Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2011, 14:01   #1
Registered User
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,477
Images: 24
Best Chain Rode Maintenance

I have 200 ft of chain rode on my boat and it is starting to look a little funky. It is showing lots of dirt and some rust in places. What is the best/neatest way to clean up rode? I could spray some kind of oil onto it but I can just see that becoming a total pig sty.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 14:11   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, Wash.
Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Posts: 1,810
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

A sad truth is that when you put chain in the water, over time it will rust. The only solution I know of is to re-galvavize the chain before the metal starts to flake off. Once the flaking process starts you must consider replacement.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 17:01   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gloucester, MA
Boat: CS 36t
Posts: 387
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Do you end for end your chain on a regular basis? If you don't this can help get even wear/corrosion throughout. Otherwise, the only other option is to regalvanize or replace, both of which are expensive.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 18:08   #4
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Does your anchor locker drain?
I have seen some where the drain hole is a few inches off the bottom and only on one side meaning that the bottom part of the chain is sitting in water most of the time.
Ensure drain holes are at the lowest point or build a false floor (I have done both in my lockers
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising – It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 18:12   #5
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Otherwise, the only other option is to regalvanize or replace, both of which are expensive.
Had a price for re gal in Australia a few days ago.
0.50c/kg for stripping/cleaning and $1.01/kg for gal.
100m of 10mm will cost $350 to re do.

New, you will looking at upwards of $1000 to $1600 depending on breed.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising – It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 21:05   #6
Registered User
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,477
Images: 24
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Does your anchor locker drain?
I have seen some where the drain hole is a few inches off the bottom and only on one side meaning that the bottom part of the chain is sitting in water most of the time.
Ensure drain holes are at the lowest point or build a false floor (I have done both in my lockers
As a matter of fact going to have to repair the bulkhead adjacent to the anchor locker for just this reason. The drain at the "bottom" of the anchor locker is not at the bottom at all. It is about 3 inches higher. As a result the locker has about that much standing water in it at all times and the bulkhead -and apparently the chain - are rotting because of it. Should I build a false floor or drill a new hole? Bad design or what? Sheesh!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 00:44   #7
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,205
Images: 52
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Should I build a false floor or drill a new hole?

Both.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 03:27   #8
Registered User
 
stevensuf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Algarve, Portugal
Boat: Gib sea 43
Posts: 1,009
Images: 10
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

I have the same problem, looked into shot blasting/regalvanizing, but the price locally is astronomical, it was much cheaper just to buy new chain.
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 03:55   #9
Registered User
 
TassieBloke's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne AUS
Boat: Transpac 49
Posts: 179
Images: 3
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Had a price for re gal in Australia a few days ago.
0.50c/kg for stripping/cleaning and $1.01/kg for gal.
100m of 10mm will cost $350 to re do.

New, you will looking at upwards of $1000 to $1600 depending on breed.
Hey Catman,

Mind sharing who that company is? Seems pretty reasonable actually. I have about 120m to do as well.

Thanks,

Bloke
__________________
Just remember, Engineers built the Titanic, and Noah built the Ark
TassieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 04:39   #10
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Hey Catman,

Mind sharing who that company is? Seems pretty reasonable actually. I have about 120m to do as well.

Thanks,

Bloke
National Galvanising Industries
479 Freeman Road
Richlands QLD 4077

Phone: 07 3375 4200
Fax: 07 3375 7630
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising – It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 05:59   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 774
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Do nothing. Rust/slag slows corrosion. Inspect for weaknesses and wash with fresh water and spray with McLube. As mentioned the locker should drain.
McLube : Moly Dry Film Lubricant
__________________

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 06:45   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 8,246
Images: 1
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Do you end for end your chain on a regular basis?.............
This can be a good practive, but I use another procedure. As my chain corrosion is always greater an the end nearest the anchor, I discard fifty feet of this end at times and add fifty feet of new chain at the opposite end. Of course, this requires linkage. I'm able to use a pair of the Crosby shackles of my link size and they flow over my chain gypsy with just a slight stutter. I know this would not work with many of the electric windlasses, mine is manual, but there are links that can match a gypsy.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 07:57   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hudson Valley N.Y.
Boat: contessa 32
Posts: 826
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

One can go with a chain/rope rode whereby the stored chain will be setting on top of the rope and keeping it out of any water in the locker. I keep enough chain for 3 to 5 to 1 scope and this is all that is needed for most conditions . If things blow up then its time to veer some line (now I don't need a snubber). OK, now if something really awful is coming my way ,I have a couple of 50 to 100 ft lengths stored in the bilges with shackles that can be easily added to the existing chain already holding on the bottom so that I can be all chain with lotsa scope without having to haul up an anchor that I now know is already dug in.
The nylon line keeps chain out of any water while in the locker and much of the weight of the chain is low where it helps stability rather than in a forward locker where it detracts. This system allows the chain sections below to be used as moveable ballast to trim out your boat to sit on her lines no matter what else you have recently added for your next cruise. Just be sure to keep any chain stored below to a manageable weight so it is relatively easy to wrestle it topside in the difficult conditions that might mandate it's deployment. Hope this helps.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:25   #14
Registered User
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,477
Images: 24
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
One can go with a chain/rope rode whereby the stored chain will be setting on top of the rope and keeping it out of any water in the locker. I keep enough chain for 3 to 5 to 1 scope and this is all that is needed for most conditions . If things blow up then its time to veer some line (now I don't need a snubber). OK, now if something really awful is coming my way ,I have a couple of 50 to 100 ft lengths stored in the bilges with shackles that can be easily added to the existing chain already holding on the bottom so that I can be all chain with lotsa scope without having to haul up an anchor that I now know is already dug in.
The nylon line keeps chain out of any water while in the locker and much of the weight of the chain is low where it helps stability rather than in a forward locker where it detracts. This system allows the chain sections below to be used as moveable ballast to trim out your boat to sit on her lines no matter what else you have recently added for your next cruise. Just be sure to keep any chain stored below to a manageable weight so it is relatively easy to wrestle it topside in the difficult conditions that might mandate it's deployment. Hope this helps.
Yup once I get the rotten locker situation sorted out this is going to be my plan.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:53   #15
Registered User
 
defever's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Posts: 192
Re: Best Chain Rode Maintenance

had my chain/anchor regalvanized in guatemala 6 yrs ago for $1.50/lb. (which incl. delivery/pickup from the rio dulce) and it still looks great...so, if you're in the area, check it out...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
maintenance, rode

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robinson Offshore Storm Chute Janice Seamanship & Boat Handling 10 31-10-2012 06:47
Getting Chain into the Bilge JonathanSail Anchoring & Mooring 32 15-01-2012 17:22
Securing Bitter End with Windlass janice142 Anchoring & Mooring 23 15-09-2011 16:12
Galvanic Corrosion of Chain Galvanizing wsmurdoch Anchoring & Mooring 0 22-08-2011 11:17
Need to Replace or Repair Chain and Rode Luken7 General Sailing Forum 3 15-08-2011 20:01

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.