Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 16:06   #106

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Dragging my Rocna - Is my technique at fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
I would let out chain while backing down to 5:1. Then neutral while you tighten the windless to 75% tight. Then back down until chain is taught. Neutral and tighten windless to 100%.
My windlass is rather simple and afaik does not have this sort of adjustment.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 16:10   #107

Boat: Hans Christian 38 MkII

- double check your overall scope factor. Your ratio should be based on the total sum of water depth + height of anchor pulpit over water + tidal range.
- lower your anchor and start backing away (not backing down) until you've let out at least 3:1 scope before you start backing down lightly. This is to simply pull all the slack chain laying on the sea floor. Then go to 4:1 to set the anchor firmly. At 5:1 back down hard. From there you can roll back gently to 4:1 if that is what you like. Personally I use 5:1 for lunch 7:1 over night. And that's all chain.
searenity38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 16:17   #108

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by searenity38 View Post
- double check your overall scope factor. Your ratio should be based on the total sum of water depth + height of anchor pulpit over water + tidal range.
yes yes I have this. depth on the depth gauge measures water under the keel, add 10 for the keel and distance to the bow roller, then do the multiplier.

I'm considering switching to 50' + 2*(depth under keel + 10)
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 17:52   #109

Boat: Ericson 34

A lot of good info. I have about same size boat and and anchor manufacturer and anchor size so will through in my 2 cents. 2:1 isnt enouhh to set. Try 3 or 4:1 then let wind or current take you back to initial set point. Take your time, let the anchor do is job and dig in. Once stuck give it a little reverse. Then pay out to 4 or 5:1 allowing for fall from roller to water, keel offset and tide plus the depth. Now start to power pack slowly and then increase modestly. Stop and wait again to see that your set.
I dont use more than 4 or 5:1 unless in big wind and fetch. Hobby-horsing is more likely to cause pullout than wind. I've stayed put all night in 45-50 knots with no fetch-flat seas. Several days in less wind but more fetch- larger swell. I dont use more than the anchorage will allow due to close proximity of boats unless you want to meet your neighbors.
Roll bars will catch mud, always clean it between use, drag it or whatever it takes.
Pacifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 17:58   #110

Boat: Pearson 36

Snubber.

Am I being too primitive in my approach when something sexier like an anchor hook might be both more complicated, more expensive and more prone to failure.

Once again I am seeking criticism.

My 5/8 three strand nylon anchor rode is attached to the chain by directly without a thimble or shackle. I just made this change this year because i got tired of hauling my anchor and dealing with the shackle and thimble. I also was considering a windlass which would require the direct rope to chain connection, but have abandoned the windlass idea.

This brings me to consider attaching a snubber by setting the anchor, then attaching a snubber rope directly to a link that remains accessible on the bow and then dropping another 8 feet or so, over the bow roller after securing the other end of the snubber to my second cleat.

It does not have pictorial appeal, but seems to be a much simpler and more reliable way to go.

The anchor can be retrieved up to the point of attachment, the rope removed and the rest of the chain hauled in.

Where I will have 10 to 20 feet of rope rode from my anchor cleat leading over the bow roller to the submerged chain, I wonder why I will need a snubber at all?
robertmfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 18:07   #111

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmfranklin View Post
Snubber.

Am I being too primitive in my approach when something sexier like an anchor hook might be both more complicated, more expensive and more prone to failure.

Once again I am seeking criticism.

My 5/8 three strand nylon anchor rode is attached to the chain by directly without a thimble or shackle. I just made this change this year because i got tired of hauling my anchor and dealing with the shackle and thimble. I also was considering a windlass which would require the direct rope to chain connection, but have abandoned the windlass idea.

This brings me to consider attaching a snubber by setting the anchor, then attaching a snubber rope directly to a link that remains accessible on the bow and then dropping another 8 feet or so, over the bow roller after securing the other end of the snubber to my second cleat.

It does not have pictorial appeal, but seems to be a much simpler and more reliable way to go.

The anchor can be retrieved up to the point of attachment, the rope removed and the rest of the chain hauled in.

Where I will have 10 to 20 feet of rope rode from my anchor cleat leading over the bow roller to the submerged chain, I wonder why I will need a snubber at all?

I also just hitch the snubber right to the chain.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 18:26   #112

Boat: wildcat catamaran 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
So I replaced the toy delta on my Hunter 38' with a 25kg Rocna original on 200' 5/16" G43. Should be sized correctly for my boat.

I've anchored out four or five nights and drug two of the five. Admittedly the dragging was in soft mud, but possibly my technique is also at fault.

FWIW I drug in the river by R42 (R44?) Veterans Memorial Bridge, Daytona, and at Sheepshead Cut just south of Fernandina. Both times in 15kts with 5:1 scope out. Sheepshead Cut I would never have anchored, very large fetch, wind opposing current, > 6' tidal range, right in the mouth of a creek, soft mud....ugly but was with another boat. I bailed after two attempts and picked up a mooring at Fernandina.

Successful anchoring in Lake Syliva, and by Merritt Island Causeway.

Onto my technique:
1. Bring boat to a stop at chosen point, aligned with other vessels at anchor nearby if any, otherwise into wind
2. Lower anchor until its resting on the bottom
3. If the wind/current is pushing the boat down wind/current then pay out the anchor chain to keep it just vertical until 2:1 (this from Rocna pamplet), otherwise engage in reverse idle to do the same thing
4. Snub the chain, look for the chain to be "bar straight" and not doing a "snatch and relax" or any vibration in the chain indicating skipping
5. Continuing the motion in step 3, go to 5:1
6. Back down on the anchor starting around 1,000 rpm, increasing to 1,600-1,800 rpm for a minute while checking bearings to nearby land-based points

Am I doing something wrong, or just unlucky with bottoms?
sandy bottoms can be a challenge at best danforth anchors work best in sand. I have good luck with CQR anchors but also sandy bottoms can be problematic with the CQR I like to mark my holding areas and keep them in my gps after a while if you travel the same routes this method comes in handy.
Good luck and safe travels.
wildcat35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 18:49   #113
CLOD

Boat: none

Amazing the dribble an anchoring thread can produce
Old 07-06-2021, 19:19   #114

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

..did you mean drivel....

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 21:31   #115
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
..did you mean drivel....
Both are apt
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 22:09   #116

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Say, are you related to the SB1 who is always complaining about irrelevant, uninformative and distracting posts in "his" threads?

Just wondering...

Jim
Old 07-06-2021, 22:19   #117

Quote:
Meanwhile I’m over here with my Bruce like “this is fine...” haha
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 22:37   #118

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
So I replaced the toy delta on my Hunter 38' with a 25kg Rocna original on 200' 5/16" G43. Should be sized correctly for my boat.

I've anchored out four or five nights and drug two of the five. Admittedly the dragging was in soft mud, but possibly my technique is also at fault.

FWIW I drug in the river by R42 (R44?) Veterans Memorial Bridge, Daytona, and at Sheepshead Cut just south of Fernandina. Both times in 15kts with 5:1 scope out. Sheepshead Cut I would never have anchored, very large fetch, wind opposing current, > 6' tidal range, right in the mouth of a creek, soft mud....ugly but was with another boat. I bailed after two attempts and picked up a mooring at Fernandina.

Successful anchoring in Lake Syliva, and by Merritt Island Causeway.

Onto my technique:
1. Bring boat to a stop at chosen point, aligned with other vessels at anchor nearby if any, otherwise into wind
2. Lower anchor until its resting on the bottom
3. If the wind/current is pushing the boat down wind/current then pay out the anchor chain to keep it just vertical until 2:1 (this from Rocna pamplet), otherwise engage in reverse idle to do the same thing
4. Snub the chain, look for the chain to be "bar straight" and not doing a "snatch and relax" or any vibration in the chain indicating skipping
5. Continuing the motion in step 3, go to 5:1
6. Back down on the anchor starting around 1,000 rpm, increasing to 1,600-1,800 rpm for a minute while checking bearings to nearby land-based points

Am I doing something wrong, or just unlucky with bottoms?
In my experience anchoring in soft muddy bottoms can be a challenge. However if the anchor drags in 15kn of wind means your anchor never dug in .
5:1 should be more then enough.
Shovel type anchors also tend to jam up with soil and a the roll cage doesnt help, i have found that I had to clean the fluke before resetting the shovel type anchor helps.
In the end I got a Sarca Excel #5 which in my opinion are better even on a reset.
I usually use a scope of 4 to1 and if it gets really blowy maybe 6 to1..never did drag the Sarca..
As I said soft mud is just that, soft and therefore provides diminished holding power.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:54   #119
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Say, are you related to the SB1 who is always complaining about irrelevant, uninformative and distracting posts in "his" threads?

Just wondering...

Jim
You think this the same thing on this thread? This thread has 4 pages of the same "answer" mixed in with dribble/drivel.

thanks for for some more dribble/drivel, of course I understand your goal
Old 08-06-2021, 08:00   #120

Boat: Jeanneau DS 43

Do you measure depth from depth sounder or from bow roller? You should do the latter when deciding on scope. If you have 5:1 scope in 15 feet of water, your 75 feet amounts to less than 4:1 if your bow roller is 5 feet above the water.
sailoray531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna