100% chain + bridle 7 10.00%
75% chain + 25% line 5 7.14%
50% chain + 50% line 10 14.29%
25% chain + 75% line 9 12.86%
100% line + chain lead 4 5.71%
Line all the way baby 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 14:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Chain and Line usage

So - I wanted to get a cruiser's spread on use of chain vs line for primary anchor rode. Two books I've just read on the subject disagree with each other on the "best" setup, though they both agree on needing some elasticity.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 14:17   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
All chain and a long, long snubber. I went 12 years with 50'chain and 200' nylon. Got all chain in 2004. Can't beat it.
Old 06-09-2008, 15:16   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
The poll is kind of misleading. I have 200' of 3/8" chain on my primary anchor with 250' of Brait attached as a snubber. My secondary anchor is another 200' 5/16" chain and 200' of Brait. It could be suggested that my rhode is 50/50, but in reality, the line is never used. It is merely a cushion for the chain to sit on.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 15:43   #4

By usage I mean what you "normally" use, not what you have...

Jentine - given the huge variation in posibilities based on conditions and anchoring purpose I wasn't quite sure how to word the question - sorry if it seems misleading and I'll try and clarify what I was after now:

I'm most interested in what you find yourself using most often, so from your description it sounds like you're 100% chain without a snubber. We're not talking about the one time you anchored in 100ft of kelp, sat out that storm back in '74 etc but you're most common day to day experience. Given the subject matter the results are of course open to interpretation (no indication of whether the person responding anchors on rock or sand, drops lunch hooks, overnights or leaves their boat unattended for days at a time) but I'm not really after science here, or theoretical armchair anchor drops, just a simple idea of the variation found amongst people who frequent a cruising website.
Old 06-09-2008, 16:29   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My vote was for 50:50 chain & nylon rode. I have 150' of chain and 175' of nylon rode. I've never used more than 150' of chain so far. When choosing a place to anchor, I try to find a spot with 25 feet or less, 30' max. Not too hard to do in the eastern Caribbean.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54   #6

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
In my area I anchor in sand 99% of the time so I use a danforth with nylon and 40' of chain. Never budged an inch and don't lose sleep over chafe. But when I move to the cat and start cruising I will likely use 100% chain and a bridle.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33   #7

Boat: Hunter 41 - "Son of a Sailor"
Never use more than

Hud.... Nice play on words... "I've never used more than 150' of chain so far." How could you, with only 150' of chain.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:05   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have 200 ft chain with 200' 5/8 nylon spliced to the end. In all my anchoring so far with this combination I have yet to use more than 120' of chain and a good snubber. My cruising area is US east coast south of Charleston and Bahamas. I seldom anchor in over 15 ft of water, usually in under 10'. I guess I could have done with just 100' of chain but got 200 because I will end for end it after another year or two (4 years so far). I guess I'm lucky anchoring only in shallow water. The 200 ' of nylon might seem like overkill but it provides a good bed for the chain and every so often I cut 30' off the end for a new snubber. I started with 250' of nylon. In the Bahamas, if it's more than an overnight anchorage I always put out 100' of chain as you never know when you might need it and it's better to establish your territory right away.
Old 28-09-2008, 18:01   #9

Boat: MJM 50 Z
I was surprised to find that my boat has 350' of chain. The builder used the weight to fine tune the balance. I think 150' was the max ever used.
The snubber is a Hazelette marine. Have never seen another one in use. A superb piece of equipment. The line does not wind around it. It just stretches straight. Less heat build up. The polyurethane material should last 20 years.This is the same technology used in elastic mooring systems designed to handle extreme weather.
When I put the hook down I expect the worst and never have to go out on deck in a storm.

Be safe
Carl
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 23:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Being a supplier to many cruising boats I'd say that 95 out of every 100 use all or mostly all chain.

Set-ups like Huds is common, very common as is all chain. Mind you both are pretty much the same thing (great call there Opsailor by the way )

Using all rope or mostly rope is very very uncommon.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Set-ups like Huds is common, very common as is all chain. Mind you both are pretty much the same thing (great call there Opsailor by the way )
I have a similiar setup as Hud, 60 meters of chain and 50 meters of line. But I voted and consider that to pretty much be 'all chain'. The line I just consider a long snubber for serious, or seriously deep, circumstances.
Old 13-11-2008, 00:07   #12

Thanks for all the poll entries and responses. I think the results so far seem to be about where I expected. Right now I'm sailing around with 200' chain but it seems reasonable to replace half with rode. I'll still be mainly anchoring with chain and have less weight right up front.
Old 13-11-2008, 07:40   #13
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tuning an anchor rode

I will suggest you to have a look at this very interesting web page from Alain Fraysse:

Tuning an Anchor Rode

Good reading
Old 13-11-2008, 16:33   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
The 'Tuning an Anchor Rode' is pretty good analysis, but I think it neglects damping effects from the chain moving through the water when it lloads up and straightens out. It does show a dramatic reduction in the peak force when using a long snubber, and its the peak which pops your anchor loose.

The other consideration is chafing--if you cut your chain down to 100 ft, you will be limited to about 25 foot anchorages in areas of rock or coral.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 17:09   #15
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The other consideration is chafing--if you cut your chain down to 100 ft, you will be limited to about 25 foot anchorages in areas of rock or coral.

If anchoring in rock or coral (not recommended!), with less than 100 ft of chain, you have the possibility to attach your biggest fender at the chain to rope junction...

Then the rope have no more risk to be cut by sharp rocks or coral and your mooring line will work on the « normal » way :
- With low wind, your scope will be reduced – but then you don’t need a long scope
- As soon as the wind will build up, the rode will become more and more straight, forcing the fender to dig and your scope will increase (or at least the angle of pull will decrease) – your fender acting as a snubber.

João Nodari