Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 10:38   #76

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Best Anchor Watch/Alert/Alarms apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post
Chris many thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated. I finally got around to adding support for using the phone/tablet internal GPS receiver in the Anchor Watch instrument in SmartBoat (search for smartboat on Google Play). Sorry it took me so long but many other things got in the way.

One of the features of SmartBoat is that if you wish you can sync the data stream to the Smart Boat Network website from one instance of SmartBoat and sync FROM the website with another instance so you can monitor the boat at anchor remotely. The data syncing is optional so if you don't enable it then no data is sent to the website.

As before feedback and feature requests greatly appreciated.

regards
damian
Now thatís quite interesting!
That might be up my alley!

Quick question, do you keep logs on this data, ie position, time, IP address, user names, boat names, etc?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 00:43   #77

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Now thatís quite interesting!
That might be up my alley!

Quick question, do you keep logs on this data, ie position, time, IP address, user names, boat names, etc?
Absolutely not and there are many reasons why I don't do that. The synced data uploaded by an instance of SmartBoat to the website is immediately sent to a connected listener if there is one (e.g. another SmartBoat instance or the same user account viewing the boat data in a page on the website) and then discarded.

Some of the reasons I wouldn't store logs of this data are;

1) There is no value to me in that data. What would I do with it ?
2) I would have to consume resources to store the data that has no value.
3) If I stored the data and then the site was hacked and the data stolen that would be a very damaging embarrassment - so I would have to take extraordinary (and expensive) steps to ensure that couldn't happen, negating any possible material advantage of keeping the data - which I don't think exists anyway.
4) I am personally against the widespread data collection we are prone to - I am experimenting with /e/ OS on a mobile phone (https://e.foundation/) in order to eventually move away from big tech collecting so much data about us.

There is an argument to say that I could, at some time in the future, provide a service on the website to view a boat's location and track for various purposes, e.g. race or safety analysis or keeping your relatives aware of your location, which may require medium to long term storage of a boat's location which would include the time at that location. I would only implement this service if it was requested by users and then it would be explicitly enabled by anyone that wanted to use it.

Now please try SmartBoat Anchor watch and let me know what problems you encounter so I can make it better

regards
damain
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:27   #78

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Absolutely not and there are many reasons why I don't do that. The synced data uploaded by an instance of SmartBoat to the website is immediately sent to a connected listener if there is one (e.g. another SmartBoat instance or the same user account viewing the boat data in a page on the website) and then discarded.

Some of the reasons I wouldn't store logs of this data are;

1) There is no value to me in that data. What would I do with it ?
2) I would have to consume resources to store the data that has no value.
3) If I stored the data and then the site was hacked and the data stolen that would be a very damaging embarrassment - so I would have to take extraordinary (and expensive) steps to ensure that couldn't happen, negating any possible material advantage of keeping the data - which I don't think exists anyway.
4) I am personally against the widespread data collection we are prone to - I am experimenting with /e/ OS on a mobile phone (https://e.foundation/) in order to eventually move away from big tech collecting so much data about us.

There is an argument to say that I could, at some time in the future, provide a service on the website to view a boat's location and track for various purposes, e.g. race or safety analysis or keeping your relatives aware of your location, which may require medium to long term storage of a boat's location which would include the time at that location. I would only implement this service if it was requested by users and then it would be explicitly enabled by anyone that wanted to use it.

Now please try SmartBoat Anchor watch and let me know what problems you encounter so I can make it better

regards
damain
Good stuff, Iíll check out your app, might need another data plan or maybe a used phone off Craigslist just for this.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:24   #79

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

I've tried many of them, and many of them are bad to unusable. The best one I've found for use on the boat is AnchorWatch. It's been the most reliable. I'm trying Anchor Pro (the "Lite" version is referenced above) now because it has the ability to message me (through a messaging app called Telegraph) and/or email me when an alarm occurs due to dragging, loss of power on the shipboard device (which, in my case is an iPad, but I also have it on my android phone as a back-up - another benefit of this app) or loss of GPS signal. So far so good.
just where I want, That's all I want
La Vie Dansante
La Vie Dansante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:48   #80

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

UPDATE:
We had used Safe Anchor (www.safeanchor.net) previously, when we had Apple phones, but couldn't use it when we switched to Google Fi phones. My wife started using an iPhone again, so we tried it again. I forgot how great this setup is. We load it on an iPad, that stays on the boat and on her iPhone, which we take with us. We set the iPad up in "server" mode and the iPhone up in client mode, and the iPhone repeats the anchor map and status in REAL TIME, as long as both devices are connected to the internet. This is such a great feature, because it gives us a warm fuzzy throughout our land adventures, rather than just waiting for the crisis of an alert or alarm, like we get with other apps. This will be our primary anchoring app from now on, but I'll also use Anchor Watch on my Google Fi phone as a backup while we're onboard, remembering to disarm it when we get in the dinghy!
just where I want, That's all I want
La Vie Dansante
La Vie Dansante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 04:29   #81
Marine Service Provider

Hello,

We would like you to try our newly developed Anchor Alarm app for iOS and Android. The app itself is free and without ads, available to download from the App Store and Play Store. We've made it as simple as possible to setup your anchor alarm.

Just set the radius and click on Start to start the anchor alarm. As soon as your ship leaves the radius, your device alerts you with an unmistakable alarm tone. In addition, you can move the monitored are and correct it to the nearest meter. The location history of the boat is recorded and can be seen from the small points.

One special feature our app has is the remote monitoring. It's possible to connect multiple devices to one device that stays on the boat. Then you'll see the position of the sender device in real time and receive notifications and alarms from it.

Another useful feature is our anchorage search. Search for anchorages in your area where other crews have anchored before. You can try this feature for free for 3 days.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Daniel
wh Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 05:53   #82

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

What is your new app's name? How to recognize it in the app store?

-Chris
Old 21-01-2020, 06:37   #83
Marine Service Provider

Hello ranger42c,

our app is simply called "Anchor Alarm / Watch".
It's the one with the red app icon with the text "ALARM" below the anchor icon.
Maybe you can click on the App/Play Store links in my previous post.

Best regards,
Daniel
wh Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 07:24   #84

Boat: Catalina 34

We use Anchor!, and sleep better
dfloeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 11:04   #85

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
If you have a device on board that emits an NMEA 0183 or SignalK data stream (that includes your ships GPS receiver) over wifi then please try out the Anchor Watch function of my SmartBoat app for Android. The disadvantage of using the ships GPS is that you need to leave some electronics on. The advantage is accurate GPS when the tablet is beside you in your bunk. I think a future update will promote the Anchor Alarm to a top level function and allow the use of the tablet/phone internal GPS receiver but for now it only works with an NMEA 0183 or SignalK data stream.

I have had zero feedback from any user so I have no idea if it is fit for purpose (my boat is on the hard for the last couple of years so I have been unable to test it while anchoring). Without feedback I cannot fix any problems. It is a free app so no payment required.

I am quite certain the alarm will go off as soon as the GPS position goes outside of the guard circle. You can set the rode length, guard circle, fairlead height and GPS to fairlead offset. There is also a setting for catenary adjustment (which may or may not be useful) that is used in conjunction with the current depth and the rode length, fairlead height and fairlead offset to calculate the anchor position after it has set. It would be great to know how accurate this calculation is, as would ANY feedback about the app as a whole and the Anchor Watch function in particular. Come on guys (and gals) it is a free app - help me make it better!

Thanks for this! My AIS has Wifi output but the supplied Android app has no anchor watch function and I'm sure the app will not be improved. I had all kinds of trouble with false GPS positions from my phone's GPS so I"m looking forward to trying your app as soon as I can get back to my boat in November.
Old 18-08-2021, 07:17   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Saw this thread too late.

I have recently made a feature survey of some 50 different anchor alarm apps for iOS and Android. This table lists features like track history, more fancy security perimeters than a simple circle, alarms when battery starts to run low, or GPS signal gets lost, etc. Some free AA have more features than some paid ones, it turns out. Also, an AA that is super on Android may not be as good on iOS and vice versa.

Feedback of course welcome.

https://trimaran-san.de/anchor-alarm-apps-overview/
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor