Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Chain on a Drum

I have a typical windlass setup with chain/rope gypsy on one side and rope drum on the other. It's a SL Tigress 555 manual.
I don't want to make wholesale changes to the setup, here's my idea...

I have a Manson 45lb on the gypsy with 200' of chain & 200' of line behind that. That is my primary. The secondary is a 45lb CQR with 75' of chain and 200' of line. I doubt I'll use the CQR very often, perhaps a few days a year.

Could I put some sort of rubber wrap over the drum to protect it from the chain?

I've not seen a gypsy on the secondary side of a Tigress 555. Might there be one I could use to replace the drum?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10   #2

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Mast boot tape? I don't know...

TAPE MAST BOOT 4" X 10' WHITE RUBBAWELD 166580

might be worth a try.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:17   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
For the few times you're going to put the chain on the drum it won't hurt it. Just watch your fingers.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:58   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I use the drum on my windlass the same way for the secondary anchor. It gets a bit scratched up, but that probably makes it work better for rope.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
You can wrap the drum with some Neoprene wetsuit material laid over double stick tape. Your problem, however, will be keeping tension on the chain with one hand and cranking the windlass with the other. You'll find this a slow, difficult and painful process as I did.

I found a better alternative is to install and pass the chain through a chain stopper and then use a chain hook attached to a length of line that will reach an unused mast or deck winch. Attach the hook just aft of the chain stopper and you can use both hands to crank the winch--or use a Winch Buddy, which is easier. When you've hauled up as much chain as you can/wish to, the chain stopper holds everything in place while you reposition the chain hook.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 14:04   #6
Marine Service Provider

HMMM, interesting suggestions. I'll take a closer look at the feed off the drum into the locker. I think that's where I'll have a problem. but for the few times I'll be doing this, I can recruit the admiral to tail the chain into the locker while I pump the winch (the anchor winch)
Old 01-10-2008, 16:23   #7

That self bonding electrical tape (the one that sticks to itself without adhesive) is very durable once stretched and adhered..maybe that?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 18:44   #8
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi, Gettinthere

I believe your primary setup is 100% OK

Now the question of your secondary? The best location for your CQR will be either:
- In the bilge, where it could be used as a lest
- In your backyard.

This will easily solve the question of the protection of the drum...

(I fully understand that you will not agree with my suggestion... Then keep it secures somewhere... we will again talk about it in one year or two... when you will have changed your mind... )
Old 02-10-2008, 15:47   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post
Hi, Gettinthere

I believe your primary setup is 100% OK

Now the question of your secondary? The best location for your CQR will be either:
- In the bilge, where it could be used as a lest
- In your backyard.

This will easily solve the question of the protection of the drum...

(I fully understand that you will not agree with my suggestion... Then keep it secures somewhere... we will again talk about it in one year or two... when you will have changed your mind... )
Not sure I understand your comment. Are you knocking the CQR or my storage/usage of it?
If CQR itself, it works quite well, just takes too long to dig in for my taste
Old 02-10-2008, 18:52   #10

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
gettinthere,

Is there a reason you couldn't put the bower to a slip and shift your secondary to the gypsy, while you're working it?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 20:19   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
For the few times you're going to put the chain on the drum it won't hurt it. Just watch your fingers.
I'm with Vasco on this one. Windlass and fingers is a very dangerous mix. I nailed the tip of a finger and it took months to heal. A whole knuckle and it's gone quick as you please. It's more about the dumb stuff than about the few times you need this dual setup. It's not something you will use often and not without a great deal of forethought.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 22:31   #12
Marine Service Provider

I'm in with Vasco and PBlais. Just go hard, all will be fine.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25   #13

Boat: Lavranos 39 S/v Continental Drift
Think about the few days a year that you will use this CQR. I to have one as a backup(short chain and mostly rope). The only time I would use it is if I'm already dragging(not the best time to use CQR's) or expect a blow and want more tackle out. Think about having both ancors out and still dragging or something big dragging toward you. Can you safely get both ancors back up. My admiral won't like tailling in these condition. Just food for thought.
bmartinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
gettinthere,

Is there a reason you couldn't put the bower to a slip and shift your secondary to the gypsy, while you're working it?
"put your bower to a slip" not sure what you mean.

I have 2 rollers on my pulpit and they are enclosed so chain would have to go out the secondary hole and up through the primary hole past the primary chain to get to the gypsy. Going straight from the secondary to the gypsy would go around the furler (big time chafing) and it would not align on the gypsy.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:37   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
"put your bower to a slip" not sure what you mean.
Sorry about the navalese - "bower" is your primary anchor; I guess the yachtie equivalent of a "slip" is a "chain stopper". The navy version is a length of anchor chain bolted to a hardpoint in the deck at one end and with a senhouse slip at the other - this clips to the anchor chain and takes the strain off the windlass. I found this Chain Stoppers which would do the job as well; there are cheaper and simpler versions available.

Quote:
I have 2 rollers on my pulpit and they are enclosed so chain would have to go out the secondary hole and up through the primary hole past the primary chain to get to the gypsy. Going straight from the secondary to the gypsy would go around the furler (big time chafing) and it would not align on the gypsy.
I didn't know what your anchor handling equipment layout was, so I asked the question - if it doesn't work for you then you'll have to look for other options. I don't know how you would use a drum to haul chain as one would usually take turns with a rope around a drum - I can't imagine that would work well with chain, but am prepared to be corrected. Or the chainstopper could be mounted on your deck to guide your secondary cable around the furler.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote