Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2011, 13:01   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Best Chain Rode Maintenance

I have 200 ft of chain rode on my boat and it is starting to look a little funky. It is showing lots of dirt and some rust in places. What is the best/neatest way to clean up rode? I could spray some kind of oil onto it but I can just see that becoming a total pig sty.
unbusted67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 13:11   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

A sad truth is that when you put chain in the water, over time it will rust. The only solution I know of is to re-galvavize the chain before the metal starts to flake off. Once the flaking process starts you must consider replacement.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 16:01   #3

Boat: CS 36t

Do you end for end your chain on a regular basis? If you don't this can help get even wear/corrosion throughout. Otherwise, the only other option is to regalvanize or replace, both of which are expensive.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 17:08   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Does your anchor locker drain?
I have seen some where the drain hole is a few inches off the bottom and only on one side meaning that the bottom part of the chain is sitting in water most of the time.
Ensure drain holes are at the lowest point or build a false floor (I have done both in my lockers
Old 20-11-2011, 17:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Otherwise, the only other option is to regalvanize or replace, both of which are expensive.
Had a price for re gal in Australia a few days ago.
0.50c/kg for stripping/cleaning and $1.01/kg for gal.
100m of 10mm will cost $350 to re do.

New, you will looking at upwards of $1000 to $1600 depending on breed.
Old 20-11-2011, 20:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Does your anchor locker drain?
I have seen some where the drain hole is a few inches off the bottom and only on one side meaning that the bottom part of the chain is sitting in water most of the time.
Ensure drain holes are at the lowest point or build a false floor (I have done both in my lockers
As a matter of fact going to have to repair the bulkhead adjacent to the anchor locker for just this reason. The drain at the "bottom" of the anchor locker is not at the bottom at all. It is about 3 inches higher. As a result the locker has about that much standing water in it at all times and the bulkhead -and apparently the chain - are rotting because of it. Should I build a false floor or drill a new hole? Bad design or what? Sheesh!
Old 20-11-2011, 23:44   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Should I build a false floor or drill a new hole?

Both.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 02:27   #8

Boat: Gib sea 43

I have the same problem, looked into shot blasting/regalvanizing, but the price locally is astronomical, it was much cheaper just to buy new chain.
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 02:55   #9

Boat: Transpac 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Had a price for re gal in Australia a few days ago.
0.50c/kg for stripping/cleaning and $1.01/kg for gal.
100m of 10mm will cost $350 to re do.

New, you will looking at upwards of $1000 to $1600 depending on breed.
Hey Catman,

Mind sharing who that company is? Seems pretty reasonable actually. I have about 120m to do as well.

Thanks,

Bloke
Old 21-11-2011, 03:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Hey Catman,

Mind sharing who that company is? Seems pretty reasonable actually. I have about 120m to do as well.

Thanks,

Bloke
National Galvanising Industries
479 Freeman Road
Richlands QLD 4077

Phone: 07 3375 4200
Fax: 07 3375 7630
Old 21-11-2011, 04:59   #11

Do nothing. Rust/slag slows corrosion. Inspect for weaknesses and wash with fresh water and spray with McLube. As mentioned the locker should drain.
McLube : Moly Dry Film Lubricant

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 05:45   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Do you end for end your chain on a regular basis?.............
This can be a good practive, but I use another procedure. As my chain corrosion is always greater an the end nearest the anchor, I discard fifty feet of this end at times and add fifty feet of new chain at the opposite end. Of course, this requires linkage. I'm able to use a pair of the Crosby shackles of my link size and they flow over my chain gypsy with just a slight stutter. I know this would not work with many of the electric windlasses, mine is manual, but there are links that can match a gypsy.
Old 21-11-2011, 06:57   #13

Boat: contessa 32

One can go with a chain/rope rode whereby the stored chain will be setting on top of the rope and keeping it out of any water in the locker. I keep enough chain for 3 to 5 to 1 scope and this is all that is needed for most conditions . If things blow up then its time to veer some line (now I don't need a snubber). OK, now if something really awful is coming my way ,I have a couple of 50 to 100 ft lengths stored in the bilges with shackles that can be easily added to the existing chain already holding on the bottom so that I can be all chain with lotsa scope without having to haul up an anchor that I now know is already dug in.
The nylon line keeps chain out of any water while in the locker and much of the weight of the chain is low where it helps stability rather than in a forward locker where it detracts. This system allows the chain sections below to be used as moveable ballast to trim out your boat to sit on her lines no matter what else you have recently added for your next cruise. Just be sure to keep any chain stored below to a manageable weight so it is relatively easy to wrestle it topside in the difficult conditions that might mandate it's deployment. Hope this helps.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
One can go with a chain/rope rode whereby the stored chain will be setting on top of the rope and keeping it out of any water in the locker. I keep enough chain for 3 to 5 to 1 scope and this is all that is needed for most conditions . If things blow up then its time to veer some line (now I don't need a snubber). OK, now if something really awful is coming my way ,I have a couple of 50 to 100 ft lengths stored in the bilges with shackles that can be easily added to the existing chain already holding on the bottom so that I can be all chain with lotsa scope without having to haul up an anchor that I now know is already dug in.
The nylon line keeps chain out of any water while in the locker and much of the weight of the chain is low where it helps stability rather than in a forward locker where it detracts. This system allows the chain sections below to be used as moveable ballast to trim out your boat to sit on her lines no matter what else you have recently added for your next cruise. Just be sure to keep any chain stored below to a manageable weight so it is relatively easy to wrestle it topside in the difficult conditions that might mandate it's deployment. Hope this helps.
Yup once I get the rotten locker situation sorted out this is going to be my plan.
Old 21-11-2011, 11:53   #15

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

had my chain/anchor regalvanized in guatemala 6 yrs ago for $1.50/lb. (which incl. delivery/pickup from the rio dulce) and it still looks great...so, if you're in the area, check it out...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, rode