Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2014, 08:06   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Chain Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

2. Laser rangefinder. This is great to judge the ideal drop point when Med-mooring. I quick distance measurement will provide reassurance that you not going to run out of chain (or have too little out). You can reverse onto the quay with confidence.
What laser rangefinder do You use?

Cheers

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 08:30   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Mine is quite an expensive one
Leica 1600B.

There are models from Busnell etc that are half the cost and still quite adequate. There are also "no name" models that are half the cost again.

The Leica gives you much better optics and a longer range, but as always with these things the law of diminishing returns sets in.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 08:43   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would just install the Lewmar system and forget about it, but I would have to drill through a watertight bulkhead, install an appropriate cable gland, then run a bloody cable all the way from the bow to the helm, pulling yet another cable through my overcrowded helm cable duct, bleh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
By the way, the Maxwell rode counter (I think the Lewmar is a stencil brand of the same unit), costs $400! So installation may not be the only consideration here.

Point taken. I had the installation done, i.e., didn't do it myself... so no sweat. And that was at the same time the windlass itself was being installed.

I didn't remember it costing that much, so I just checked. The AA150 Rode Counter was $275 in mid-2010.

-Chris
Old 16-07-2014, 09:38   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I use a Quick chain counter (Chain Counter for Panel) in conjunction with my Lewmar windlass. Most modern windlasses have a recess in the gypsy to install a small magnet which activates a simple magnetic switch with every rotation. I have other projects to attend to so reinventing the wheel was not for me. The Quick allows for remote control up/down as well as keeping track of the chain. In addition, I have a remote handpiece that allows me to perform the same functions at the bow, keeping well away from the chain and gypsy in nasty conditions. Further, I have installed several more up/down rocker switches in the chain locker and elsewhere to allow me to pull and flake chain singlehanded when that's handy. And I'm going to be including a remote switch in a position to assist me when using the windlass to retrieve the dinghy. For all the functionality, it was simpler to pay someone else to do the engineering and fabrication of a quality part.
That Quick device has two drawbacks: (a) it costs $550 (ouch); and (b) it is wired.

I really need something simpler and cheaper and which does not require being wired all the way to the bow. My cable duct to my helm is overfull already and I simply can't get another wire in there.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 14:05   #20

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I'm not at the boat right now but I will pick up one of these to count revs of the chain gypsy. Very Easy Cadence Meter For Your Bike <$12 Something like $10 at WallyWorld. I will put the magnet on my chain gypsy and Velcro the computer close by. I will measure the amount of chain that goes out for each revolution. Rough guess is that it will be more than 1 foot and less than 1.5 feet per. If it is within 10% or so of something my brain can wrap it's self around like 1 or 1.5 or 2 or maybe something like 5= a yard it may be useful.

Disadvantage for op is that it is wired. Most of the wireless bike stuff has very short range. (Like some have trouble if you put the magnet for speed on the back wheel instead of the front wheel.)

I'm in the painting mode so update may be awhile coming...
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:46   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I really like electronics, but...

With a constant speed winch, what's wrong with just counting seconds and having a laminated card taped up at the helm with a table of seconds to feet?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:56   #22

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
... With a constant speed winch, what's wrong with just counting seconds and having a laminated card taped up at the helm with a table of seconds to feet?
What constant speed?

The RPM of any DC motor is inversely proportional to load.

Also, how is the static deployed length verified after the fact?
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:59   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

DIY Anchor Chain Counter Project is what you need, don't think it ever really appeared though

dave
Old 18-07-2014, 19:15   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
What constant speed?

The RPM of any DC motor is inversely proportional to load.

Also, how is the static deployed length verified after the fact?
1. Did you read the OP?

"But why do we need all this complication? When you're veering chain, the windlass is working at a constant speed, and just counting the amount of time the windlass is on will give you a pretty accurate figure. And you don't need high accuracy for this at all. Even lifting the anchor you will get decent results -- because you really don't care if it's +/- 10% or even 20%, and you're not going to be doing it from the helm anyway if the windlass is bogging down.

So why not a simple time-counter wired to the helm switch, which can be calibrated to turn seconds into meters?"

2. You can verify after the fact by looking at your chain markings, assuming you use them as sufficiently short intervals.
Old 18-07-2014, 19:18   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
1. Did you read the OP?

"But why do we need all this complication? When you're veering chain, the windlass is working at a constant speed, and just counting the amount of time the windlass is on will give you a pretty accurate figure. And you don't need high accuracy for this at all. Even lifting the anchor you will get decent results -- because you really don't care if it's +/- 10% or even 20%, and you're not going to be doing it from the helm anyway if the windlass is bogging down.

So why not a simple time-counter wired to the helm switch, which can be calibrated to turn seconds into meters?"

2. You can verify after the fact by looking at your chain markings, assuming you use them as sufficiently short intervals.

Sure, just mutter " one elephant ... Two elephant " under your breath. Conversion to metres could be done by mental maths.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-07-2014, 20:05   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sure, just mutter " one elephant ... Two elephant " under your breath. Conversion to metres could be done by mental maths.
That''s why I suggested a laminated card for the arithmetically challenged
Old 18-07-2014, 20:35   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

(like goboating said)

Say your windlass lowers at 6 feet per second. One thousand one, one thousand two.... 90 feet will take 15 seconds.

This requires a thread?