Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37   #61

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Use a mushroom for wrecks

HTML Code:
FYI - I looking to get one strictly for hooking into wrecks for diving.
Grunzster,
We found that a small 5 or 10 lb mushroom anchor is way more effective than a grapnel for diving on our 35' Bertram. We use 3/4" nylon and 12' of chain on the mushroom (the chain for chaff on the wreck). The mushroom snags into the wreck just about as good and it can be released from the wreckage much easier. We got tired of trying to get the grapnel out of the wrecks. The heavy nylon is for ~ 2:1 scope when diving.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14   #62
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
HTML Code:
FYI - I looking to get one strictly for hooking into wrecks for diving.
Grunzster,
We found that a small 5 or 10 lb mushroom anchor is way more effective than a grapnel for diving on our 35' Bertram. We use 3/4" nylon and 12' of chain on the mushroom (the chain for chaff on the wreck). The mushroom snags into the wreck just about as good and it can be released from the wreckage much easier. We got tired of trying to get the grapnel out of the wrecks. The heavy nylon is for ~ 2:1 scope when diving.
Oops! I meant to start a new thread.

The mushroom may work.

Were you trying to release the grapnel from the surface, though?

Around here, they usually have a second piece of short chain on the anchor. First one in wraps that around part of the wreck and then around the anchor, sometimes there's a clasp or small piece of line to tie it to the anchor. That way there's no way it's releasing.

Then the last one out...or the fist mate sometimes dives back in, and unwraps that chain. Give it some slack from the surface, and the diver releases it and stays with it until it's clear of the wreck and far enough off the bottom that it won't set again. Then the anchor is either retrieved very slowly, or you drift while letting the anchor hang, and retrieve it after the diver surfaces.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25   #63

Boat: Privilege 37
Hooking into wrecks for diving. That would get you shot in some places.

We used a concrete sinker. on the last dive of the day, the last man up attached a lift bag and a quick blast of air got the shot line up at the same rate as the diver.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39   #64
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Hooking into wrecks for diving. That would get you shot in some places.

We used a concrete sinker. on the last dive of the day, the last man up attached a lift bag and a quick blast of air got the shot line up at the same rate as the diver.
Nice! I never heard of that one before.

Obviously I'm not hooking into military wrecks in foreign countries, wrecks with permanent moorings, or just anything in another country without knowing the regulations first. Up here in the NE US hooking in is common practice, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:45   #65

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Up here in the NE US hooking in is common practice, though.
I prefer to leave a wreck as I find it so that I dont leave any trace of my presence. Thus it should not deteriorate any faster than the normal course of rust/waves.

I get really bent out of shape about the guys who dive with wrecking bars looking for trophies.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:08   #66
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I prefer to leave a wreck as I find it so that I dont leave any trace of my presence. Thus it should not deteriorate any faster than the normal course of rust/waves.

I get really bent out of shape about the guys who dive with wrecking bars looking for trophies.
I'm not big on completely stripping wrecks either. I don't even own a hammer or a bar and the only artifact I've ever taken, was an old bottle in a river buried under the silt.

But most of the wrecks around here are old enough, and already been scavenged for years, that I don't really see the issue with a diver taking something as long as they don't go overboard.

There are also some deeper and old wrecks that are quickly deteriorating. By divers taking artifacts from those wrecks it allows people to actually see them, because eventually they will become to dangerous to dive, and at some point will collapse into just a pile of rubble that you'd have to dig through to even see anything interesting.
Old 02-03-2009, 15:56   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Storm anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I would be very in terested in seeing a test between the raya and the FISHERMAN,CQR,BRUCE and the nex gen anchors...he he he
LOL I agree
But seriously I like the look of the raya, I dont know how well it would stowe in my bilge it still looks a lot wider than the Luke, the stowage in my long keeled yacht allows the stowage of heavy long and narrow parts 6" max. I would like to see a raya in the flesh and an independant test would really interest me.

Tags
anchor