Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 18:57   #1

Chain

I thought I have 5/16" BBB galvanized chain. In fact when I ordered a replacement for my Maxwell windlass I measured 10 links and the seller confirmed it to be 5/16" BBB.

I decided to add 2 feet of stainless chain. I found a supplier who I spoke with on the fun (referred to me by Suncor who makes the chain). He supplied me with what was supposed to be 5/16" BBB stainless chain.

I used a supposed 5/16" galvanized split link to connect the two" the galvanized and the stainless. What I discovered is that all these items have different cross sections.

None of them are 5/16" diameter. The galvanized chain measured .35", the stainless measure .30" and the split link was just over .25 ( I wonder if they gave me a 1/4" split link.

The length of the links were shorter as well for the stainless. Both chain were stamped 3B on the links.

What gives?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Galvanized chain will measure a little more on account of the galvanizing, which is typically about 0.1 mm thick, but that doesn't really explain such a difference.

Is any of this chain calibrated? Proof cert'ed?

I have to say I don't really like any of what I see here, BBB chain is weak and needs to be unnecessarily heavy, why mix stainless with galv? - not as big a problem as some will make out but you will end up with slightly faster corrosion of the zinc near the stainless for no good reason, and split-links are never as strong as even BBB chain. You might have good reasons but from what you've described if I was replacing the windlass I would get rid of the BBB chain and replace with G40 / high-test, 1/4" depending on the anchor.

Chain (Rocna Knowledge Base)
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the National Association of Chain Manufactuirers (NACM) “Welded Steel Chain Specifications”
Goto ➥ http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29   #4

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
You might have good reasons but from what you've described if I was replacing the windlass I would get rid of the BBB chain and replace with G40 / high-test, 1/4" depending on the anchor.

Chain (Rocna Knowledge Base)
Also depends on the windlass manufacturer offering gypsies for 1/4". My Maxwell HWC2200 does not or at least I have not found one. I use 5/16"HT but as I have mentioned before, most boats will survive nicely on 1/4HT" without cramping the chain locker with the heavier chain.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote