Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 17:34   #31

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Choosing the most fail - safe anchor chain

Could they have offended the powers.

Shame, as their knowledge and thoughtful debate even if prickly at times was always thought provoking.

Then again they might actually be sailing unlike many of us.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 17:42   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Choosing the most fail - safe anchor chain

Based on my readings ( and not my doings ) I would say maggi G70 certified chain, but keep the same size as you existing proof coil chain, breaking loads are now so far above what you'll experience.

The brittleness issue is really more of an issue when you are using G70 to go down a size. ( or more). And there are many blogs and posts and expert opinion that say the brittleness issue is simply not a factor.

For most people money is a factor hence G40 , or more commonly din 766 or proof coil ( BBB) which is G30 is all they have

The use of 30 to 40 feet of snubber is vitality important. All chain companies will tell you that snatch loads are bad for chain and there proof testing is under slowly increasing loads.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21-05-2014, 18:37   #33

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Choosing the most fail - safe anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Shame, as their knowledge and thoughtful debate even if prickly at times was always thought provoking.

Then again they might actually be sailing unlike many of us.

Cheers
Ha ha! Let's hope they're sailing.

I don't speak for anyone but myself but JonJo's endless questions took on a trollish nature, IMHO. Even after Mr. Troup posted the fishing analogy as a grand finale, JonJo soldiered on, apparently oblivious to the obvious. I was very happy that whole thread ended as it took several days for my eyes to get unglazed.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 01:31   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Ha ha! Let's hope they're sailing.

I don't speak for anyone but myself but JonJo's endless questions took on a trollish nature, IMHO. Even after Mr. Troup posted the fishing analogy as a grand finale, JonJo soldiered on, apparently oblivious to the obvious. I was very happy that whole thread ended as it took several days for my eyes to get unglazed.
Still it ended by disappearance of contributors rather, than by reaching final conclusions
May be because the original question was not the right one???
And - glazed eyes aside - digging deep to reach conclusion, even being provocative in the meantime, is definitely not trolling for me.
However I do understand that it may look like, when the digger reach the level where his knowledge or understanding is lacking a bit (perhaps)
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 02:01   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Cheers

With all due respect, downunder, Your assumption does not make much sense to me...

First of all, I can not single out one Andrew Troup's post being offensive to anybody on the board.

Secondly, JonJo, even being grumpy and prickly at times is one of really important contributors here. Please note, that only the threads started and animated by him during last year made for more than 80.000 views.
Taking the offense from huge traffic creator would be like killing the geese lying the golden eggs, so also does not make any sense.

By the way, some time ago one of my friends described to me a guy, who completely missed the obvious and brillant bussiness opportunity:

"You know, Tomasz, he just caught the golden fish. And do You believe?
He fried her!!!"
Old 22-05-2014, 03:10   #36

"However I do understand that it may look like, when the digger reach the level where his knowledge or understanding is lacking a bit (perhaps)" ...

I take this as a snarky bit meant for me but I am unoffended. I don't know spit about chain metallurgy or elasticity and it doesn't bother me in the slightest to say so.

In fact, in my experience, chain ain't all that elastic. I've been sailing small boats for 60 years with 10 or 20' of mongrel crap chain on nylon rodes. I very rarely trust just one hook. So far so good. I'd rather be sailing than sitting home worrying.

Here are the conclusions a very experienced poster and delivery skipper has drawn, DW. I suppose sciolists could find a hundred more ways to say the same things, but at some point you go with what you think best, otherwise you'll never leave the dock, Cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Based on my readings ( and not my doings ) I would say Maggi G70 certified chain, but keep the same size as your existing proof coil chain; breaking loads are now far above what you'll experience.

The brittleness issue is really more of an issue when you are using G70 to go down a size. ( or more). And there are many blogs and posts and expert opinion that say the brittleness issue is simply not a factor.

For most people money is a factor hence G40 , or more commonly din 766 or proof coil ( BBB) which is G30, is all they have.

The use of 30 to 40 feet of snubber is vitally important. All chain companies will tell you that snatch loads are bad for chain and their proof testing is under slowly increasing loads. Dave
Old 22-05-2014, 03:36   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"However I do understand that it may look like, when the digger reach the level where his knowledge or understanding is lacking a bit (perhaps)" ...

I take this as a snarky bit meant for me but I am unoffended. I don't know spit about chain metallurgy or elasticity and it doesn't bother me in the slightest to say so.
No offence meant, sorry if it looked like this to You. Really my (may be a little snarky - but it was also not my intention) comment was about JonJo posts in last part of his discussion with Andrew Troup in BiB2 thread.

Quote:
I suppose sciolists could find a hundred more ways to say the same things, but at some point you go with what you think best, otherwise you'll never leave the dock, Cap.
Completely agree with You. Just want to make good, well informed decision, when time for replacement of the chain will come. And I feel it can be rather sooner, than later

Cheers,

Tomasz
Old 22-05-2014, 03:49   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I like snarky..........

jes sayin'

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 04:19   #39
Nearly an old salt

IN my experience, I've never seen well maintained chain fail, Ive seen joiners fail. swivels fail, Ive seen the windlass being partly pulled from the deck, but not chain

I think one of the advantages of over sized chain, but lower strength , like BBB or Proof or general G30 chain, is there is more physical material , hence a bit of safety factor as the chain ages and rusts and all the other stuff that happens to chain.

Hence the ultimate search for the ultimate chain, is like all searches for "ultimate boats ", pointless

dave
Old 22-05-2014, 04:21   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
IN my experience, I've never seen well maintained chain fail, Ive seen joiners fail. swivels fail, Ive seen the windlass being partly pulled from the deck, but not chain

I think one of the advantages of over sized chain, but lower strength , like BBB or Proof or general G30 chain, is there is more physical material , hence a bit of safety factor as the chain ages and rusts and all the other stuff that happens to chain.

Hence the ultimate search for the ultimate chain, is like all searches for "ultimate boats ", pointless

dave
Well thats the problem solved then.....
Persisting with rain here, flying canceled for the afternoon....... I believe I will have a glass of wine and some tapas.
Old 22-05-2014, 04:27   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Persisting with rain here, flying canceled for the afternoon....... I believe I will have a glass of wine and some tapas.
bah , stuck behind a computer writing business plan........ I HATE BUSINESS PLANS

dave
Old 22-05-2014, 04:33   #42

As a want2be I found this info very useful.

Chain (Rocna Knowledge Base)

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 04:55   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
bah , stuck behind a computer writing business plan........ I HATE BUSINESS PLANS
dave
I try and make one day a week just for me....... this didnt work out today so will take another one later.

A corporate decision has to be made.... I believe I will have another plate of jamon and another glass of red.

Old 22-05-2014, 07:12   #44

You are what you eat. Little wonder you feel snarky. Compare yer disgusting fatty foto with this pretty pile of perfection. When you eat well you have the energy to pull up a fail-safe anchor chain.
Old 22-05-2014, 07:16   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are what you eat. Little wonder you feel snarky. Compare yer disgusting fatty foto with this pretty pile of perfection. When you eat well you have the energy to pull up a fail-safe anchor chain.
Pull up an anchor chain? energy? My dear boy....... I have a button that does that......

Tags
anchor