think it better than a pin as it is easier to use.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Same here! I use a hook & line, and a HD bungee to keep up the slack, if any developes.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think in general a rope tie down is better than metal pin. There is no risk of bending and jamming. A rope and it can always be cut in an emergency.

Usually an existing hole in the anchor can be used, or simply a lashing over the shank.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:41   #28

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think in general a rope tie down is better than metal pin. There is no risk of bending and jamming. A rope and it can always be cut in an emergency.

Usually an existing hole in the anchor can be used, or simply a lashing over the shank.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:51   #29

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

that's a load of weight on the bow...
Old 01-11-2014, 13:15   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the holes are to lighten the anchor so it doesnt weigh the bow down....lol
i use a line thru the shackle at the chain connect, tied to the pulpit.. stays on bow just fine 'n' dandy without changing anything on or about my anchor. works well.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor