Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 16:45   #1

Boat: Muira, 1981, 30.8 ft
Disembarking from a Dingy

The cost of learning! I have recently acquired a 30.8 foot Muira and starting to learn the ropes of long distance sailing...not got that far yet. So 2 days ago, I had to move off the mooring (for marina maintenance), and secure to a buoy. All went well (ish) till I returned to the fingers and fell into the drink while disembarking from a hard dingy. The stern moved away while the crewman held the bow...and I took a swim. Tomorrow, I have to return to the ship and move off the buoy.
So here's the question, how do you experienced folks get in..and out the dingy all the time, without taking a plunge, especially in outside bays when the yacht is moving all the time in wind and currents.
Footnote: the owner is approaching 60 and has a middle aged spread. Well just a little..and it won't go away.

Thanks for any advice on this very simple activity.
aquabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:07   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Disembarking from a Dingy

Aquabrat,

You don't say what kind of dinghy you have, but assuming it's something on the order of a plastic or plywood rowing dinghy, always step to or from the middle, preferably to something firm that you can see clearly before you start your move.

Inflatable dinghies are more stable. But they don't row well.

Ann
Old 20-02-2014, 17:10   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I crawl like a baby.

Weirdly enough its a great killer of men getting into and out of the dink whilst drunk. Falling and hitting their heads and drowning.

So I crawl in when i am sober so i remember to do it when i am drunk.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

keep central in the dinghy,never stand up untill holding on to the vessel.
allways pull towards the vessel using the lower body,ie legs rather than arms once standing.
keep weight central.
allow passengers to mount first if more than one in the dinghy,remain seated,whilst holding on when others board.
easy
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:17   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I crawl like a baby.

Weirdly enough its a great killer of men getting into and out of the dink whilst drunk. Falling and hitting their heads and drowning.

Ohhhhhh how I enjoy your posts.
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 18:21   #6

Like they say, it's all balance. Keep your weight low and centered and hold on or crawl as some do.....

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 18:30   #7

If you have to exit to a boat with high freeboard, crawling would require you to be equipped with suction pads. Or be a human fly.

For situations where you do have to stand up, it may be worth pointing out that you have to use your body as a temporary 'painter' to keep the dinghy close to whatever you're planning to climb up onto.

This means throughout the transfer, your upper body needs to stay further than your contact patch with the dinghy is, from the place you are exiting to. This way your feet or foot is continually urging the dinghy up against the boat or dock or whatever, right up to the moment you step up.

Otherwise you end up like the flipper of a toggle switch, sending the dinghy away from that place, and out from under you.

If the dinghy is not stable enough or your arms are too short, you'll have to find a way to hitch the real painter (bow-rope) to perform this function temporarily but reliably. One way I sometimes do it is to make sure the painter is very securely tied to the boat, then grasp the painter firmly with both hands and lean back against it before climbing up onto whatever it is I have to climb up.

Remember you don't have to exit over the bow: it usually makes more sense to go over the stern or the side, whichever is more stable.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 18:41   #8

Gee...keeping low and HOLDING ON TO SOMETHING is kinda basic small boating 101, like a canoe.

Wait, wait, wait...I have to ask my wife and dig up the picture of her a$$ over teakettle when she fell in between "yachts" at a raft up party.

Maybe she won't let me post it.

It's a very good question that should be answered by reading "Sailing For Dummies."

Good luck, stay low, hang on.

PS - We only have a stern ladder on our closed transom boat. Haven't fallen in since that "incident." Those with walk through transoms have NO blinkin' excuse.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 01:52   #9

Thanks for all the input folks! Yes Stu..small boating 101 is what its all about..but how often do we take that step and the dam thing moves away "splash".

I think Andrews suggestion to tie the painter seems appropriate and I will try that today. Can't start to imagine how many times you guys have climbed in and out of the dink during your sailing adventures. Must be some funny stories to laugh about...anyways markj "not cool to crawloff the tub". MOB just wont work (but thats another story.)

I havent even started my sailing career and already the most simplest of activities presents inself as an obstacle to happy sailing..guess I am just going to have learn the hard way and improvise as I go along.

Will keep you updated on how this afternoon goes getting into the dingy and back onto the boat (in calm weather and in a harbour). My thoughts go out to you guys in the Beeg seas. Cheers and thanks again.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:49   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

You might consider a line from the stern of the dinghy as well as the painter. Keeps both ends under control while you get in or out. I do this when lifting the outboard on or off. Or get used to carrying a change off clothes with you.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 12:48   #11

Success! Its funny how the fear of repeating the same wet mistake keeps you focused..and over-cautious. Tied both dingy bow and stern lines to the mothership, and that worked fine. It must a little different tho in bumpy seas..but that will be another learning lesson for later. Thanks to all.
Old 21-02-2014, 12:53   #12

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I crawl like a baby.

I want to see the video! Please!
Old 21-02-2014, 13:58   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabrat View Post
Success! Its funny how the fear of repeating the same wet mistake keeps you focused..and over-cautious. Tied both dingy bow and stern lines to the mothership, and that worked fine. It must a little different tho in bumpy seas..but that will be another learning lesson for later. Thanks to all.
Exactly, just keep remembering this style of learning process and apply it to anything boating and soon you will be cruising zen master.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 13:59   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Don't give up on the change of clothes yet.

Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 14:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
You might consider a line from the stern of the dinghy as well as the painter. Keeps both ends under control while you get in or out. I do this when lifting the outboard on or off. Or get used to carrying a change off clothes with you.

Yes Tie both ends, take a breath and watch for wave action, when you stand hold on to the mothership, time your boarding to the high point of the wave action. Each dingy is different, some tip very easy and some are more stable. Get to know how far out you can safely stand on yours. I usualy stand on the seat in ahard dingy. With an inflatable you can stand on the side tube to get in.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote