Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 18:29   #1

Boat: 1979 Cal25 MKII
Changing the anchor light

I am trying to change out my mast top anchor light with an LED bulb. Although I have just got a mast ladder, I haven't been able to get up there to get the old bulb out. I'd like to get an LED bulb that has a dusk to dark sensor, but can't find the base type of the light fixture. I have to order the bulb and am trying to make as few trips up the mast as possible. I tie out on a mooring bouy and have run down my batteries trying to use alternative light sources. My poor little solar charger isn't able to keep up when I run a bulb 24/7.
walkintheplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 19:25   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Changing the anchor light

Pics of what you have would help, as would dimensions of the bulb, or rather it's connective fitting(s). Plus any markings on it. Ditto on the light itself.
Albeit a KISS method is to take the bulb (and perhaps the light) into a couple of chandleries until you find one which has the correct sized part.

A couple of other thoughts. You can always rig up an anchor light to run up the flag halyard on a spreader (or a regular halyard, with a downhaul for that matter). And if you go this route, you can build a photo sensitive unit from; parts from Radio Shack for a few $, some spare wire, alligator clips, silicone, & a baby food jar.
- They used to actually sell exactly such lights @ Downwind Marine in San Diego, a couple of decades back.

Keeping the bulb (or bulb unit) separate from the other electrics in the light does have some merits regarding trouble diagnostics, as well as parts interchangeability - you can use the same bulb as you use for your below decks electrics.

And of course there's naught which says that you can't pick up a pre-made, photo sensitive anchor light, & keep your other as a spare, unless $ is REAL tight. Also, unless someone's changed COLREGS, you can hang a brass, kerosene anchor lamp, in lieu of an electric. And FYI, they'll run on things other than kerosene too.

Hope that helps.

PS: If you can find a part # (or even the Maker's name/model), you'll have your bulb in about 12 taps on the keyboard. - Oh, & welcome to CF, BTW.

- One other tip. If you're spending much time onboard, rig your panel with a long set of wires to it, so that when you're onboard, you can move it around during the day, to unshaded spots, as the sun & boat change position. When you've only got one panel it makes a BIG difference.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 20:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Davis Instruments makes an LED plug in light that turns off at daylight and on at night. Have two of them that I use for anchor lights. Very low current drain. Mega-Lightâ„¢ Utility by Davis
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 22:23   #4

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I purchased an LED anchor light off eBay and attached onto the end of about 400mm by 25mm pic pipe. Then I put a piece of metal, can't remember what it was but reasonably heavy in the tube, then sealed the other end so its water proof. A swivel 3/4 of the way up makes sure it always hangs right way up and also means that it sits above the pully. With a length of tinned wire and a cigarette plug attached I now have myself a portable anchor light I can pull to the top of the mast.

This meant I was able to go up once and I removed the anchor light and brought it down with the intent of getting an LED. But in the mean time my portable anchor light sufficed.

Now days I just keep it for emergencies in a cupboard and all my lights except the steaming light have been replaced with LED.

I have steps too and I hated climbing them. I prefer to be whinched up.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 22:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I really wouldn't recommend just changing out the bulb. Led fixtures can be completely sealed and the bulbs are permanently attached instead of put in fittings. This makes them much more durable.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 22:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I really wouldn't recommend just changing out the bulb. Led fixtures can be completely sealed and the bulbs are permanently attached instead of put in fittings. This makes them much more durable.
Bulbs have been used for decades without the weather getting in. What's the difference with replacing a bulb with replacing a bulb with an appropriate LED? As long as it's closed properly it should last longer than a 12v bulb.
Old 08-03-2015, 00:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Bulbs have been used for decades without the weather getting in. What's the difference with replacing a bulb with replacing a bulb with an appropriate LED? As long as it's closed properly it should last longer than a 12v bulb.
The most common problem I have had with light fixtures is water getting into fixture and corroding out the contacts, or facton bulbs that corrode and accelerate bulb failure. Why spend $30 to replace the bulb when a completely potted and waterproof fixture can be had for a few dollars more?

And most likely a LED bulb will last longer, but a full sealed LED fixture will last even longer.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The most common problem I have had with light fixtures is water getting into fixture and corroding out the contacts, or facton bulbs that corrode and accelerate bulb failure. Why spend $30 to replace the bulb when a completely potted and waterproof fixture can be had for a few dollars more?

And most likely a LED bulb will last longer, but a full sealed LED fixture will last even longer.
yes, that's a good point. I guess it's a case of having time, and inclination to do a complete swap over. When I initially did mine it was simply easier to replace the bulb than to replace the whole unit. But last year I'd removed the mast so I replaced mine with a proper LED unit.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:13   #9

Except for anchoring in the middle of a shipping lane, why do people need to put the anchor light at the top of the mast? Some years back when I was visiting my liveaboard friend for the first time I noticed that his anchor light was on top of his hardtop bimini. He said that he got tired when returning late after dark looking way up searching for his light among the dozens of boats in the anchor field. With it on the hardtop he instantly sees where his boat is.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Except for anchoring in the middle of a shipping lane, why do people need to put the anchor light at the top of the mast? Some years back when I was visiting my liveaboard friend for the first time I noticed that his anchor light was on top of his hardtop bimini. He said that he got tired when returning late after dark looking way up searching for his light among the dozens of boats in the anchor field. With it on the hardtop he instantly sees where his boat is.
I've got two. One in the mast and I out one on the pushpit.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If your boat is on a mooring, you are not required to have an anchor light at all. Save the trouble! Or put it lower down. There's absolutely NO reason at all ever to have wires and lights at the top of a small boat's mast.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If your boat is on a mooring, you are not required to have an anchor light at all. Save the trouble! Or put it lower down. There's absolutely NO reason at all ever to have wires and lights at the top of a small boat's mast.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Well spotted. And quite right.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:52   #13

Boat: 1979 Cal25 MKII

Apparently the FWC officer thought I needed an anchor light when he wrote me up for not having proper navigational lighting. I'm kinda stuck right now with one hand out of service from surgery. Makes it a little challenging to climb the ladder. Thats why I was looking for someone that might know the bulb base style so I could limit the trips to the top. For now I'm trying to squeak by using a yard light on the main halyard. Just not very bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
walkintheplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:53   #14

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

I found two copies of the Owner's Manual for a 1979 Cal 25 on the Net (at http://s2.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/pdf/1096.pdf and at http://www.ewmanchester.com/CalDocs/...or%20Punta.pdf). Those two copies seem identical. Both about 1.7 MB.

Neither copy of the Owner's Manual details the anchor light bulb or the base fitting.

Eric Manchester has other info you might find useful, none of it about the anchor light, at: http://www.ewmanchester.com/CalSailboats.html

Al
Old 08-03-2015, 07:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I have a light just like the Davis Light commented on above, that I hang from a line I run from my fore stay to my mast at night. I have the same theory, that a light that is 62 feet above the water (on my boat) does very little good with boaters who are looking at the water level for other boats at night.

Tags
anchor