Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2010, 05:10   #1

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
Bow Roller with No Way to Capture Chain - How to Fix ?

I have TWO x bow rollers .. neither having any way to stop the chain "jumping off".

I have a windlass, that I only use when the chain is "Up_&_down" (to break her out)

Then I just haul her on up: quicker

Problem is - with no "pin_across_the_top" , to stop the chain rising upward, it frequently happens that the chain 'jumps out of roller, slips out, down across the gunnell and headds back toward my feet,
taking / grinding the gunnell as she goes.

As with most else, I've not found swearing too effective.

A massive heave forward _ up _ & _ Over again gets the chain back on the roller, and I'm back pulling chain, ready for the farce to repeat.

Ho Humm

Suggestions welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 126.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	19281  
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 05:25   #2

Maybe V-shaped rollers. Otherwise a visit to the local welder for some hoops or whatever.

Grinding the gunnels...ugh...that's brutal.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 06:17   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
the whole thing looks light, the rollers should be at the bottom ofa deep "U" beam. or else get "cheeks" welded on.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 06:42   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I agree--its hard to see from the pictures, but the only thing taking the load is the shaft of the roller as a cantilever--it would be best to start over, because if the anchor catches under a rock you are going to have several thousand pounds of load on the roller.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 07:13   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
If the chain's too big for the rollers or the angle between roller and windlass is too great, you can get the chain to jump off. Also, I'd check that the roller assembly was very secure. Vibration and chain movement can set up some strange conditions.

You don't mention if you use nylon rode but as an experiment you might consider attaching some to the chain and trying that. If the nylon has the same problems as the chain then I'd look at angle differences (maybe canting the rollers to be more in line with the windlass). If you don't then I'd think the alignment is right and consider bigger rollers.

You might consider extending the ears on the rollers, fabricating a removable strap over each roller to keep the chain in place, consider going to larger rollers, or possibly repositioning the rollers (maybe a bit higher or forward). Another suggestion would be to get the roller modified so that the chain diameter matched the groove in the roller. That would help prevent excessive vertical movement and provide a better guide for the chain.
Old 16-09-2010, 09:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Why not simply have a chain keeper made up of 1/8" or 3/16" plate and replace the axel bolts through the roller with threaded rods so you can use a wing nut to release the keeper when you need to? A bow roller is not designed for, and should not be subjected to, anchoring loads which should be carried by a snubbing line or bridle connected to you anchor rode and lead to deck cleats or a Sampson Post. You might have a chain keeper made up like:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chain Keeper.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	19286  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 09:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Both those rollers are entirely useless, I would rip them both off and replace with a proper roller assembly set-up.

You don't need a pin across the top, you want deep cheek plates as Dave first suggested, plus wider rollers of a larger diameter preferably cut with sloping concave surfaces and a chain groove.

Bow roller assembly design (Rocna Knowledge Base)
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 16:08   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Check out this solution - Schaeffer boom bails. Available in most boat parts stores. Link: Wilkie's Sailboat Page
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Br2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	19326  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote