Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:05   #76

Re: Dragged Our Rocna Today

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm checking out anchors and came across this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
In any case you are not considering the damage to the supposedly high tensile steel that occurs when you run two extra gas cuts up and down the shank to cut a slot.?
I can't see how that stacks up against this Product Range » Rocna Anchors

Unless I've got it wrong they seem to be contradicting their own advice

Any thoughts?
Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:21   #77

Boat: Allures 44

SK,

You're looking at a small Rocna for small boats (snorkeling, fishing, etc) The slot is in case you foul the anchor on a reef. It only comes in 4 and 6 Kg, it's not for larger boats, and it's not designed for long-term anchoring.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

craigsmith, didn't You ever consider to supplement Your range by 90 kg model? The gap between 70 and 110 is huge...

Best regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55   #79

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The original point of this thread was that even a Rocna can have trouble in very heavy weed, which I suspect is true of almost any anchor. If the grass is heavy enough I think your best hope is usually to move somewhere else. Possibly a very heavy hooking type anchor, like a Herreshoff, will penetrate down to solid ground, but not necessarily. Though it is no longer made, my Bulwagga has performed well in fairly heavy weed, which is what it was originally designed for. Bulwagga Bay on Lake Champlain is a weedy bottom. Bottom line is that weed is not good holding ground.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31   #80

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The original point of this thread was that even a Rocna can have trouble in very heavy weed, which I suspect is true of almost any anchor. If the grass is heavy enough I think your best hope is usually to move somewhere else. Possibly a very heavy hooking type anchor, like a Herreshoff, will penetrate down to solid ground, but not necessarily. Though it is no longer made, my Bulwagga has performed well in fairly heavy weed, which is what it was originally designed for. Bulwagga Bay on Lake Champlain is a weedy bottom. Bottom line is that weed is not good holding ground.
I second that opinion! Thick weed is very deceptive. The hook might grab & set quickly, without penetrating to the substrate. Then, if a blow comes in the middle of the night, the anchor comes up all fouled with weed, and will not reset. (Don't ask how I know!) Given any other options, I now avoid anchoring in weed or thick grass, at all cost.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 13:10   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
SK,

You're looking at a small Rocna for small boats (snorkeling, fishing, etc) The slot is in case you foul the anchor on a reef. It only comes in 4 and 6 Kg, it's not for larger boats, and it's not designed for long-term anchoring.
Thanks for that. I'll go for the Manson then. At least they seem to be OK about their product.
Silent Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna