Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53   #16

Re: Chafing guard recommendations?

The leather I bought has been holding up great, plus you can use it all kinds of locations. I ended up needing to put a big disgusting hauser on my sampson post and ended up basically wrapping the post in leather to keep the crusty grossness from shredding the paint.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I must of got hold of some bad leather, I put some on my Pacific Seacrat 25 and it chafed right through in no time. What thickness are you all using?

Anyone use a multi layer approach? Was thinking a soft chafe material next to line, then a harder hose like material. Have it secured where you can slide it to inspect and rotate chafe areas. Thought to perforate the hose, or find soaker hose, to allow heat dissipation.
Just ideas, we have fire hose on everything, but want more options.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i anticipate big winds and swells, , i use double layer anti-chafe...unless i am using firehose, which managed to last 3 seasons for me prior to here, where i have minimal amounts i am re using...
when i use leather i have to use denim also,not light weight stuff, it must be heavy weight.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05   #19

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxmd View Post
Just took over a 28' sailboat and we will be replacing all docking lines and anchor rode. Water can get quite bouncy at the marina where it's at, and we'll be adding rubber snubbers to our docking lines. That will help with the chafing we've seen on the existing lines, but I also want to put some chafing guards where the lines go over the toerail or through the bow fairleads. I've always heard to just use a piece of garden hose, but as I didn't have any spare hose, I stopped at the store. Then I thought - what's the best hose material? Rubber hose or vinyl hose? Then I started thinking about other "tubing" materials when I stopped at a Home Depot...clear vinyl, reinforced vinyl, rubber, polyethylene...even heater hose... I imagine someone out there has experimented with different materials. Any observation or recommendation?
i

If you want an off the shelf best product if say http://www.chafepro.com/. It doesn't slide and easy to use.

If you are on a budget I'd say old fire hose. I've tried both and Chafe Pro outlasts the fire hose but is of course more expensive.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I must of got hold of some bad leather, I put some on my Pacific Seacrat 25 and it chafed right through in no time. What thickness are you all using?
Full grain. Tough as nails, no way you could push a needle anything but a sail needle through and even then it's like pushing a watermelon into a tictac box.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55   #21

This was the ready made leather chafe guards, already perforated for whipping. Does your leather chafe guard get really stiff in the weather? Mine was stiff as a board, then chafed right through during a winter blow.
No issues with fire hose chaffing but my line will still show wear beneath the fire hose . So I was thinking of a layered approach, sigh, but very bulky on the cleat with multiple lines.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:56   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

While leather is certainly nautical and fire hose is certainly cheap, perhaps the most versitile and effective for docklines is tubular climbing webbing. The trick is to place it so that it is fixed to the boat (no chafe on the rough spots) and the line slides inside (nylon on nylon is slick); zero wear for many years.

I have also seen chain used for really nasty docks with surge. Outwears everything.

Sail Delmarva: Anti-Chafe Gear--D-I-Y Alternatives
Old 05-11-2013, 13:12   #23

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Go to your local fire department and ask for hoses that are out of service. I did this in the States and in Grenada. Great material!
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:49   #24

Yes, thinwater, been looking at the climbing chafe gear, that is where I saw the cordura. I like to idea of fixing it to the boat instead of the line. I've read your write up, very good, just forgot about it, darn brain.

I wonder if anyone has had issues with the line being damaged by how the chafe is affixed. I've seem people run zip ties or whipping through the line to keep it I place. Seems it could saw into the line when flexing under load...?
Old 05-11-2013, 14:06   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think, compared to what Rebel Heart is using, our leather is less strong and tough; it is usually for shoes, occasionally really light, as for clothing--but it's cheap and easy to replace. The last project was a cover for our s/s steering wheel, and one usually lasts in that application for 4 years, and in about a year, Jim makes a new one.

We must be very fortunate, or maybe it's the way we tie up; as we rarely replace lines due to chafe, usually the rope gets old and sleasy first. Had some old gold nylon 3/4" line chafe one time, but I thought it was because the line was old and sun damaged--however, I could be wrong....

Ann
Old 05-11-2013, 14:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

First my solution:
I take short segments of dyneema single braid line and bury the dock lines thru it. What I have found works best is dyneema of matched size to the dock lines, so on my boat with 3/4" dock lines I use 3/4 dyneema. This gives enough dimension to slide easily thru, but no so large that it falls off.

Reasons:
1) studies have shown that one of the primary problems with chaff guards is that they can actually increase chaff. As the line itself stretches and rebounds the friction between the outer layer of line and the chaff guard can be substantial. This friction creates huge amounts of heat, which since the chaff guard protects the water from water can actually melt nylon dock lines. The worst offender is actually plastic tubing

2) dyneema has a coefficient of friction of .04, which is substantially lower than Teflon. So the stretching of the dockline inside the dyneema tube creates very little friction

3) because dyneema has a very open weave, particularly when spread to allow the dockline to pass thru it allows a steady stream of water into the line. This allows plenty of cooling

4) dyneema is the most abrasion resistant fiber on the planet, far surpassing leather.

5) at about $2 a foot it is pretty cheap, and very easy to install.

6) my sleeves are three years old and still look new, even the ones rubbing on the concrete dock.

Chaff guard study - Chafe Protection for Dock Lines - Practical Sailor Article
Properties of dyneema - http://www.poly-dk.dk/pictures_org/Dozens.pdf

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:47   #27

Thank you stumble, good stuff!
Old 05-11-2013, 16:13   #28

Here's an old blog post that Charlotte made, it shows her using the leather and making them.

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog - Custom Dock Line Chafe*Guards

Those were made in 2011 and most of them are still fully operational. Some have worn through, mainly because of strong tidal conditions that just kept the lines taught no matter what you do.

You can buy *a lot* of leather pretty cheap, we used these guys:

Just Leather.Com

Another nice thing about leather is that you don't necessarily need to put it on the line, you can put it around an object (like a sampson post), or momentarily relieve tension so that you can put a paper-plate sized piece under a chafe point.