Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 09:59   #1

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Bow Protection from Anchors

I just got a new Rocna 25kg anchor. I am concerned about the tip of the anchor hitting the fiberglass underneath the anchor rollers. The Bruce I had did not give me as much concern. The Rocna retrieves easy and sets on the roller without a problem. I will be securing the anchor shank to a pin that is between the roller and the windlass to take the load off the windlass after I bring it up. The anchor cannot hit the bow then but I am concerned that it might swing into the bow during retrieval especially in choppy conditions.

There is beefy piece of stainless that the anchor roller/bow sprit is welded to but it is only about 3-4" across and doesn't protect the glass away from that. I have attached two pics (shank not secured down yet).

Anyone have any suggestions as to materials that might work, attachments, or ideas to keep it from hitting under any situation? Stainless would be best if I could afford it but looking for other ideas of something I might be able to buy and adapt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	88295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	88296  

exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:04   #2

Re: Bow Protection from Anchors

it appears that it wont hit when it's nested in the roller...? If you make sure the shank is fastened down it cant tip up right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:07   #3

It won't hit when it fully up and secured but it can as it comes up on the roller when the shank is at about a 45 degree angle to plane.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:28   #4

We have a similar situation on our Moody and in fact I whacked the bow once in waves when I hesitated at the wrong time.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
It won't hit when it fully up and secured but it can as it comes up on the roller when the shank is at about a 45 degree angle to plane.
Ah yeah, I can see that. It's def an issue when dangling also. Best solution is likely a more extended roller! I wonder of a roller above the rode somehow would keep that from occurring? Such that when the shank comes aboard it is forced under the "above" roller... hmmm
There are a lot of schemes out there, from stainless to strips of Ironbark. maybe some Treadmaster Diamondplate cut and 5200'd on would work. Google "bow anchor protection". Lots of images like these:

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:42   #6

The roller above the roller is a novel idea. Extending the roller would definitely solve the problem but would cost much more than I can afford at the moment. I have been thinking of it. The roller above the roller would also be spendy. So I need a cheaper, but not a band-aid, solution. Thanks for the ideas though.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:58   #7

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

exMaggieDrum,

I have a similar situation and I went for the "band aid" solution.

I built this roller so that a Bruce (now use a Manson but clearance same) anchor would just clear the stem. Like you, when the anchor is at an angle, there was a potential for the anchor tip to contact the hull.

I made up this guard from two pieces of aluminum, welded and sanded smooth. Guard is attached (over finished paint) with 5200 only.

In your case (with a stem fitting), I would probably make two individual guards - one on each side. They could just be simple, flat sheets of metal (stainless matches your boat better) cut and filed into a nice looking shape and gooped on.

No big deal if they fall off someday. Unless the goop takes a hunk of gelcoat (or paint?) with it.

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 11:42   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

Just thinking out loud here....could you not remove your existing roller...and drill a set of holes higher up in the meat of the roller bracket...ie as far up as you dare above and or possibly past or both.....and re-install the roller? Perhaps this would work, at worst, you have an extra set of holes, no big deal, best case, you have a working answer to your issue?

gunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
The roller above the roller is a novel idea. Extending the roller would definitely solve the problem but would cost much more than I can afford at the moment. I have been thinking of it. The roller above the roller would also be spendy. So I need a cheaper, but not a band-aid, solution. Thanks for the ideas though.
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:47   #9

Thanks for the input guys. I did try to google but must have used other words that didn't work. I'll try again. The rubber thingies are pretty ugly. I walked the docks here today and saw a "fender" made of 6" PVC pipe that was tied on - two 45 degree elbows and a short straight. Really shipshape - not!

A friend just showed me a boat with a double roller "seesaw" arrangement. The middle had a pin where the existing roller would be with the "board" a new channel piece of stout stainless with a roller at each end that seesawed on the pin in the middle. I tried to get a good pic but it's hard to get a good angle with the anchor loaded on it. That looks like it would work but would not be cheap. A concern would be the load on the setup at anchor with the chain riding on both rollers. But it would keep the anchor out and away from the bow when bringing it up. The rollers would have to be smaller to fit within the new channel which would fit inside the existing roller holder. It would put the anchor farther out. It would not be ugly either if done right. But - $$$!

I thought about using Starboard and goo it on but it is pretty soft. Gluing on some aluminum or stainless plate might work but the hull is painted and it might not stay on and then peel the paint.
Old 16-09-2014, 15:04   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Here are my before and after photos of the stainless shield that I added due to some nicks on my stem from my various anchors over many years.

.... a bruce sits here now, but it's removed in the photo to show the protective addition. I've been very pleased with this shield.

Tags
anchor, rot