Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 11:27   #1

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic
Chain Stopper Installation Questions

I am installing a chain stopper made by Anchorlift - a nice skookum looking piece of gear. I need to raise it about 3/4" off deck to have chain flow smoothly and not pull up on stopper when chain tight. As per pictures I plan to put a block of wood under stopper. Will bolt through wood, through stopper, deck and backing plate.

Should I also drill a set of four separate holes through wood and bolt it down to deck and backer plate, or is this overkill?

I am using oak as that is the most suitable wood I have handy - is there a better material to use that is fairly easy to obtain (small town Vancouver Island but Home Depot not too far away)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	122983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	122984  

Name:	Pic 3.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	122985  
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:40   #2
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Chain Stopper Installation Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytownboy View Post
I am using oak as that is the most suitable wood I have handy - is there a better material to use that is fairly easy to obtain (small town Vancouver Island but Home Depot not too far away)?
How about replacing that wood with a block of G10 / FR-4 laminate? Good for a backing plate too.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:42   #3

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

As you're only using the wood as a shim, no need to attach it separately. Because you are through-bolting the fitting, the load is imparted to the backing plate.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:14   #4

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Thanks mrm and Red Sky. I will proceed with the painted oak as pictured unless I can find a small piece of G10.

Doug
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:16   #5

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Lewmar and Maxwell both make a stopper which is elevated off the deck. Expensive though.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1461374198.238099.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	123013

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 19:56   #6

A piece of Starboard would work also and be moisture/rot proof with no maintenance needed.
Old 22-04-2016, 20:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
A piece of Starboard would work also and be moisture/rot proof with no maintenance needed.
Starboard is not suitable for any load bearing application. G10 however is ideal, far better than wood since it won't rot.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 20:59   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Starboard is not suitable for any load bearing application. G10 however is ideal, far better than wood since it won't rot.
The thing I like about GRP for this application is that I can bond it to the deck. The load is only partially, in tension; it is also in sheer, and a bonded shim will be MUCH better at resisting shear without shifting, particularly if the deck is cored. With the wood there will be little support for the thickness of the shim + core.

A GRP pad would also reduce the backing plate thickness requirement.

I would bond GRP and then drill through AFTER it cured. Perfect fit. Doesn't need to be G10; any structural grade will do fine in sheer. Of course, this is harder to do neatly.

In truth, this only matters if you do not use a snubber, or use a very short one. My chain stopper is only used to secure the anchor on-deck and as a snubber back-up.
Old 22-04-2016, 22:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In truth, this only matters if you do not use a snubber, or use a very short one. My chain stopper is only used to secure the anchor on-deck and as a snubber back-up.

Exactly why I recommended Starboard.
Old 23-04-2016, 01:27   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You can lay up a custom thickness of GRP on any work bench. And if you want to approach G10's properties, do it under vacuum, & then post cure things (with the right resin).
Or epoxy bond together a bunch of scraps of 3mm marine ply. They're thin enough that the resin should fully penetrate/permeate each layer, even without a vacuum being applied.

Albeit the one nice thing about G10, is that you can tap it for fasteners. So that in addition to bonding it to the boat, to spread the load that way. It becomes an integral part of your stopper setup, when used as "nuts", on the backing plate side.
Though a metal backer, or washers, & stainless nuts would still be advised in this application. Given the loads that it'll see on occasion, when transitioning to or from a snubber.

That said, if it's not readily available, aluminum would likely work out better than oak. Too, you might also look for a piece of marine lumber. Something which is naturally oily, & rot resistant.
You'll find some scraps of that, anywhere there are boats, even if it takes 5min. of dumpster diving, or asking your neighbors.
That, or even a piece of MDO, which is pretty much impervious to water, as compared to a lot of regular hardwoods. Oak included.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 01:44   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
How well will the Starboard hold up from the time when the chain stopper is applied, until the snubber is hooked up? Or when the snubber breaks, or reaches it's limit, etc.?
Is it up for those kinds of loadings? I don't have it's spec's handy.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 08:20   #12

Boat: Casacde 36

Just use the four bolt holes that are there, but use bolts long enough to go through the stopper, deck and block and the backing plate underneath.
Don't forget to add a little medium strength Loctite, or nyloc nuts.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:17   #13

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Just use the four bolt holes that are there, but use bolts long enough to go through the stopper, deck and block and the backing plate underneath.
Don't forget to add a little medium strength Loctite, or nyloc nuts.
Always use nyloc nuts &/or locktite on SS bolts if possible. SS doesn't stretch like steel & regular nuts can vibrate loose.
That oak will probably last you out,but if you know of a salmon cage mfgr. outfit near you,get a square of HDPE from them. Lasts forever & also great for backing plates also.

Cheers/ Len
Old 23-04-2016, 10:34   #14

For HDPE,.High Density Polyethylene, go to Walmart or any department store and buy a Cutting Board in the Kitchen Department. They come in various thicknesses. The material is tough, sandable and impervious to moisture. Plus cheap. We just made some tapered shims with the material by s anding it with a belt sander. It does not load up the sanding belt. A disadvantage is that it cannot be bonded to GRP.
suenodelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 10:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't think Starboard is any softer than many woods that have been traditionally used. I would prefer G10 though.
OP: if you epoxy that Oak it might be fine for a long time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation