Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2012, 00:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Dingy anchor

I just bought a Gardian G5 for the dingy. It's made by Fortress, but they don't produce a Fortress model that small. The Gardian is almost identical to the Fortress, but is not anodised, has only 1 fluke angle setting and does not have the lifetime guarantee.
I wanted to keep the weight down and it does that at only about 1 kg. I tried it today without the 2m of chain recommended. Without the chain I was not expecting much, but hoped it would provide enough to hold the dingy by the stern so that it did not rub on a pier or jetty.
I was pleasantly surprised it set well and held the dingy easy in 20k winds with no chain.
Next I tried it in shallow water near the beach it disappeared below the sand and I could not pull it out with my full force.

I think in more difficult bottoms it will need some weight from chain to set, but if you want a very lightweight means of anchoring the dingy with no rust it's worth considering. It's several times the cost of the folding grapnel type dingy anchors, but not very expensive in terms of boat dollars.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 02:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Dingy anchor

Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 10:21   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I use a 4kg Rocna for the dingy. The little one (.05kg) is a bottle opener.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	40323  
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 10:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I have been using the same 5# SeaFit folding grapnel anchor on our dinghy's since 1987.

We have a canvas beach bag that holds the anchor, 15 feet of 1/4" chain and 100 feet of 3/8" brait that we keep in the bottom of the dinghy. This rig seems to work pretty well and is quite convenient.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 10:43   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I have been using the same 5# SeaFit folding grapnel anchor on our dinghy's since 1987.

We have a canvas beach bag that holds the anchor, 15 feet of 1/4" chain and 100 feet of 3/8" brait that we keep in the bottom of the dinghy. This rig seems to work pretty well and is quite convenient.

FWIW...
We have ben using the same anchor for diving/snoling on our dinghy weighing in at about 360 pounds... The only difference is we use a 50 foot length of 1/4" line with 15 feet of 1/4" chain. It has worked great!

I guess it depends on your use more than anything else.... If you are planning to leave your dinghy, unattended for long periods of time or overnight somewhere, you might want something more substantial, but for fishing or diving you don't really need serious ground tackle.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:02   #6

A 1kgDelta sounds great! Yeah, no chain required for the dink. I use an old very small danforth.... just because I got it at a yard sale for $5

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 11:11   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We have ben using the same anchor for diving/snoling on our dinghy weighing in at about 360 pounds... The only difference is we use a 50 foot length of 1/4" line with 15 feet of 1/4" chain. It has worked great!

I guess it depends on your use more than anything else.... If you are planning to leave your dinghy, unattended for long periods of time or overnight somewhere, you might want something more substantial, but for fishing or diving you don't really need serious ground tackle.
Tom,

Here's a trick we use when we're going ashore and worried about the dink taking a walk. We carry a stainless steel screw anchor of the type used for dog leashes. When we get near shore I untie the rode from our anchor chain and pass the line through the last link, drop the anchor off and feed the rhode out as we head into the beach. In about knee deep water, I screw the screw anchor into the bottom, pass the rhode through the ring on that anchor and tie it and the other end of the anchor line to out bow painter. With that I can haul on the looped rhode and float the dinghy back off-shore where she sits patiently waiting for us to return. (Few are willing to swim out to a dinghy, particularly if there's a "Diver Down" flag flying from a staff on it.) To relocate the screw anchor, I have a length or 1/8" line that passes through an old tennis ball and is tied to the screw anchor. The tennis ball is easy to spot, even at night. If you are going to leave the dinghy at night with this arrangement, it wise to set up a solar powered garden light on a piece of plastic tubing that passes through a couple of pipe clamps screwed to the transom so someone else doesn't bang into the dink in the dark.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 15:00   #8

Boat: CS 36t

Does anyone have any real world experience with the Cooper anchor for a dinghy? It is a very intriguing design and I have wondered why they don't scale it up.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 17:59   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

We use the folding type. Ours is probably way too heavy but we use it since it came with the bigger boat. I guess what holds the dink in place is more our little hook's weight than anything else.

BTW I was thinking about a small Bruce for the dink for a time now as it seems to have the least of sharp edges (inflatable dink here).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor