Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 12:45   #1

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
CQR anchor---- is it good for the Bahamas?

Ok, I don't want a war, just some sound advise. I have a 35 lb car that has been great for me anchoring along the U.S. east coast from NJ to Fl.
I will be cruising the Bahamas after the new year. A new Rockna 15 would be really nice, but, is it truly something I need to sacrifice for. I was happy with my cqr until reading the less than complimentary comments on old style ground tackle. I will be using 100 ft of 5/16 ht chain and my new lewmar windlass.
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: CQR anchor---- is it good for the Bahamas?

Had a CQR 35 lbs for my 33' cutter and dragged all night in the Bahamas.
Once I got home to Florida, got me a 55 lbs Delta and sailed happily with it on numerous occasions in the Keys and the Bahamas.
Then after ten years with the Delta, got a 20 kg, (44 lbs) Rocna.
Would not risk my boat with a CQR, if Rocnas are too expensive, look for a 44 lbs Delta, should be all you need in the Bahamas.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Yes agree with CSY Man, buy a new generation anchor. I know the cost is painfull. Have a good look at the anchoring thread and the photos.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 13:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Link to the thread Pete7 was referring to

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
Old 03-11-2014, 13:24   #5

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 13:31   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I think you would sleep better with a new generation anchor. Ground tackle is not an item to scrimp on. In the olden days I sailed the Bahamas for years with a Bruce and a cqr knockoff. Used the Bruce all the time and the cqr only in grassy bottoms where the Bruce would not dig in. The cqr and all chain (100 ft should do but another 50 ft will really help a lot) might be adequate but like I said you'll sleep a lot better with a Rocna or Manson Supreme. When it really blows I put out about 120 ft of chain and a long, long snubber. And never anchor in more than 10 feet of water.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Another new generation anchor is the Mantus. I have one on my boat and it held solid (as in NO dragging at all) in 50 knot winds in mud.

As the poster above said, the new generation anchors far out perform the older ones. One should also not forget that great second anchors are Fortress, and in my opinion, every boat should have one.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:56   #8
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The cqr and all chain (100 ft should do but another 50 ft will really help a lot) might be adequate but like I said you'll sleep a lot better with a Rocna or Manson Supreme. When it really blows I put out about 120 ft of chain and a long, long snubber. And never anchor in more than 10 feet of water.
Like Rick, we have a new gen (Manson Supreme) and plenty of chain for those windy days. I think if in Exuma, you'd be ok (with the CQR) because it's sand almost everywhere. Be careful in Nassau Harbor. I've dragged with the Manson there once, and have been fine other times. Just pick the right spot. If you're going to Abaco, be careful in White Sound (Green Turtle Cay). Dragged there too in a gale (at midnight, and a new moon...boy was it dark, but we didn't scratch the boat). Turtle Grass, unless you can find a nice sandy patch. Not easy if crowded, and stupid mooring balls laid out in no order.

Usually, I don't worry about charts declaring "poor holding", but sometimes it is very true even with 10:1 scope. Not sure everyone would agree, but a Garmin GPS with drag alarm set is your friend, whatever anchor you use in the Bahamas.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:05   #9

Also, stay away from Honeymoon Harbor on Gun Cay. Popular spot, but very bad holding, even with the best of anchors:
Thin sand over hard bottom, looks good when you snorkel on the anchor, but when the squall pipes up at 2 AM, watch out behind you.
Same in Chubb Cay, holding is mediocre, but not as bad as Honeymoon.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-11-2014, 14:12   #10
cruiser

Your CQR will be just fine if you plan on only anchoring in sand. Don't know what the bottom is like where you're heading. Otherwise, you'd be better off with a new generation anchor. 'Just depends on how much restful sleep you require or how confident you are away from the boat while at anchor.

That said, I had no problems with our 75 pound CQR for our first year in various bottoms. I did upgrade two summers ago to an Ultra 99 pound anchor primarily because of the weed bottoms we now encounter. The main issue with the CQR is that in some bottoms it might require a couple of tries to get it to set properly; after a proper set has been done, they hold really well.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:24   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Anchored 24/7 for a year without a problem. 45# CQR on a 20,000# displacement boat with an all chain rode.

Find it interesting that CSY Man condemns the 35# CQR while praising a 45# replacement anchor. Hmmmm, did the extra 10#s and larger fluke area make a difference??? Lets stick with Apple to Apple comparisons and be specific what boat they are talking about and its displacement. Not saying that a CQR is the be all and end all of anchors just lets compare equals.

Personally, sold the 35# CQRs on my current 35', 13,000# boat and replaced with a 35# Manson Supreme. Did it just because I had the chance to sell the CQRs and got a great price on the Manson. The Manson has worked well but I'm a little concerned if the anchor will reset with a change of pull in a clay bottom. Anchoring in SF Bay, the anchor comes up as a ball of goo largely because the roll bar acts as a dam to trap the clay. If I had a change of direction on the rode wonder if the ball of goo would be able to dig itself back in.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:37   #12

Quote:
. Find it interesting that CSY Man condemns the 35# CQR while praising a 45# replacement anchor. Hmmmm, did the extra 10#s and larger fluke area make a difference??? Lets stick with Apple to Apple comparisons and be specific what boat they are talking about and its displacement. Not saying that a CQR is the be all and end all of anchors just lets compare equals.
Not condemning anything, just reported poor holding by the CQR 35 lbs.
The replacement anchor was a 55 lbs Delta As the CQR was not suited for my cruising area, I did not buy a bigger version of it...

Instead got a bigger AND better anchor and the result was quiet successful for the next 10 years and hundreds of anchor situations. Your mileage may vary, I am just reporting the facts as requested by the original poster.
Old 03-11-2014, 15:37   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Just curious, what did people do for anchoring before these modern anchors?
Yes I have a Rocna now, but the CQR and Danforth I was using were fine as long as you accepted the limitations and stayed within them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:44   #14

What did we do before?
Dragged a lot, almost lost my boat in St. Thomas 30 years ago with a Danforth and a wind change in a thunderstorm.

That is like asking what the old sailing ship captains did before GPS?
They did their best and tried to survive but many times they went up on the rocks and many ships were lost due to limitations in navigation back then.
(No noon sight on a cloudy day and all that)
Old 03-11-2014, 16:09   #15

Boat: gozzard 44

I've had a 60# CQR and never dragged in 12 years and 8000 miles, boat is 30,000# displacement. I, too, fell for the next gen anchors and bought a Manson Supreme 80. Though I've only used it one season it does grab quickly. If you have an oversize CQR you shouldn't have any problems. (Anyone want to buy a genuine CQR60?).

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bahamas, cqr