Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2022, 16:24   #1

Location: Soon sailing from New Orleans to Key West then Caribbean
Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Orion 27
Do you mark your anchor line

What is the best ie longest lasting method to mark or code my anchor line so I know how much I am putting out? I was thinking of spray paint while it is presently dry but am all ears to possibilities including best kind of paint.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 16:29   #2

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Do you mark your anchor line

Lots of ways to mark, but none really hold up very long if you anchor a lot. We've used paint, colored zip ties, colored "pipe cleaners", and colored rope. Rope probably lasts the longest, but my cause problems with some windlass gypsies. The other option is to install a chain counter if your rode is all chain. Not inexpensive though . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 16:31   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

I use different colour coded cable/zip ties (I also mark with multiple black ink rings). Both need to be monitored as cable ties may eventually break off or rings fade (but rarely both in same place, hence both systems).
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 16:34   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Spray paint is good. I use tie wraps on all-chain, one for 25 ft. , two for 50 ft, and so on, up to four at 100 then start over again with one at 125 etc. They can get pinched and fall off, so it requires occasional maintenance to add a missing one.
For rope rode I used to buy the commercial numbered tags that you push through the line. Those are very rugged and work well.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 16:51   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I use paint on the chain and spray-on fabric dye/paint on the rope portion. The chain gets re-marked every 1 - 2 years, but the marks on the rope are wearing well enough that they'll likely out-last the rope itself.

As far as color scheme, I use a mix of orange and green marks. Both are available in very bright colored paints, so they're easy to see even in poor light. Marks are every 25 feet. Orange marks count 25 foot increments, green marks count hundreds (the orange marks reset every time you add a green mark). So 3 orange marks is 75 feet. 1 green, 1 orange is 125 feet. 2 green, 2 orange is 250 feet. Each mark is individually readable, so there's no concern for missing a mark or forgetting what the previous one was.

I also put a series of black stripes on the rode about 15 feet from the end as a "stop the windlass right now" warning to avoid the windlass yanking on the tied off bitter end of the rode.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 17:34   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’ve used these for many years. Made of rip-stop PVC. I just loop them through a link and put a couple stitches in to hold in place. They feed though a gypsy with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F5C87D67-BC6A-4265-A00F-4F9B5F5BADC7.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	268185  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 17:43   #7

If the OP means "line" as in rope, we take some scraps of double-braid and pull out the colored tracers. Then use a big needle to pull them through the anchor rode, passing through twice so they don't pull out, with a coloring scheme and spacing we decide on. Let the tracers flap around sticking out an inch or two each side of the rode. Can both see them and feel them. I've got anchor line around that was probably marked 20 years ago, used regularly, and the original tracers are still there.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 17:46   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I’ve used these for many years. Made of rip-stop PVC. I just loop them through a link and put a couple stitches in to hold in place. They feed though a gypsy with no issues.
I have used exactly what and how he describes for many years with minimal failures. I keep a couple extra sets on board, to replace as needed, but have rarely either needed or used the spares.
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 18:09   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have the same as in post #3.
In chain I use coloured zip ties, cable tie as they are called in Oz.
Yes, once a year the cable ties need to be checked.
The ties are 10 meters apart (33 ft).
I use four colours, and after 40 metres use the first colour again, now with 2 ties, and after 80 mt with 3 ties. I have 120 mt of chain.

In rope I use some strips of old T-shirt, woven twice into the 3 strand and 8 braid. They last for tens of years (with me) as I rarely have the rope out, use the same colours as in chain.
Old 30-11-2022, 18:46   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

On our last boat with hybrid rode we used the ripstop PVC flags posted upthread.

This time we have an all-chain rode and will be painting the new chain before it goes on. No doubt the paint will require periodic renewal particularly on the most-used portions of the chain.
Old 30-11-2022, 20:43   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I used paint for many years, but have gone to coloured zip ties over the past few. It's easier to maintain the ties. I keep a stash with the anchor gear, and when I notice a some have come off, I can quickly attach a new one as the chain rolls through the windlass.
Old 30-11-2022, 23:45   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i believe the OP was referring to a rope rode, in which case stitching coloured pieces of thread could work, although the old system of marking a leadline has a lot going for it too ie using different materials like rag & leather

as for marking a chain rode : we use electrical tape. lasts six months or so...cheap...plenty of colours...readily available

cheers,
Old 01-12-2022, 00:51   #13

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I use one colour paint. Use a little pain brush and use some cold galv primer. I paint just one link for every 5 meters. So, 2 x 5 = 10 (2 links), 3 x5 =15 (3links) etc. this works well for up to 70 meters. I only have 70 m’s chain. So far the paint has lasted 8 years. I need to redo them now.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:13   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I use one colour paint.....use some cold galv primer..
This.

The reason paint doesn't last very long on anchor chain is because the chain is galvanized. Paint does not adhere well to anything that has been galvanized.

I use a 2-step process for painting my chain.

Step One: Buy a spray can of Etching Primer. Spray sections of the chain at the desired intervals.

Step Two: When the primer has dried, paint over the primer in whatever colors you desire.

This method will last much much longer than just painting over unprimed anchor chain.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:21   #15

Boat: Tartan 4100

I have been using zip ties on the chain and a strip of yarn through the nylon portion of the rode. My reservation of using zip ties is the introduction of more plastics in the ocean when they break off. I know this is a puny amount comparatively, but still bothers me a bit. I may switch to Bobby Lex's method above with the etching primer
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor