Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2008, 11:59   #16

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
come across the bridge and go to Bacons, you can get a used dansforth to play with for around 50 bucks.

right now i am using a roughly 30 lb dansforth on 15 feet of 5/16 chain with a 17 lb dansforth on 4 feet of chain attached to a rope rode ( both chains attached to rope ) i have played with it once i set it up to try to get it to drag... no drag including 180 degree changes under power. my boat is 7200 lbs
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:15   #17

Boat: CSY33
I'm surprised at the insistence on long lengths of chain for anchoring in the Chesapeake. For 20+ years I anchored with a 25lb CQR, 10 ft of chain and a 5/8" rode. Never had a problem. I mean, really, this is the Chesapeake. The bottom is sticky and if you have a protected location - which you should - you should be fine. The original problem on this thread I say is the anchor. If it's not working for you, then change it. Probably go for the Fortress. But whatever, you need a bigger one than you have. Fix that first and try it before you shell out money for more chain.

"The other anchor copies sold by Lewmar are the Claw(Bruce) and CQR. If the dismal test results of these two are anything to go by..."

It's a funny thing about tests and the CQR. The tests say it isn't very good. People who have them say they are great. The SSCA gear survey of blue water cruiser's highly rates the CQR based on their collective experience. As I said above, I liked mine.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
The most up to date book on the subject (2008) is by Alain Poiraud, titled The Complete Anchoring Handbook...
The Complete Anchoring Handbook
By Alain Poiraud, Achim Ginsberg-Klemmt
Goto:
The Complete Anchoring Handbook ... - Google Book Search

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:19   #19

I believe, as others have said, you have neither enough chain nor anchor. As a comparison, on Seraph, our 6k lb Cape Dory 25D, I use a 22 lb bruce with 30 feet of chain. Try a 33 lb anchor and 40 feet of chain and I'll bet you'll be a happy camper.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06   #20
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
........you have neither enough chain nor anchor. As a comparison, on Seraph, our 6k lb Cape Dory 25D, I use a 22 lb bruce with 30 feet of chain. Try a 33 lb anchor and 40 feet of chain........

This is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. but, (as usual) it should also be a compromise; a big anchor and a large quantity of heavy chain will also ad some undesired weight at the bow of the boat,

With a « New gen » efficient anchor, for your Cape Dory 25D, you can reduce the weight down to 7,5 kg (15,5 lbs) and at the same time with a much better holding..
Old 15-10-2008, 14:24   #21

Boat: Gemini,3200, 32', My-Gem-An-I
Thanks all for the advise, let me tell you what I did and the results.
I added another 10' of 3/8 chain, and a bridle ( made withe a line to the rode about 15' long, bridle cleated to one hull, rode to the other) and anchored 5 times overnight. the improvement was pretty dramatic. However it did pull loose after being in the same spot for 2 days with the wind the same direction, 15-20kts, but I think that was because the bottom was soupy mud and the delta never penetrated to the thicker lower level.
Bob
bobalpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 15:04   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
If I am reading your previous mails correctly, you now have 20ft of 3/8 chain. I would still consider that to be considerably less than I would have on a kedge let alone the main system. I reckon you should have at least 3 times that. That will make a big difference.
Old 23-10-2008, 04:47   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
After reading of the modifications and still dragging in 20k I think it's scope.

I used to have a 26' express cruiser, 8000lbs and high freeboard. 22 lb Bruce and 10' of chain plus rope rode. During a day anchor we saw a dark front heading our way. We put out a 10:1 scope in 6' of water and were hit with 40k winds. Didn't budge an inch.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta