Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2021, 06:41   #316

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Bruce or CQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Clearly you are at the apex of seamanship a master of marine systems and have the most seaworthy vessel on the water. Congratulations.
Hey thanks.

You can save a lot by not only learning to sail/navigate on your own but also by doing all your own maintenance to include painting, (bottom, topsides, deck, and interior) engines, electronics (to include solar installation), and batteries.

It seems more enjoyable and you get to know your boat better I believe.

As far as the most seaworthy vessel, you may have over estimated a bit. My rigging is at an undetermined age but is at least 17-20 years old.

Seacocks are the original, but I did replace the tiller after breaking it in half one day sailing across the bay. Came in by steering with the sails then used the outboard when I got out of the larger waves. It was blowing around 18-20 knots.

New tiller was $75 off EBay. Holes drilled were a match!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00361.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	246291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00381.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	246294  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00382.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	246295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00373.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	246298  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:38   #317

Tested the new setup (new/spare rope rode and heavier chain plus old CQR) in 20' of water yesterday after sailing a few hours and it hooked up immediately with the main sail up.

Lowered the main then jump over and scrubbed/scrapped the crap (barnacles etc) from along the waterline while holding onto the boat with one arm ..............quite the workout for someone in the mid 60's with no boarding ladder.

It was also another good lesson about not falling off the boat especially those that are older.

Could really feel the increased weight though but I did put the main up before I pulled the anchor. Even so I when forward near the tip of the bow so I could stand and pull it straight up.

The anchor came up clean so no dark mud in this area mostly sand,,,,,,off the beach near the condo's southern end of the bay
Old 09-10-2021, 04:44   #318

Boat: Lagoon 380

We had 30 kts last night for about an hour. Zero drag in grassy sand. It is important to have 7:1 chain scope
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:11   #319

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Clearly you are at the apex of seamanship a master of marine systems and have the most seaworthy vessel on the water. Congratulations.

Thomm, FYI, I enjoyed reading your posts and always admire folks who can get a lot of enjoyment from their boats without breaking the bank.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:28   #320
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bruce or CQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Thomm, FYI, I enjoyed reading your posts and always admire folks who can get a lot of enjoyment from their boats without breaking the bank.
+1

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:32   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Thanks, Waterman.

I've been looking for a bit larger boat, but every time I'm about to buy I realize I really don't need a larger one yet plus the house (that I might live in some after I retire) and a few other things take priority.

Also this boat I bought in 2011 was loaded up with equipment so I really haven't had to spent too much on it in 10 years. Also it's pretty well put together and has taught me how much stronger it is than I am.

Plus I'm starting to look forward to the no shirt, no shoes life........these last 2-3 years at work will be a challenge.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:37   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
+1
Thanks Boatman61.

Also, you are one of the few guys on here I actually listen to.

Posted from the boat on my Raspberry Pi. I came down to check my dock lines as we're having some pretty strong ENE winds today.

The marina finally has all their WiFi hotspots installed and one is about 12' from my boat!
Old 09-10-2021, 11:50   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks Boatman61.

Also, you are one of the few guys on here I actually listen to.

Posted from the boat on my Raspberry Pi. I came down to check my dock lines as we're having some pretty strong ENE winds today.

The marina finally has all their WiFi hotspots installed and one is about 12' from my boat!
Let the movie streaming begin .
Old 09-10-2021, 11:51   #324
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bruce or CQR

Neat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:55   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Let the movie streaming begin .
I need to record some new videos.

I think folks might be getting tired of the ones I show over and over ........except maybe the tractor videos!
Old 09-10-2021, 11:58   #326
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

https://youtu.be/P0hyDXcdUe8

I would love to see how a genuine Bruce as well as a real Danforth preform considering the Danforth usually outperforms the fortress of similar weights.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:24   #327

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hey thanks.

You can save a lot by not only learning to sail/navigate on your own but also by doing all your own maintenance to include painting, (bottom, topsides, deck, and interior) engines, electronics (to include solar installation), and batteries.

It seems more enjoyable and you get to know your boat better I believe.

As far as the most seaworthy vessel, you may have over estimated a bit. My rigging is at an undetermined age but is at least 17-20 years old.

Seacocks are the original, but I did replace the tiller after breaking it in half one day sailing across the bay. Came in by steering with the sails then used the outboard when I got out of the larger waves. It was blowing around 18-20 knots.

New tiller was $75 off EBay. Holes drilled were a match!

Bought my boat, after it sat on the hard for 25 years. Did everything to it, plus, myself. Painted entire outsides, barrier coated, rebuilt the engine, re-rigged, sewed my dodger and bimini, bought new sails and new electronics, the list goes on. There isn't one inch of the boat I haven't seen. I know my boat better than the original owner, so I agree with that part... I also bought a lightly used Spade anchor to protect my investment(and my self). It's held my boat and a buddy's rafted up to me in 25 knots. A powerboat came in, during the blow, and it took 5 tries before their Bruce finally grabbed, in a mud and kelp bottom. The Spade replaced a CQR, that dragged twice. Fortunately I was onboard both times. I couldn't give my CQR away. I tried.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:50   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Bought my boat, after it sat on the hard for 25 years. Did everything to it, plus, myself. Painted entire outsides, barrier coated, rebuilt the engine, re-rigged, sewed my dodger and bimini, bought new sails and new electronics, the list goes on. There isn't one inch of the boat I haven't seen. I know my boat better than the original owner, so I agree with that part... I also bought a lightly used Spade anchor to protect my investment(and my self). It's held my boat and a buddy's rafted up to me in 25 knots. A powerboat came in, during the blow, and it took 5 tries before their Bruce finally grabbed, in a mud and kelp bottom. The Spade replaced a CQR, that dragged twice. Fortunately I was onboard both times. I couldn't give my CQR away. I tried.
I haven't tried giving my CQR away yet. Even though it's undersized for my boat, it has held well in winds to 30 knots or so and gusts over 40.

With the spare heavy chain added now, I think it will even better better going forward as this chain is slightly larger and longer.

The old CQR came up clean on the morning after in these videos so it was more sand than mud and maybe some seaweed. I tried to get in closer for more cover, but it was too shallow so I tossed the old CQR in and got online for a while then this squall came up

The good thing here was that I had an offshore wind and 30 miles of bay behind me.

Old 04-02-2022, 22:52   #329

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

There is a Bristol 27 in Peck Lake FL dragging all over the place. It had a smallish CQR anchor with quite a bit of chain and 3 strand nylon chuffed down to one strand. It dragged into me on night. Someone cut out the chafed sections of nylon and reattached it to the chain and reanchored it with more scope. It was holding when I left there. It was registered in South Carolina but had been registered in VA. Could see the faded old numbers that had been removed. Anyone know who it might belong to? No one was on it for quite some time but it was buttoned up well.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 22:55   #330

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

It had a newish 5 HP Tohatsu and a solar panel that was dangling from its mount. It hit the weather station platform I think.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cqr