Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 13:32   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV
Re: Bruce for Eastern Caribbean ?

I have cruised pretty much the entire eastern Caribbean - from Puerto Rico to Grenada - on a Bruce anchor and it has worked like a charm for me (touch wood). (Gulfstar 50, 37,000lbs, 66lb Bruce, all chain rode) Also works like a charm in the Chesapeake, New England, and Lake Ontario for that matter)

I have know idea what other folks are talking about.

In the Eastern Carib, you're going to be anchoring in sand pretty much everywhere. In all but a few places, the water will be 25' or less. Just use prudent anchoring practices and you'll be fine.

Have fun.
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 20:05   #17

Boat: Taswell 49
Thanks again to all who have replied with their experience. Thinking now maybe swapping out the bruce for a 55lb delta or maybe Manson. My wife will kill me if I bring home another anchor though. Gotta get rid of some of these things.
Old 02-08-2011, 19:13   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Bruce for Eastern Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Thanks everyone. Still waiting to hear from someone who has actually used a bruce in the eastern caribbean though...
Boat is insured and will be cruising with family for what ever that is worth.
- - I have used a 66# Bruce on all chain successfully in the eastern Caribbean for over 6 years. However, I also have a FX-55 on the bow and use it for shallow soft bottoms. The Bruce I use in deep anchorages or rubble bottom anchorages. You just need to know what each is good for and not try to use it in an inappropriate bottom condition.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 20:56   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Our Bruce didn't even move in the 120 knots wind from Ivan in Grenada but it is a 80kg/176lb version.

With Bruce the trick is to go original Bruce and big. If you can't do that you better look at the Rocna or it's knock-offs.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Our Bruce didn't even move in the 120 knots wind from Ivan in Grenada but it is a 80kg/176lb version.

With Bruce the trick is to go original Bruce and big. If you can't do that you better look at the Rocna or it's knock-offs.

ciao!
Nick.

Thanks Nick. Thinking of swapping out the bruce for a 55lb delta. Boat is about 28k lbs disp. Not sure I have the budget for a rocna.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Nick. Thinking of swapping out the bruce for a 55lb delta. Boat is about 28k lbs disp. Not sure I have the budget for a rocna.
I consider a 55lb Delta a small to very small anchor for your boat. You can try to find 2nd hand anchors and if not Rocna-style I would go at least for 66-70 lb.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18   #22

Quote:
I consider a 55lb Delta a small to very small anchor for your boat. You can try to find 2nd hand anchors and if not Rocna-style I would go at least for 66-70 lb.

ciao!
Nick.

Really? wow. Been using a 45lb bruce for the past 2 years and have not dragged once but its all been chesapeake bay mud so prob not a good comparison. We are takingoff next fall for points south. Plan to start with leeward islands.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Really? wow. Been using a 45lb bruce for the past 2 years and have not dragged once but its all been chesapeake bay mud so prob not a good comparison. We are takingoff next fall for points south. Plan to start with leeward islands.
Well, what can I say... I have seen boats much smaller than yours with 66lb CQR's that managed to drag them. I have seen 45lb CQR's on 30' boats that refuse to dig into the hard sand bottoms that you can find (Trinidad) while snorkeling right on top of it.

I don't know what your plans are but if it is liveaboard cruising and spending that time at anchor (instead of marina's) then you really need to change something. The anchor gear is more important than most other things aboard in that scenario.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:39   #24

Quote:
Well, what can I say... I have seen boats much smaller than yours with 66lb CQR's that managed to drag them. I have seen 45lb CQR's on 30' boats that refuse to dig into the hard sand bottoms that you can find (Trinidad) while snorkeling right on top of it.

I don't know what your plans are but if it is liveaboard cruising and spending that time at anchor (instead of marina's) then you really need to change something. The anchor gear is more important than most other things aboard in that scenario.

ciao!
Nick.

hard to disagree there Nick. In looking at the Delta I thought going up to 55lbs was upsizing but the so called guide is only based on boat length which is pretty much meaninless in my opinion. The 70lb delta is supposedly good for 50-60' boat. Perhops 70lbs is way to go... Manganese Steel Delta Anchor
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57   #25

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: Bruce Anchor for Eastern Caribbean ?

Note the Rocnas are having issues with bending and soft metal. They've been completely discredited on other forums. Their Chinese versions have metal that is measured to be inferior, by their own statements of required quality. The meatiest part of the thread is post #781.

They've also been caught flat-out-lying about their RINA certification.

Bummer, since I like the design.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
Note the Rocnas are having issues with bending and soft metal. They've been completely discredited on other forums. Their Chinese versions have metal that is measured to be inferior, by their own statements of required quality. The meatiest part of the thread is post #781.

They've also been caught flat-out-lying about their RINA certification.

Bummer, since I like the design.

Regards,
Brad

Not really an issue as I do not have a $1,500 anchor budget. Looking at a 70lb delta at this stage although rocna or manson would be nice. Just not going to happen this go around.
Old 04-08-2011, 14:01   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
That's a testament to power of gravity, not the anchor.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:49   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
That's a testament to power of gravity, not the anchor.
Tom
I know it's a joke, but let me explain that the Bruce ended up about 20' down into the seabed which was clay/sand. It took 5 hours of using the engine and windlass to retrieve the anchor. The only indication of progress was that we got slack in the chain every time. The thought of giving up had crossed my mind :-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 04-08-2011, 16:35   #29

Boat: PETERSON 44
The other gravity thought I'm having. Although I haven't experienced gravity using a Bruce in the islands. I think were I going new I'd spend the few extra bucks if it took 10 to 15 lbs off the end. I went up to 3/8 chain from 5/16 and the handling of the anchor and that added weight is way different.weigh different. I think having the Bruce is great experience is it hasn't been an issue.it's a tad light for a blow I guess although it's stuck well in those with the lesser chain. I think having the fortress and in my case the bigger car is a reasonable arsenal. I'm thinking of kicking the car out and going with similar Manson. Probably the manson would go primary and the Bruce 2nd.10 more lbs I could handle over that it's going to be a storm anchor. I'm getting older so it's a good argument that I spend a little more but lift a little less. Hopefully I don't get raked as this is a little off from your question.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 17:20   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The weight and handling is always an issue until you give up the thought you can handle it with muscles. In our case, a 176lb Bruce simply means that you're not even gonna think about that. Still, handling this has never been easier in all the years I'm out with boats... I dare to state it's easier than the 7lb hooker in my dinghy. But the design of chain locker, windlass, rollers etc. better be good so that it just always works push-button easy.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
anchor, Caribbean, eastern caribbean