Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2010, 15:12   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Penelope - Thanks, that helps!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 15:52   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I got rid of the CQR and bought a Delta. We dragged often with the CQR but not with the Delta. Also, I don't have to worry about crushing my thumb anymore.
Ditto! (except I've never crushed my thumb)
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 20:21   #18

Boat: Hans Christian 38T "Penelope"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Ditto! (except I've never crushed my thumb)
Thats Funny
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 21:14   #19

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
I bought a Fortress FX-33 as a 'spare' for Layla some time ago and have not even assembled it yet - It seems to have two different fluke angles possible; for 'generic' use around SE US and Northern Bahamas/Abacos, which one of these angles is recommended?

Also, do you keep the Fortress assembled full time? If so, where do you store it so it's ready to use on short notice as Cheechako mentioned?

Not meaning to steal the thread of course thought it is related enough...

Fair winds and peaceful anchorages!..

Sailndive
Hey my Pleasure. Anchor drills are just as important as field dressing a weapon. It will be ready to use when you need it most semper fi did I just say that ? oh well once a Jarhead Always a Jarhead . A prudent Mariner constantly monitors the conditons, and acts accordingly think its time to reef ?? Reef heck put in two its easier to take one out than put one in. Anchoring is the same feel like you may need another? Get it out now! It will be good practice if you end up not having to use it. I have posted these two photos .My FX-37 in the bag in the closet the bag contains 18 inch pieces of fire hose for chafe protection the FX-37 two 9/16ths wrenches a spare clip 3spare bolts and nuts, shackle with safety wire ready to use. the other photo is of my FX-55 ,Shackle with wire ready to use two 3/4 wrenches zip tied to shank (not in view)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stowed 37.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	12594   Click image for larger version

Name:	stowed 55.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	12595  

Old 18-01-2010, 10:15   #20

"Holy cow sounds like a close one. Also sounds like the Delta was doing its Job. What size was it. What size Fortress did you use? "
It was an FX 37 as I remember. RIgged and ready to go on the fordeck stancion. The Delta was a....55 lb sound right? it was the biggest short of 75 lb anyway.. whatever that one is... Once I got it on board it was a big Clay ball.... couldnt even see the anchor much... took a while to clean it off! Oh, I forgot to mention this happened at 6 am and I was out at the wheel in my skivvies! The rain was blowing sideways so hard I couldnt keep my eyes open... just had to blink to see...... Damn cruising is fun!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 20:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"Holy cow sounds like a close one. Also sounds like the Delta was doing its Job. What size was it. What size Fortress did you use? "
It was an FX 37 as I remember. RIgged and ready to go on the fordeck stancion. The Delta was a....55 lb sound right? it was the biggest short of 75 lb anyway.. whatever that one is... Once I got it on board it was a big Clay ball.... couldnt even see the anchor much... took a while to clean it off! Oh, I forgot to mention this happened at 6 am and I was out at the wheel in my skivvies! The rain was blowing sideways so hard I couldnt keep my eyes open... just had to blink to see...... Damn cruising is fun!
Out Standing! I can't Waite !
Old 21-01-2010, 21:08   #22
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
We use delta. Like fortress /danforth but the last couple I had buried so deep in storms they bent the flukes getting them up. Read that article where guy lost boat in fiji islands. Broke 2 snubbers then rode , but delta didn't drag in hurricane. The only time we dragged was on bohicket creek in SC. Locals call bottom ploof (sp?) Mud. Seems to be liquid at top gaining viscosity as you get deeper and deeper in mud. Didn't drag much and took long time of 4kt current and gale winds
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cqr, delta