Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 11:57   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
noel
rub it in, some of us are not so luckily situated at the moment!

Still interested in that rust...
What is that white thing on the base of the shank? Looks like laminate
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I tried unsuccessfully to argue with the owner last night (new years eve) that he had not charged me for a round of drinks.
Incidentally the combined total bill for my wife and I was 8 euros (about $12 USD) for all our drinks chicken, pastry nibbles. I would like to think we didn't drink much, but it was new years eve, we were there for 6 hours and home was a dingy ride away.
Entertainment was free from other cruisers including one who could juggle 7 balls and tap dance at the same time, even after the consuming the local wine.
Sounds like a real good value. If I could just convince the family to throw in the towel I'd head there as soon as the conditions were right.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 01-01-2009, 12:19   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
noel
rub it in, some of us are not so luckily situated at the moment!

Still interested in that rust...
What is that white thing on the base of the shank? Looks like laminate
That would be the Original Manufactures label sticker...evidently better quality then the galvanizing... on this particular one anyway...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 11-01-2009, 17:54   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Perhaps we should cover them in stickers rather than in galvanising??

Yes this anchor definitely does seem to be very "red". Judging by the chain colour it would possibly indicate a galvanic issue as galvanised anchors get this with boats that have earth leakage problems or insufficient zinc protection. Also there are mud areas that turn anchors black, white and red...in Korea there is an area that turns stainless steel black (not sure why, perhaps sulphur levels??). From more than 20,000 anchors manufactured last year we have had 3 customers contact us and they are 'chips' in the galvanising from transit damage.

The bent nose is a simple case of extracting a "stuck" anchor with excessive force. Its not quite a case of the unstopable force meeting the immovable object but we know the loads involved and it is well beyond what is expected of them.

We are now the only anchor to be made in New Zealand and made to certified standards. Our competitors are now made in China and Gmac can offer some intereting Rina test results with regard to broken anchors and seabed testing...its well worth a look from our point of view

As always, we're keen to hear your stories - good and bad - on our products. We know they wont always be perfect but its often the not-so-gratifying comments that help us stay at the pointy end of our game.

Manson Anchors
Old 11-01-2009, 18:04   #20

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Manson Anchors,

THanks for 8 months of sound sleep. Your (Manson Supreme) anchor held us well EVERY time we used it, even through Hurricane Noel. We never drug ONCE in 8 months of cruising, and nearly 3 years of use.

Thanks for making a great product!
Old 11-01-2009, 18:12   #21

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We purchased a 65 lb supreme prior to leaving CT for the ICW this past November. Our boat weighs close to 30K lbs and we have now anchored in at least 5 seperate gale force wind storms. Our anchor has held every time, in LI Sound, bays along the Jersey coast and in the Chesapeake.... Thank you Manson Supreme.
Old 12-01-2009, 14:43   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson Anchors View Post
We are now the only anchor to be made in New Zealand and made to certified standards. Our competitors are now made in China
Manson Anchors
One of your competitors, Rocna and their NA partner Suncoast Marine, state they are manufactured in North America. It's at the bottom of the front page of the Suncoast webpage http://suncoastmarine.ca/
Old 12-01-2009, 19:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
One of your competitors, Rocna and their NA partner Suncoast Marine, state they are manufactured in North America. It's at the bottom of the front page of the Suncoast webpage http://suncoastmarine.ca/
But that is only the North American manufacturer. I think Manson is suggesting that the worldwide manufacturing of Rocna is in China. I have no clue how true that is.
Old 12-01-2009, 19:08   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Why..

Despite one bent anchor, probably by getting it stuck in some coral or rocks, the Manson is still a great anchor. I own both a Manson Supreme and a Rocna and they both perform exceptionally well..

Watch the video below and then ask yourself if your anchor would do as well as this Manson Supreme did..

Manson Supreme In Nasty Winds
Old 12-01-2009, 19:53   #25
Marine Service Provider

Maine
Both are good anchors, great anchors. But if manufactured in china, I'd have doubts on the quality of the metal, the welding, the galvanizing.
Sounds like the Canadian & US sold versions are made in Canada but others in china?
Old 12-01-2009, 19:55   #26

But it's not the Manson thats in question for being built in China. It's Rocna thats in question.
Old 12-01-2009, 22:20   #27
Marine Service Provider

Hi all. Just back from a few weeks away and it was glorious if not a bit hot at times. My anchor worked sweet, Thanks for asking

ALL anchors can bend and anyone who says theirs won't is deluding themselves or has one the size that could be called a 'mooring weight'.

I have seen bent anchors of ALL designs and that includes Rocna and Spade. If getting picky I haven't seen a 'bent' Bruce knock-offs but have seen way too many just 'snapped' or shattered.

The one in the photos looks to have been hooked into something and been given to much curry (I'd say it had to be a hell of a lot actually and are wondering what the rest of the system is now like) in the retrieval. If it was on a charter boat that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Charter boats are like company cars, they can do anything anytime with out worry for the simple reason that the owner is not the user. We replace gear on charter boats far more often than a privately used boat.

What happened to that anchor in question we don't really know so it is a bit hard to make a judgement I'd say. I will say we have given Supremes loads far in excess of what 99.9% of them would ever see in their lifetime on boats and none of them gave us any reason to see any structural weakness of any sort. We regard the Supreme as the strongest of all the new gen anchors and by a nice margin.

For all the pontificating by some about the laminated foot, again we have yet to see any evidence this is an issue. Yes, I have seen the photos on another site but as that site does have serious issues with the Supreme I don't regard them as anything worth considering. Supremes are made in NZ.

Rocnas are made in China now. This is only a recent change i.e the last few months. I don't know if the ones out of Suncoast Marine are but I'd think it would seem strange to make some there and some elsewhere. Anchors is a volume game so why split manufacturing would be my thought. Maybe Suncoasts are still made there but I doubt for much longer, it just seems to defy economic logic to do so.

You'll also notice that they now have a cast foot rather than a press braked plate steel. The Rocna website and info has yet to be updated about all of this. I do have issues about the covert way the implication is that they are NZ made but that's just marketing I suppose. By the way that is not a Rocna only thing and applies to more than one anchor outfit.

Whether the change in location of manufacture will have any baring on strength/ quality/ performance or whatever remains to be seen. I see they are using an alloy rich (as opposed to zinc rich) galvanising which seems to be going against the trend by the Western world (Gezz.. I hate that phrase) but it does make them look flash on the shelf.

Re the galvanising on that Supreme - The shanks are made of a lot higher grade steel than the foot and as the higher the grade the harder it is to galvanise. That explains the difference in the look both when new and after some use. As a matter of interest the pre-china versions of the Rocna use the same stuff (I just don't know what is used now or even if it is different but I think it is) and if you take a look at those you'll see the shanks appear to be different from the foot. This is just the higher against the lower grade steels. Nothing to be concerned about and just a 'nature of the beast' sort of thing.

This high grade steel being hard to galvanise issue is the reason I'm not a fan of using anchor chains in grades above G40 or sometimes called 'HT' (high test) by the US viewers.

Also certain seabeds can do strange things. Locally we have a few spots that if you anchor in a lot all your chain and anchors appears to go rusty almost overnite. It isn't but something in the seabed certianly makes it look that way. Anchor in coral for a couple of months and that will rip most of the galvanising clean off. Again, nothing to be concerned about from a manufacturing angle.

One bent anchor an issue does NOT make so if you have a Supreme I'd say you made a great choice and carry on as usual.

Maine Sail - I wouldn't have liked to have been your undies when you took that video. A surprisingly steady hand on the camera I though, nice work and damn pleased you were around to post it afterwards
Old 12-01-2009, 22:34   #28

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Hi all. Just back from a few weeks away.....

....Rocnas are made in China now. This is only a recent change i.e the last few months. I don't know if the ones out of Suncoast Marine are but I'd think it would seem strange to make some there and some elsewhere. Anchors is a volume game so why split manufacturing would be my thought. Maybe Suncoasts are still made there but I doubt for much longer, it just seems to defy economic logic to do so.
Wow! Chinese built Rocna's huh? I wonder if they are planning to adjust their price point to reflect that change?

(I wonder if they will have that little gold sticker that says made in China?)
Old 13-01-2009, 03:41   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by betodas View Post
But it's not the Manson thats in question for being built in China. It's Rocna thats in question.
yes, you are right. Re-reading, I see my point was poorly worded.
Old 13-01-2009, 04:52   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

Maine Sail - I wouldn't have liked to have been your undies when you took that video. A surprisingly steady hand on the camera I though, nice work and damn pleased you were around to post it afterwards

Though I have anchored in 70 knots before that was not my video and I only linked to it..