Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 10:24   #1

Boat: Hunter 380
Boat and Dinghy Protection from Chain Rodes

I just installed new davits on my sailboat and am getting ready to hoist the dinghy and outboard soon. I had been very concerned about dinghy and outboard security. From reading posts on this site, I have determined to use a strong chain to secure the dinghy and outboard to the boat when its on the davits and to the dock, when we are tied ashore.

That is a long winded preface to my question. To those doing the same thing, what do you use to protect the dinghy and boat from damage the heavy chain could cause to surfaces it touches? I would think that it would be a chain covering of some kind but I am not seeing any postings of what is being used.

Thank you for your suggestions. The help members of CF have given me over the years is immense.
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 10:29   #2

Re: Boat and Dinghy Protection from Chain Rodes

I use a 3/8 7x19 ss wire rope encased in vinyl tube with socketed 10" loops each end with a ss padlock.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 10:38   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I use a 3/8 7x19 ss wire rope encased in vinyl tube with socketed 10" loops each end with a ss padlock.
Same here.

If anyone really wants it, they have a portable angle grinder anyway, which cuts easily through chain or cable.

Locks & cable or chain stop only those who are unprepared...
Old 27-03-2023, 12:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Same here.

If anyone really wants it, they have a portable angle grinder anyway, which cuts easily through chain or cable.

Locks & cable or chain stop only those who are unprepared...
All you can really do is deter those looking for easy pickings. Encourage them to "move along, the next boat will be easier..."
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 15:16   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boles View Post
I just installed new davits on my sailboat and am getting ready to hoist the dinghy and outboard soon. I had been very concerned about dinghy and outboard security. From reading posts on this site, I have determined to use a strong chain to secure the dinghy and outboard to the boat when its on the davits and to the dock, when we are tied ashore.

That is a long winded preface to my question. To those doing the same thing, what do you use to protect the dinghy and boat from damage the heavy chain could cause to surfaces it touches? I would think that it would be a chain covering of some kind but I am not seeing any postings of what is being used.

Thank you for your suggestions. The help members of CF have given me over the years is immense.
You can get chafing gear for your chain; or make it. If you buy some leather, you can sew it on yourself. I have found it helpful to mark where I want to make the stitches, so that they are of equal size, and look tidy. You need a glovers needle for light weight leather and a fine sail needle for heavier weight.

One key to lessening chafe is just to put anything between the dink and the surface it will rub on, then tie it so it cannot move. Even rags will work. We carry leather for various things, so it is handy for us, bought from leather wholesalers. You can also sew up a chain cover and have it close with velcro, so it is readily removable. The downside to sewing leather on chain is that once the salt water gets into it, and it will, from the air, if not from spray, it will be continually damp, and you'd really prefer it to be dry.

Leather makes good chafe gear for line, also, and this boat had rawhide spreader boots when we got her. It was just what had come to hand at the time it was needed.

When we chain the dinghy to the boat, as when we're leaving it for a trip, we don't do anything, because it's upside down on the deck at that point, lashed for a passage, and the chain goes from a bow shackle on the bow of the RIB to the nearest stanchion and back to the the shackle.

At docks, the chain runs from the o/b through the handle of the gas tank, over the bow, and then, with a lot of slack to a cleat, and locked to itself. Remember to lock it so the guy who got there first can still get his dinghy unlocked, too.

Ann
Old 27-03-2023, 15:20   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Vinyl coated chain
https://www.westmarine.com/greenfiel...4_001_503.html

Plus a micro security camera with record function
https://reolink.com/blog/12-voltage-...-buying-guide/

And good insurance.
Old 27-03-2023, 15:31   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I was having this discussion about locking up motorcycles recently.

That’s even worse because it’s so simple to bring an angle grinder along for that.

Apparently the best way to slow an angle grinder is to wrap the chain in a Kevlar sock.

That slows things down quite a bit apparently. They will move onto the next one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 03:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It's harder to cut a cable with bolt cutters than a chain. And cable is lighter.
Old 28-03-2023, 09:55   #9

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Apparently the best way to slow an angle grinder is to wrap the chain in a Kevlar sock.

That slows things down quite a bit apparently. They will move onto the next one.
not really Chotu. At work (college in a large metropolitan city) we have to purge old abandoned student bikes from the bike parking to make room for new students.

an 18v dewalt angle grinder with a thin abrasive cutoff disc has no enemies. every year we see new locks, new coverings, cables, square chain, round chain, u-locks. a fresh battery 30 seconds on a hardened chain, maybe 60 on a U lock. 10-15 on a cable/wire rope. coverings didn't matter.

if they want it they'll get it.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 09:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
not really Chotu. At work (college in a large metropolitan city) we have to purge old abandoned student bikes from the bike parking to make room for new students.

an 18v dewalt angle grinder with a thin abrasive cutoff disc has no enemies. every year we see new locks, new coverings, cables, square chain, round chain, u-locks. a fresh battery 30 seconds on a hardened chain, maybe 60 on a U lock. 10-15 on a cable/wire rope. coverings didn't matter.

if they want it they'll get it.
I don’t know. That’s what the motorcycle guy said. They said it causes a lot of problems when you are trying to grind through it. Gets all caught up and just makes it difficult.
Old 28-03-2023, 10:16   #11

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don’t know. That’s what the motorcycle guy said. They said it causes a lot of problems when you are trying to grind through it. Gets all caught up and just makes it difficult.

the only thing that it does that's frustrating is if the grinder jumps out of the groove that you are cutting you have to pull the fibers back out of the way to see the groove again...

some of very newer D and U locks have specialized ceramic coatings and some are just bulking up the material (13 lbs lock) to make it take longer.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 10:33   #12

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

At the risk of answering the OP’s question - we have 3/8” chain to secure our dinghy and a length of fire hose fits over this very nicely. I think I used about 4 feet of fire hose to make sure the tubes of the dinghy are protected.

Good luck!

Steve\
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 10:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
the only thing that it does that's frustrating is if the grinder jumps out of the groove that you are cutting you have to pull the fibers back out of the way to see the groove again...

some of very newer D and U locks have specialized ceramic coatings and some are just bulking up the material (13 lbs lock) to make it take longer.
OK. While I have you here, what would you use to keep a motorcycle secure on land? out in public. Unattended.

I have been trying to reason through this a little bit over the past six months or so.
Old 28-03-2023, 12:34   #14

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch

Used fire hose. Make friends at local fd and you can probably come away with a roll. Works good on all manner of chafe needs on boat.
Klos2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 14:00   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I must be living right or sumptin'.....

I've never locked my dink nor motor and both have stayed put pretty much where I leave them....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dinghy, rode, rot