Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 05:32   #31

Re: Convert Windlass to Hydraulic - Anyone done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
That's what I would work on to correct. Why can you not motor towards the anchor while the windlass raises just the chain? You should have control for the windlass at the helm or via remote.

Matt
Sure, I would like to, and that's a very good idea.... Lets try it in a blow.......

Its blowing 40kts, I have to move, I'm at the helm and push the anchor up button, can't really see where the chain is, port , starboard, straight ahead?. Its pretty windy here, I can't really hear if I'm straining the windlass, I think the chain is to port, yes it is to port, I can tell by the boat motion, turn the helm to port , I think the weight came off the chain now but I still can't hear the windlass, I think between gusts, it sounds ok...or...did it stop working??, oh, its sailed across to stbd, just for safety, I better go fwd and check, hey we picked up some old netting and its really stuck around the windlass and some down the spill pipe and the rest over the bow roller. I better let some chain out to keep the boat secure while I sort out this mess. Oh, it won't go out, its completely stuck.I better get a knife. I hope the anchor is not skipping over the bottom on this short scope.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:33   #32

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

The best option would probably be to invest in a new windlass. Windlasses are engineered for a certain load. The motor stalling protect the mechanics from failing as well as the motor.

To be able to heave in 50 knots, up from now 25 (which is good btw), you will have to apply about 4 times the torque. Hydraulics give you the advantage of being able to choose between torque and speed in a relatively easy way. You could do the same by changing gear ratio inside the windlass, but this is probably not so easy. 4 times the torque, means also 4 times less speed heaving. Maybe of no importance. But hydraulics do not give you any more power, actually a little less due to losses. So a 1500W motor will still be a 1500W motor.

You can obviously change up the motor power a little, there is some allowance there.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41   #33

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Sure, I would like to, and that's a very good idea.... Lets try it in a blow.......

Its blowing 40kts, I have to move, I'm at the helm and push the anchor up button, can't really see where the chain is, port , starboard, straight ahead?. Its pretty windy here, I can't really hear if I'm straining the windlass, I think the chain is to port, yes it is to port, I can tell by the boat motion, turn the helm to port , I think the weight came off the chain now but I still can't hear the windlass, I think between gusts, it sounds ok...or...did it stop working??, oh, its sailed across to stbd, just for safety, I better go fwd and check, hey we picked up some old netting and its really stuck around the windlass and some down the spill pipe and the rest over the bow roller. I better let some chain out to keep the boat secure while I sort out this mess. Oh, it won't go out, its completely stuck.I better get a knife. I hope the anchor is not skipping over the bottom on this short scope.
I have a GoPro I can mount at the bow if I need. Gives very good indication of chain angles. In addition, on my remote, I can see the speed and how much chain is out.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:59   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Adapting an AC motor and an inverter would probably be cheaper and more reliable. My windlass is converted to use a 240v motor that my inverter can run. Ac motors are cheaper than DC motors and run longer.

I was a commercial fisherman and hydraulics are great for transferring lots of power, but the pumps are engine driven. And the valves leak unless they're marine grade. Hydraulic power packs, especially DC don't last long. Even less in a marine environment. And then there's the hoses.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
The best option would probably be to invest in a new windlass. Windlasses are engineered for a certain load. The motor stalling protect the mechanics from failing as well as the motor.

To be able to heave in 50 knots, up from now 25 (which is good btw), you will have to apply about 4 times the torque. Hydraulics give you the advantage of being able to choose between torque and speed in a relatively easy way. You could do the same by changing gear ratio inside the windlass, but this is probably not so easy. 4 times the torque, means also 4 times less speed heaving. Maybe of no importance. But hydraulics do not give you any more power, actually a little less due to losses. So a 1500W motor will still be a 1500W motor.

You can obviously change up the motor power a little, there is some allowance there.
Thanks for the feedback,
I like the idea that the hydraulics would not burn out and would just stop when overloaded, this to me seems a better solution that using 24v if it would work.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Adapting an AC motor and an inverter would probably be cheaper and more reliable. My windlass is converted to use a 240v motor that my inverter can run. Ac motors are cheaper than DC motors and run longer.

I was a commercial fisherman and hydraulics are great for transferring lots of power, but the pumps are engine driven. And the valves leak unless they're marine grade. Hydraulic power packs, especially DC don't last long. Even less in a marine environment. And then there's the hoses.
Thanks for that, this also sounds interesting. I could maybe run an AC motor off my inverter as I have 4000Watts, however I would be a little worried about isolating the AC motor from the seawater environment.
Did you have to have a special flange made or was this part standard?
My shaft on the 24v motor is 19mm with a keyway.
I guess the electric motor overloading factor would still exist.

I am sometimes on a boat with a 280kg anchor and when these hydraulics are overloaded, then the chain just stops coming in, I though a smaller version might be possible for my boat.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
I have a GoPro I can mount at the bow if I need. Gives very good indication of chain angles. In addition, on my remote, I can see the speed and how much chain is out.
Thanks again, also a good idea, but I sometimes have to flake the chain and also I would worry abound not seeing some stuff stuck on the chain...the thought of looking into a screen remotely on a dark windy night doesn't sound good to me.

Tags
wind, windlass