Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 14:53   #76

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Re: CQR anchor---- is it good for the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Hang in there, and have a Kalik for me.

Ralph

Woke up at the same location we went to bed at. Forgot that Kalik but will do one tonight at West Bay. Much nicer now as the sun sets and only 5 knots of wind. That means another danger tonight - Mosquitos.

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 14:57   #77

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea7King View Post
Lots of "beach rock" (google the term for description), as CSY said, in the Bahamas and often hidden or un-noticed until the wind pipes up. And usually when you least expect a bad anchoring experience. I discovered that CQR's drag badly in this situation in the Bahamas. I bought a new Mantus last spring and it works!

Since you already have the rode, seems like a small enough investment for peace of mind.

I have a Mantus 125 waiting for me in Ft. Lauderdale, as my absolute storm anchor. It can be dismantled for storing.

Rolf
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 15:00   #78
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

As I mentioned earlier, we dragged in White Sound (Green Turtle, Abaco). It was the longest, worst night ever. I just did some googling, and I'm not the only Manson guy that dragged there. Not sure what anchor these guys had, but I think they may have posted here before making the crossing? Anyway, our experience was much like theirs in White Sound - Anchor Watch | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean

To the OP-if you go there, pick up a mooring if they have one. If not, take a slip. Ok to anchor if settled weather. A note from my experience....If you are anchored in a crowded harbor at night during a storm, leave cabin lights on. Someone dragging, trying not to hit you, isn't looking 50' up to see your anchor light. He may not see you before the banging and scraping starts.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 15:51   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Where those cheap worthless garden lights come in handy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 18:16   #80

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Maybe there's a reason the used CQR's are so cheap?
Because all the kool kids have a new gen anchor? Seriously, new gen are great, but a CQR is still a very good anchor and is perfectly fine for most anchoring conditions, especially if you were able to afford an oversize one due to how inexpensive they've become. We don't currently own one but it's only because our current boat didn't come with one. In all my years of using CQR's, I didn't have much trouble getting the CQR to set or to stay set but most of my anchoring was in Maine with nice thick mud where almost any anchor would do pretty well. I'm not suggesting they're better than a modern anchor but they still work just as good as they ever did, which was just fine for generations of cruisers. During my very first attempt to set the spade that came on our current "new to us" boat, it took me two tries to get it to set where I wanted it in front of the Cape May CG station. Maybe eventually I'll get to the point where I agree that a spade is vastly better than my old CQR's were, but I'm just not there yet.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 18:59   #81

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Where those cheap worthless garden lights come in handy
Can't agree with this, for in the storm conditions he quotes, the heavy rain and spray obliterate the feeble light from the garden light. Especially if the storm strikes at say o400 when the garden light is having a nap, worn out from being on duty for a few hours.

I keep hearing that some garden lights are much better than others, but so far they don't seem to have made it to the anchorages that we have been in!

I personally use and recommend a second BRIGHT LED anchor light somewhere in teh lower rigging, supplementing the masthead light. Ours is a Bebi, hung from a lazy jack... there are many such lights available, and many places to deploy them. They are far better than a masthead light for in-close maneuvering IMO, and really much easier to see than cabin lights.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-11-2014, 19:12   #82
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Most anchoring conditions are the easy part.
Any old anchor will hold for the steady 20-25 knot breeze.
What separates the men from the boys is the 40 to 50 knot squall.
Or the 75 knot hurricane.
I plan for the worst, not hope for the best.
Back in the day people carried 3 anchors: A lunch hook, a working anchor and a storm anchor.
After having dragged left and right I tossed the first 2 and used the storm anchor every day, even for lunch.
Never had a problem ever since.
My every day anchor for 10 years on a CSY 33' cutter was a 55# Delta, just a tad overkill.
For a back-up I had an FX-55 Fortress, huge anchor with a measured holding power of 16,000 lbs, same as the
Displacement of the boat from the factory. (Before I added 7,000 lbs of gear and stuff, had to raise the water line twice)
Had no problems ever, but when Rocna came around with the next generation, I replaced the 55 Delta with a 44 Rocna, kept the huge Fortess stowed under the cockpit sole and had another Fortress 37 for a back-up working anchor. Never used it however.
Some of us go for BIG anchors, others Don't give a damn and stay with the little or old anchors because they worked for years.
Great, it you sleep good with a Piece of Sh!t anchor holding your boat at night, go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-11-2014, 05:34   #83

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Had a CQR 35 lbs for my 33' cutter and dragged all night in the Bahamas.
Once I got home to Florida, got me a 55 lbs Delta and sailed happily with it on numerous occasions in the Keys and the Bahamas.
Then after ten years with the Delta, got a 20 kg, (44 lbs) Rocna.
Would not risk my boat with a CQR, if Rocnas are too expensive, look for a 44 lbs Delta, should be all you need in the Bahamas.
Hi ! I'm using an old CQR but I'd like to upgrade to a ROCNA. What anchor weight would you recommend for a 13,000 #, 34 footer monohull ? I would also get at least 30 feet of 5/16 chain + 100 feet line... no windlass Thanks
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02   #84

I would go for the 20 kg Rocna, but the big rollbar may cause problems with stowing.
Make sure you measure carefully and have the vendor agree you can return it.
Or look for the new Rocnas, called Vulcan or some such thing, no rollbar, instead they got weight in the blade like a Delta.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:09   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Buy the Rocna today! It's the last day I'm offering show prices from the Fort Lauderdale boat show and free shipping on anchors up to 33 kg. in the 48 states.
Prices go up tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:18   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are much better solar lights, but you pay seven or eight times as much, I paid $8 each
replace the cheap battery in them and they are still bright the next morning, assuming a bright sunny day. Obviously the $1 ea ones everything has to be as cheap as possible. I don't see how money can be made on anything manufactured, packaged and shipped from half way around the world and sold for $1.
The good ones once you replace the battery, you have $12 or so in each one.
One day maybe I'll wire in some unobtrusive LED rail lights to replace the garden lights, once I get caught up re-fitting the boat for cruising, refrigeration is the next project.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:23   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi ! I'm using an old CQR but I'd like to upgrade to a ROCNA. What anchor weight would you recommend for a 13,000 #, 34 footer monohull ? I would also get at least 30 feet of 5/16 chain + 100 feet line... no windlass Thanks
I don't have a Windlass either, yet, I have about 50' of 3/8" chain and a 33 Rocna, It's all I can handle, and more, without a windlass I'd stick to the 20 Rocna.
You are getting significantly more holding power per lb., so a 20 Rocna will hold far better than a similar weight CQR. Not having a windlass is an even better reason to go with a new gen anchor
Old 07-11-2014, 06:34   #88

A64pilot:
Are you talking lbs or kgs....?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:06   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I keep hearing that some garden lights are much better than others, but so far they don't seem to have made it to the anchorages that we have been in!

I personally use and recommend a second BRIGHT LED anchor light somewhere in teh lower rigging, supplementing the masthead light.
I definitely agree with Jim's recommendation here and I also sometimes hang a second LED anchor light low in my rigging. I never expect my solar powered LED lights (garden lights) to replace the anchor lights that are powered by my battery bank.

I hesitate to refer to mine as "garden lights" as they are purpose made for marine use ("Solar Kandle" rail lights) and if I keep their batteries fresh they will last until dawn.

I like my solar powered LEDs, but only in addition of good anchor lights. 'not to be used instead of proper lights!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
A64pilot:
Are you talking lbs or kgs....?
Kg., I can lift chain and a 33 lb anchor without too much trouble, but 50" of 3/8' chain, a 33 kg anchor and a ball of mud stuck to it whips my Butt

Tags
anchor, Bahamas, cqr