Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 11:35   #1

Divided Anchor Locker Question

I just discovered another mystery with our "new" boat. We have a 33" Bruce anchor, 180' chain and 30' 5/8" rope, with a Lofrans windlass forward of the locker. The anchor locker is divided fore/aft by a 3/4" painted plywood, extending to the bottom of the locker. As you'd expect, accumulated water has rotted the bottom 6" of the divider and the accumulated crud has blocked the locker drains.

I'm puzzled why this divider was even installed. It appears to be an afterthought or previous owner "improvement", as the plywood is wedged into the bow and supported by 1"x1" strips on the back of the locker. It is not glassed in or properly sealed. When using the windlass, the chain piles in the top front corner of the bow draped over the divider. This seems wrong, as it keeps the chain from sliding down into the lower part of the locker, may interfere with windlass operations and I think will be a problem when deploying the anchor. Also keeps the entire weight of chain high up and and as far forward as possible.

The only reason I can see having the divided locker is to support multiple anchors. The bow pulpit only handles one anchor, I don't have a 2nd bow anchor and I don't want all this weight on pointy end of the boat. I'm thinking about removing the divider. If I remove, then the chain should not pile-up and should fall to the lowest part of the locker.

Are there any reasons why I'd want to either remove or replace this divider? If I'm going to the trouble of replacing, are there better anchor locker configurations?

As usual, thanks for all of your expert advise.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 11:43   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Divided anchor locker question

I suspect you are right that the previous owner kept two anchors and rodes up there. I have been tempted to do the same in my anchor locker, but hopefully I could design it so the chain didn't pile up as you described. Another way of keeping a second anchor rode up there is to pile it all into a sail bag. I find this works well for the kedge anchor, and it makes it easy to pull the whole thing out and carry it to the stern if I want to deploy the anchor back there, which I have had to do in some Med. moor situations.
Old 21-02-2011, 12:59   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Divided anchor locker question

If you are interested, there's no reason my modifications in steel could not be done in glass. The idea is that the angle of the rear "wall" of the anchor well helps to flake the chain: The World Encompassed: The well-grounded anchor well

S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 17:48   #4

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR
Re: Divided Anchor Locker Question

Don, we also have a tartan 3500. Hull 105. Our anchor locker has a marine plywood divider. I carry two anchors - inherited from previous owner. We sail the Chesapeake and have never needed the second anchor. The divider keeps the main chain and rode on the starboard side, separated from 2nd anchor on port.
Now a question for you, please. What is the plumbing connection to the anchor locker drain. On my boat the port side drain connects to a 1/2 inch plastic tubing that ascends the anchor locker and then turns 180 degrees and descends to a connection at top of v-berth water tank. I assume the tube serves as a vacuum relief on water tank. Sucking out water from closed tank could collapse the tank.

How is your anchor locker drain connected? I seem to have lost the elbow that would connect the tubing to the drain

Signed
DougAnnapolis
Tartan 3500
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 20:35   #5

Hi Doug,
It is interesting how very different our two anchor lockers and drains are configured My anchor locker drains are 1" diameter holes drilled through the sides of the anchor locker and hull. There are no other drains connected to the v-berth water tank. It is interesting to note that both drains leaked into the bilge because the space between the hull and anchor locker was not sealed. This created a serious leak, especially while sailing, that I had trouble finding and fixing.

Back to the v-berth water tank. As I recall, there's some sort of overflow/vent plumbing, consisting of 3/4" clear plastic tubing running, originating under the small forward hatchboard, along the port side, under v-berth to the bulkhead. From there, I believe it drains directly into the bilge, though I've never really pursued this. I also find it interesting that there's several low-spots, where water could accumulate in this hose.

I'll be at the boat tomorrow - I can double check the configuration. I find it odd that Tartan would run the forward water-tank overflow forward, through/under the forward bulkhead so to drain in the anchor locker. I could see wanting a loop, especially since our locker and drains are usually under bow wake/water when sailing. Everything in our boat drains to the bilge.

I hope this helps,
Don

P.S. As a note to the original post - I removed the rotted plywood divider and let the chain settle naturally into the full locker. I do find that the chain settles too far forward and I usually help it pile further back into the locker. Alchemy's suggestion might help push the chain back into the locker.
Old 17-04-2013, 20:42   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Hi Doug,
It is interesting how very different our two anchor lockers and drains are configured My anchor locker drains are 1" diameter holes drilled through the sides of the anchor locker and hull. There are no other drains connected to the v-berth water tank. It is interesting to note that both drains leaked into the bilge because the space between the hull and anchor locker was not sealed. This created a serious leak, especially while sailing, that I had trouble finding and fixing.

Back to the v-berth water tank. As I recall, there's some sort of overflow/vent plumbing, consisting of 3/4" clear plastic tubing running, originating under the small forward hatchboard, along the port side, under v-berth to the bulkhead. From there, I believe it drains directly into the bilge, though I've never really pursued this. I also find it interesting that there's several low-spots, where water could accumulate in this hose.

I'll be at the boat tomorrow - I can double check the configuration. I find it odd that Tartan would run the forward water-tank overflow forward, through/under the forward bulkhead so to drain in the anchor locker. I could see wanting a loop, especially since our locker and drains are usually under bow wake/water when sailing. Everything in our boat drains to the bilge.

I hope this helps,
Don

P.S. As a note to the original post - I removed the rotted plywood divider and let the chain settle naturally into the full locker. I do find that the chain settles too far forward and I usually help it pile further back into the locker. Alchemy's suggestion might help push the chain back into the locker.
This is something I intend to do -- divide my anchor locker, but I thought i would use starboard (already have it) and screw it in with right-angle brackets.

My drain (I don't have a Tartan) just goes straight from the bottom of the anchor locker to the outside without any other plumbing, so I will pour a little water in there, make sure I have the lowest spot, and drill a large half-hold.

Comments, criticisms and suggestions welcomed!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 21:32   #7

Starboard is a good idea - if I were to add the divider, I'd probably use starboard (though the plywood lasted a good 10 years).
Old 17-04-2013, 22:01   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Starboard is a good idea - if I were to add the divider, I'd probably use starboard (though the plywood lasted a good 10 years).

Thanks.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 11:00   #9

IF I were to ever divide my anchor locker I'd place the divider fore/aft not side to side. And give each anchor line it's own hawse pipe leading to it's side.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 11:17   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mine does a limber hole thing into my bilge. no tubes, no hoses, no muss--just into bilge, runs into main bilge and out to sea with a good pumping. i add a lil vinegar to neutralize any sea life i may have missed when cleaning my chain as it comes onto deck....

mine is center divided longitudinally so as to maintain efficient chain retrieval without fouling
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 11:49   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Catalinas have the same plywood divider setup as the Tartans.

For drains I have 1.25" holes on each side of the bow, which orginate in the lowest part of the anchor locker. The holes have fiberglass cowlings over them, with the opening to the rear. They drain the locker very fast.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 12:09   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you never intend to keep anything in your anchor locker besides the primary rode, then no need for any divider.

My anchor locker has a divider molded in from the original build. I keep 330 feet of half-inch chain in the port side, with fenders above that when sailing. In the starboard side, I keep 300 feet of polyester braid rode for my kedge anchor, plus 30 feet of chain in a bucket, then the Fortress kedge itself. Then when sailing, fenders and dock lines on top of that. Each side has its own overboard drain, and there is a watertight bulkhead between the anchor locker and the forepeak.

The purpose of dividing the anchor locker is simply to allow you to stow stuff other than the primary anchor rode.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker