Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
A Delta has almost the same shank profile as the Rocna. Photos attached of a self launching anchor. The same setup worked with a previous CQR. Perhaps this will give you some ideas of an alternative?
That looks like a pivoting anchor roller, no? If true, that would make any anchor self-launching. In my case, cheaper to buy a different hook, than to redo the anchor roller setup.
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Warning: bit depressing for CQR owners
I did ultimately find it, thanks. You're right, from the video you would think that the CQR never can be set in sand, but I'll tell you, I have done it myself on more than one boat. The guy who posted that video and did that test (Maine Sail) is a very experienced guy who is fair-minded, in my experience anyway, so I put credence into his view and work. And it is true that the CQR can be a bit finicky to set (though once set I've never dragged with one), but I can tell you that the anchor is not as "bad" as that video makes it seem.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:40   #18

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I suppose underwater dynamics must be different or perhaps its particularly hard sand it can't cope with. Nonetheless plenty of magazine anchor tests, just the look of the thing, and finally this video have convinced me to swap out the (huge) CQR that came with my boat for something else..
Old 07-03-2010, 08:27   #19

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
bow setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Not at all derailing. Self-launching sort of is the theme. I've had CQR's on three boats now, and they've never been self-launching by the way, at least not with the non-hinging bow rollers that I've had.

Anyway, our current boat is a standard Beneteau 49. I don't have a great pic of the roller setup, but below are the couple that I have:

Here's the view from deck (as best as I have at the moment):

I am sorry to say this but as a boatbuilder of 50 years I would realy worry about anchoring with your present system in any strong winds. The pressure you would exert on the bow could do some serious damage in strong winds. The bow is just not strong enough to take the loads. If I was you I would get shorter bow rollers of the self launch type and beef up the deck where they are fitted
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
I am sorry to say this but as a boatbuilder of 50 years I would realy worry about anchoring with your present system in any strong winds. The pressure you would exert on the bow could do some serious damage in strong winds. The bow is just not strong enough to take the loads. If I was you I would get shorter bow rollers of the self launch type and beef up the deck where they are fitted
I run a bridle made from 3/4" three strand from the anchor chain directly to both mooring cleats, so there is no load on the roller (or windlass) when anchored.

By the way, shorter bow rollers are not a great option here in any event, as the bow is relatively plumb, and as it is I get nervous about the anchor banging off the topsides as it is deployed or retrieved.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
As a boatbuilder, you might have considered that anchor rollers are (should be) used for storing, launching and retrieving anchors.
They shouldn’t be used as “fairleads” for deployed anchor rodes.
The rode should run directly to the pictured cleats, placing NO load on the rollers.

Which cleats are mounted on the rail, where lesser builders might have place fairleads, builing in an unneccesary chaffe point.

Were it my boat, I’d consider removing the (2) short decorative teak toe rails, replacing them with additional cleats.

Excepting that I don’t see a chain stopper, I like his bow arrangement.

If the BOW won't take the load ......

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta