Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 12:15   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Can Dyneema Chafe through Stainless Steel? Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
a. Was the snubber typically in the water or above? I'm assuming above.

The snubber is always below the water. The bridle is about 5 meters long so the eye will always be submerged.
From the length doesn't sound like it, but going the other direction, was the bridle ever able to get into the mud/bottom? Perhaps in a low oxygen environment (mangrove muds, that kind of place)? For a while (not much pull, boat drifting around)?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 12:20   #17

Boat: Xquisite X5 50"

I have a similar set up with a mantus bridle. The thimble would not fit through the bow roller design on my boat. Sailmaker/rigger at Shelter Bay suggested to remove the thimble and use a Bow shackle to the chain and eye. So far no issues, although I would like to try to use dyneema in place of or as a backup to the shackle.
jclark500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 14:48   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Thank you for the reply. This is still baffling, since chafe of this type is unknown, and Dyneema is in very wide use. Certainly, this is the result of something other than simple chafe. The pattern is wrong and the stainless is (appears to be) rough and rusty, which does not add up, not one bit. There are skips in the wear, which does not happen with chafe. I think it is obvious that there is some other factor involved, either odd metalurgy, a surface hardening effect (I've seen this is cold rolled steel) or something electrochemical, but for now it is a mystery. I'm leaning towards some factor relating to how the steel was rolled and formed.

Did you observe this happen slowly, at a steady rate, over a period of years, or did you notice it only recently?

The bridle is a Mantus bridle and while I've not tested it, I assume the thimble is a good quality stainless (like all Mantus products). There are three groves, one shorter than the other two. The grooves go clear around from one side, through the eye and equally down the other side of the thimble.

The thimble may have been in the mud/sand at various times. Our keel is 2.1 meters so we prefer to anchor places where we have a t least 5 meters at LAT - but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

We've on eh hook almost constantly the past three years. I noticed this first time about 18 months ago - back then there was only 1 groove.

I have noticed no grooves etc in the chain. When examining it, it almost seems as if the Dyneema pushed its way into the steel - there is a slight raised ridge on the side of the grooves.

While I admit that we have anchored in some pretty heavy swells/weather - it probably wasn't heavy enough to simply pull the Dyneema into the thimble

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 15:24   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

get rid of that thimble. i use soft shackle from 6 mm dyneema (as big as it can go thru chain) and attach to rope directly. The rope loop is very tight so there is no movement.

Works that way 6 years and 0 chafe.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 15:40   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

That looks to me more like corrosion than chafe. I suspect that the shackle may not be 316 either--try it with a magnet--.

But 316 is not corrosion resistant either in some circumstances.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 16:18   #21

Boat: adams 35

A couple of possibilities spring to mind.

When the anchor is out of the water presumably the wet salty dyneema is sitting in air against the thimble possibly for several days at a time. This would be conducive to crevice corrosion particularly if it is a lower grade stainless. Note that a magnet will not tell you the quality of a stainless, I have seen stamped 316 which is almost as magnetic as iron.

The other thought is that thimbles are usually used to protect a rope from chafe against a shackle or similar hard object. Using it to connect two ropes like this is unusual.The rope going around the thimble is spreading its load over a large surface. The dyneema is putting exactly the same load on a very small portion of the thimble.

Now if that dyneema contained a few grains of sand the constant pull then relax, then pull and relax all night on one small spot might just be enough to abrade the stainless. The chafe pattern would not be a normal groove because the sand would be moving around in one position not running past as is commonly seen in chafe so the chafe pattern would not be a smooth groove
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 16:55   #22

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I have worn out an anchor from too much wear from the anchor to shackle, eventually there is no metal on the anchor left. I know it sounds crazy but this happened to me after 10 years of anchoring, and the anchor itself had zero galvanization left and flakes of metal falling off it.

Now I wrap all around the anchor in the hole where the shackle attaches with dyneema twine so that the shackle does not wear the anchor, maybe not the best way, but so far it's working.

Does anyone put zincs on their anchors?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:30   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Is the chain galvanized or stainless?
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:13   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
Is the chain galvanized or stainless?
The chain is galvanized.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 01-10-2020, 12:34   #25
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Gentlemen that looks like pitting corrosion and would be covered under our warranty.... We will reach out to the customer and replace his bridal.
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 23:05   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wow! Good on you, Greg, and Mantus Anchors.

Ann
Old 01-10-2020, 23:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Gentlemen that looks like pitting corrosion and would be covered under our warranty.... We will reach out to the customer and replace his bridal.
Greg
Now that is good old fashioned service, well done Mantus and Greg

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:00   #28

This, the topping lift topic that snapped twice.

I was going to replace my topping lifts with it, not so sure now, thinking dyneema might be best used for emergency standing rigging etc repairs, and on racing boats that go in a closed garage when not in use.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:50   #29

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to let you all know. Greg wrote to me yesterday and said it was a warranty issue. I told him I was NOT complaining - the bridle still works fine and I'm happy with it.

This morning when I got up, there was a message in my email that Mantus had already shipped a new bridle to me.

I have to say that in this day and age, finding a company that stands this solidly behind their products is (unfortunately) very rare.

I cannot say enough good things about Mantus (and their products, of which I own several).

Greg - My hat is off to you - few manufacturers would do this of their own volition.

Old 02-10-2020, 19:39   #30
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Thank you!
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema, stainless steel, steel