Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 10:08   #1

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Chain cost Comparison – Cromox vs G4x galvanized

Note - this is not about any stainless chain, its about Cromox 318LN stainless made by Ketten Walder which is NOT the same as 316. Also, the application is for warm tropical waters.

It would be interesting to check the cost/benefit of paying 2.5 to 3 times the cost of an equivalent galvanized chain which lasts about 2-3 years on average and then needs to be re-galvanized or repurchased.

By what I have read (no firsthand experience), re-galvanizing is becoming more and more difficult due to environmental concerns, and if you are “out there” outside of major industrial areas, it becomes impossible.

Metal properties notwithstanding, there are 2 major advantages to the Cromox chain: cleaner chain locker and no piling up. Other than the cost, I have not heard of any disadvantages of these chains and feedback on this is welcome.

Doing the math:
Costs over 10 years, full-time cruising on tropical waters - for comparison purposes 8mm, 5/16 chain – which option would be more economical - Cromox SS chain or G4x galvanized?

BTW if you are uncertain about the Cromox SS chain, please refer to this:
https://usstainless.com/chain/stainl...ain-8mm-by-10/

Very clear and useful information on chains in general:
Chain – Cox Engineering
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 18:52   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Chain cost Comparison – Cromox vs G4x galvanized

I am unsure of the cost analysis. It appears I was lucky, in that the stainless chain on the boat I just bought is not 316 like I thought, but is actually Cromox 318LN. So I'm very pleased, but not able to talk about the up front cost. The question, though, comes down to what the usable life of the Cromox chain is and how that compares to a high quality galvanized chain.

I will say, there is another big advantage of this chain. From what I've been able to figure, it has a much higher strength than G40 galvanized chain. It is almost as strong as G70.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 18:57   #3

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

A second thought, considering the boat you have, is how nice it is for the chain to not pile up and jam the windlass. My family's boat, that I grew up sailing, is an Allied Seabreeze, which almost identical to the Luders 33. With no access to the chain locker from the deck, if the chain jams, then you'd have to go down through the v-berth to clear it away, which would get old really fast.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:28   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I am unsure of the cost analysis. It appears I was lucky, in that the stainless chain on the boat I just bought is not 316 like I thought, but is actually Cromox 318LN. So I'm very pleased, but not able to talk about the up front cost. The question, though, comes down to what the usable life of the Cromox chain is and how that compares to a high quality galvanized chain.

I will say, there is another big advantage of this chain. From what I've been able to figure, it has a much higher strength than G40 galvanized chain. It is almost as strong as G70.
Yes agreed. The chain certainly has its advantages, but the longevity is the missing data point. It is more popular in Europe, but information on its use in warm tropical waters is hard to find, and this is what I am trying to get.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote