Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02   #1

Delta Anchors Really Self Launching?

We currently use a 60 lb CQR. We don't really have any complaints, save one. It's not self-launching, which means I need to manhandle the 60 pound hunk, along with the related 3/8" chain, off the roller and down into the water before relying on the windless. Also, but much less of an issue, the CQR is not the easiest anchor to set. That said, once we get her in, she holds like a champ, at least in our experience.

Nevertheless, it's tempting to get a 70 lb Delta for the self-launching feature, and I guess it would be an added bonus that the Delta supposedly sets more easily.

My main question is whether the Delta in fact is a self-launching anchor off of a standard bow roller.

Thoughts?
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12   #2
Eternal Member

Dan,

I don't know about the Delta, but I have had both a 45lb and a 60lb CQR anchor. Self-launching has never been a problem. Here's my secret:

Before getting to the anchoring spot, go forward, pull a little chain off the windlass, and position the anchor at about a 45-degree angle on the bow roller. (The damned "smart" filter on this Board kept taking out the proper term, which is the same thing you do when you pull the hammer back on a gun).

Then, when you get over the spot where you want to launch it, you just have to press a button (mine is in the cockpit) and the anchor will deploy without any difficulty at all.

I've used the 45lb CQR from Maine to Grenada with great success EXCEPT for the Chesapeake region, where I use a Fortress or a Danforth. All-chain 3/8" HT rode.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Delta anchor is called self launching, which refers to the anchor's ability to launch from a bow roller on its own, by releasing the windlass & stopper. However, some sentient being has to release the chain stopper - the Anchor doesn't know when to launch..

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
However, some sentient being has to release the chain stopper - the Anchor doesn't know when to launch..
Oh, forget it then. I thought it actually told me where to drop the hook and that the anchor just handled the whole process by itself. Sometimes I'm not much smarter than your average anchor anyway, so I might be better off leaving most of the decisions up to a Delta.

Hi Bill, hope things are well by you. I've played that game too, and it does work. Our situation is that my wife has to stop whatever she's doing (usually throwing something heavy at the kids), come to the helm, and then I need to go forward and wrestle with 75lbs of metal or so to get the anchor in a position to go overboard without swinging back on the way down and hitting our topsides (very little overhang at the bow, as she's fairly plumb), and then I pay out the anchor as the Admiral backs down from the help, all while the kids are pulling hoses off of seacocks somewhere. If it could rig it so that from the helm I could just hit the down button on the windless and the anchor runs out nice and smooth, it would make that process that much easier. But you are right that the CQR is not impossible to launch, just not as easy.

Gord, I have a short snubber and chain hook setup I use to keep the anchor in place while on the roller, and you are right that in all events someone has to go forward to free it before launching the anchor, but that's a fair bit less arduous than sumo wrestling a 60lb anchor plus enough 3/8" chain over the roller.

I'll probably not make a change, just because the benefit probably doesn't outweigh the $500 for the Delta, but who knows. We could use a third hook anyway, so that might be my excuse to give it a try.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14   #5

Boat: CS 36t
Do you have a picture of your current setup? My own experience is that CQR anchors are self launching so I am wondering whether you have a setup that is preventing it? If this is the case, switching anchors would not be the correct cure but changing the setup would be.

Are you set on a delta or open to considering other designs? I am curious as to how you decided on this anchor. I don't want to derail your thread onto a which anchor is best thread though.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Do you have a picture of your current setup? My own experience is that CQR anchors are self launching so I am wondering whether you have a setup that is preventing it? If this is the case, switching anchors would not be the correct cure but changing the setup would be.

Are you set on a delta or open to considering other designs? I am curious as to how you decided on this anchor. I don't want to derail your thread onto a which anchor is best thread though.
Not at all derailing. Self-launching sort of is the theme. I've had CQR's on three boats now, and they've never been self-launching by the way, at least not with the non-hinging bow rollers that I've had.

Anyway, our current boat is a standard Beneteau 49. I don't have a great pic of the roller setup, but below are the couple that I have:

Here's the view from deck (as best as I have at the moment):

Old 06-03-2010, 13:37   #7

I've been using a 35# Delta as my primary anchor for the past 10 years, while cruising around the Keys and the Bahamas in my Hunter 30. It has never let me down.

I do not have a windlass, so must manually deploy and retrieve my anchor. Of interest to you may be the fact that once raised, if I do not tie it off to the bow roller, it will head right back into the water. The weight of the head appears sufficient to allow it to self-launch.

As far as size goes, according to West Marines sizing chart, you would probably be well-served by a 44# or 55# Delta.

You may enjoy watching the anchoring videos posted today by Maine Sail on the Sailnet forum. It shows why you CQR was so tough to set.

Anyway, have fun and stay safe!
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 13:56   #8

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
My 45# CQR has been in the garage for 5 years. A 44# Delta has been the choice, it works 90+% of the time.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:01   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Our delta 45lb drops at a touch of a button. Has served us faithfully in plenty of gale conditions.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 16:47   #10

Boat: CS 36t
Looking at the pictures, there doesn't appear to be anything inherently wrong with your setup. To get the anchor started, either the entire roller assembly needs to be angled downhill or the weight of the anchor must be enough to lift the stock and chain up. Given that you are using 3/8" chain and the windlass isn't right at the end of the anchor stock, you are lifting a considerable amount of chain as well as the weight of the stock to get the anchor angled correctly for it to fall on its own. I don't know how the location of the balance point relative to the stock on the delta versus the cqr compares maybe someone else does? You could also go into a store and try this as well. What is important is how far up the stock the balance point of the anchor is. As you can imagine, if the balance point is at the fluke of the anchor, it will not self launch however if it is close to the end of the stock, it will.

Do you have a dock neighbor who has a delta and would let you try it on your roller? Maybe you should even look into the new gen anchors?
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 17:29   #11
Eternal Member

Klem is right. It's what I tried to say in my first post. There's no way in hell your setup wouldn't work fine with a CQR or a Delta or...just about any other anchor.

Loosen a bit of chain (you have to go forward anyway to take off the locking snubber you use). Lift the stock of the anchor....this isn't "hefting 60lbs or so"...it's simply lifting the stock and pushing it, wiggling it, out on the roller enough so that it balances along the shaft in a way that it will deploy when you hit the button to let more chain out.

This isn't rocket science. Nor is it difficult. Nor does it require two persons -- whatever the kids may be destroying below.

I sail singlehanded much of the time. I can do it by myself. Easily.

So can you.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 18:23   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
A Delta has almost the same shank profile as the Rocna. Photos attached of a self launching anchor. The same setup worked with a previous CQR. Perhaps this will give you some ideas of an alternative?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	13709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	13710  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	13711  
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 20:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
You may enjoy watching the anchoring videos posted today by Maine Sail on the Sailnet forum. It shows why you CQR was so tough to set.
Can't seem to find that. Got a link?
Old 07-03-2010, 00:36   #14

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Warning: bit depressing for CQR owners
Old 07-03-2010, 05:41   #15

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Woww! Amazing comparison, idpnd. Loved the music, too.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta