Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2010, 14:59   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Agree completely Randy,
My life will depend on this anchor tackle. I have handled a mason but I have yet to be able to inspect a rocna. Frankly, not sure what I will see when comparing the construction quality of the two anchors side by side, I think it might boil down to instinct.
BTW- If I look at it and think "it is way too big!" then I'll know I have found OG's anchor

Erika
Old 17-04-2010, 15:27   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Erika,

Lots of passionate opinions expressed here -- I wonder what it is about anchors that gets folks' plood pressures wound up so tight?

Anyway, you mentioned being able soon to do a side-by-side comparison of the Rocna and Manson anchors. May I suggest that you take some sort of measuring gear with you, and actually measure the shank cross sections at their smallest points. Then determaind the grade of steel used in the shank. From these data you can get a good idea of their relative strengths. Then, compare this strength to that of your chain... I expect that you will find that both designs are far stronger (in tension) than even high-test chain. Then consider other weak points... I wonder if the welded joint between shank and fluke isn't the critical factor? And then ask your "welder bloke" about welds between the rolled steel shank and a cast fluke such as the Chinese Rocna uses. I'm not an expert, but the metallurgy of the two kinds of steel are different enough that such a weld might be tricky, and QA would be essential.

Finally, as others have said, I very strongly doubt that you would ever be able to tell the difference in performance between similar size Mansons and Rocnas. They are both good anchors and either will serve you well. Determaining who copied who in truth would tax Sherlock Holmes, and frankly, I don't care... I just want a good anchor!

Oh, for the record, we use a Manson Supreme 60 lb on Insatiable II, and have found it to work better than any previous anchor. We never use the long slot to attach the chain, but do have a shackle in the slot. When anchoring in questionable bottoms, one can attach an anchor bouy to that shackle, giving an easy means of dragging a fouled anchor out backwards.

So Erika, I hope that you can soon come to a conclusion that you are comfortable with and then get on to worrying about a new quandry!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Lake Macquarie, NSW, Oz
Old 17-04-2010, 18:55   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Design stealing? It strikes me like evolution.

Many anchors use the same basic angle. No new inventions there.

The shank sure looks like a Delta, which borrowed ideas from CQR. Eventually they learned the difference between a wedge (Delta) and a plow (CQR).

In fact, the fluke and angle look a lot like a Northill with a fluke trimmed off. Evolution.

Many of the new anchors forgot one feature of the Delta (it comes up clean - little sand or mud, because it's a wedge, not a scoop). Some are worse than others.

Ease of break-out when vertical? I've never seen test results, but I would be interested. Don't know.

So much hype and stone throwing. There are 4-5 really good designs out there. Choose.
Old 18-04-2010, 04:48   #19

Boat: Sabre 28
"As you correctly point out, the buegel's buegel (loop) was the genuine innovation, followed by derivatives.."

Have seen it said that Bruce patented the hoop in the '70s but never used it in a product.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote