Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 04:20   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Damaged windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The instructions might explain it.
If you have a copy of instructions, or source thereof, please pass on. Lofrans site has exploded parts diagram only.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:11   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks! If I understand the double negative logic, since our windlass turns clockwise to retrieve chain, I would turn the clutch nut counterclockwise to tighten it, and clockwise to loosen it. Correct?

Appreciate the info!

Steve
My windlass is not a Lofrans but a very similar horizontal design and that is how my clutch works IE I turn the nut clockwise (as seen looking at the end of the shaft where the nut attaches) to loosen the clutches.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:26   #18

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My windlass is not a Lofrans but a very similar horizontal design and that is how my clutch works IE I turn the nut clockwise (as seen looking at the end of the shaft where the nut attaches) to loosen the clutches.
Thanks, Skipmac!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My windlass is a Lewmar horizontal model and the clutch is turned clockwise to tighten.

I'm not sure this translates from brand to brand.
Old 01-09-2017, 22:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My windlass is a Lewmar horizontal model and the clutch is turned clockwise to tighten.

I'm not sure this translates from brand to brand.
Thanks, Ron. This confirms that there is a difference between brands. Our windlass is a vertical Lofrans. Still no response from Lofrans to my query as to which way I should turn the clutch nut to loosen it.

Our windlass rotates clockwise to raise the chain. (Although I don't recall ever seeing a vertical windlass that was designed to rotate counterclockwise to raise the chain.)

Steve
Old 02-09-2017, 04:16   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just think, not always a good way to start the day, but does it matter which way it turns?

Your main proble is your nut is frozen. It your second problem is your clutch may be too loose. If you loosen the nut good, then you can tighten it to tighten the clutch. If you tighten the nut, well at least it's moving, and now you can tighten the clutch to prove that's the problem you started with.

Personally I would not worry about which way, I'd just concentrate on rotation.

I feel your frustration.

When all else fails.... beat it with a hammer until it gives in or dies. Either way you have resolution.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
..............., but does it matter which way it turns?

Your main proble is your nut is frozen. It your second problem is your clutch may be too loose. If you loosen the nut good, then you can tighten it to tighten the clutch. If you tighten the nut, well at least it's moving, and now you can tighten the clutch to prove that's the problem you started with.

Personally I would not worry about which way, I'd just concentrate on rotation.

When all else fails.... beat it with a hammer until it gives in or dies. Either way you have resolution.

Good luck.
He needs to know which way to turn the nut to loosen it. This may be a place where left handed threads were used. If he is trying to turn the nut counterclockwise but the threads are left handed, he would actually be trying to tighten the nut. Is that clear?

Three more thoughts:

1) Call the company's customer support number. That may be faster than an email.

2) Look on the Internet for a company that repairs or services windlasses. Call them and ask.

3) An impact wrench would be a good tool to use on the nut once you know which way to turn it to loosen it.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:31   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So what! He needs to tighten then it, the clutch is loose. It's supposed to turn both ways.

The good news is (IIRC) he's in Italy and Lofrans is an Italian mfg.

They are NOT easy to deal with. I had to get a new gypsy for my windlass, changed chain from BBB to G4. Finding a dealer is an issue. I think Defender is only USA provider. When I got one it was miss marked, it didn't work. I had to send it back and get a different one. Some have stamping a on the casting, some don't, I've seen one report where the casting marks were wrong. So that's what you are dealing with.

More than likely he is on his own on this one.

Once I tried calling aha mad about an issue. They were totally clueless. The manual read that for this issue "recovery is difficult to impossible." They read me the words from the manual, which I already had read. Gee thanks. Difficult is not impossibl, just difficult. But I was on my lonesome to figure it out. Especially when in remote places some of us like to travel in.

Good windlass though.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:51   #24

Quote:
So what! He needs to tighten then it, the clutch is loose. It's supposed to turn both ways. .........
Again, He needs to know which way to turn the nut to loosen it.

Once he gets the nut loose, he can clean up the threads and he will hopefully be able to adjust the clutch. He can't do this until he frees the stuck nut.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:08   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

In future it needless to say is a good idea to understand the workings of your windlass but also to maintain it. They are expensive, tend to get doused in salt water more than most other hardware, and are subject to a lot of abuse.

I take apart and clean the clutch and gypsy on my Lighthouse once a year as a matter of course, primarily to inspect parts that are hidden from view.

I also loosen, break free, and reset/retighten the clutch at least once a week and often every time I anchor, since it allows me to pay out rode faster than using the motor. That said, my clutch has a dog wheel that I can easily operate by hand, or with a kick of my heel if necessary.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:20   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the parts list I saw some rachets palls, and I didn't see any way to reverse or release them. Perhaps there is. Which made me wonder how he lowered the chain.

Maybe he took it off the Gipsey and let it fall? Doesn't sound right either. Feel like I'm missing something.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:34   #27

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks, Ron. This confirms that there is a difference between brands. Our windlass is a vertical Lofrans. Still no response from Lofrans to my query as to which way I should turn the clutch nut to loosen it.

Our windlass rotates clockwise to raise the chain. (Although I don't recall ever seeing a vertical windlass that was designed to rotate counterclockwise to raise the chain.)

Steve
It does happen, either in one designed for dual windlass installations or when someone finds the odd half of a pair inexpensively😀
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:01   #28

Sorry everyone, we left Albania on Saturday for Montenegro and I just got a SIM card today for wireless.

I got some input from someone with a vertical Lofrans windlass very similar to ours. He also had issues with his unit being corroded and unable to turn the clutch nut. He told me that the nut loosens counter clockwise, i.e., normally. Now I can bang on it in the right direction.

A little background - we have had Orontes II for several years and this nut has never been free to turn. I worked on it in Texas before leaving the states but was never able to free it. Up until this time we have lowered chain electrically by using the footswitch. Because it worked, although I could not drop the anchor in free fall, this had not made its way to the top of the "to do" list.

When the ferry fouled our chain, they yanked on it hard enough to pull over 150 feet of chain out. This is why I believe the pawls or the wormwheel (which the pawls ratchet against) are broken. I don't see any way to pull the chain out if the pawls are engaged.

I will be in Corfu, Greece in about two and a half weeks. If anyone has a recommendation of someone in Corfu who has big biceps, a big hammer, and a torch to heat it, I would appreciate it. Once we get the unit disassembled I can try to figure out if it can be repaired.

Thanks to all for the input!

Steve
Old 04-09-2017, 07:12   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Could be Paul's, but sounds more like the clutch to me. So I think you have reason for hope IF you can free that damn nut.

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:01   #30

Quote:
Could be Paul's, but sounds more like the clutch to me. So I think you have reason for hope IF you can free that damn nut.

Good luck.
Thanks! Mr. Nut and I will have a long conversation over the next few weeks. I may possibly comment on his lineage, etc.

Now that I know which way to turn it, there is an increased probability of success!

Steve

Tags
wind, windlass