Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2011, 13:42   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: BC Moorage / Anchorage

I Googled some recent photos of Minstrell Island, Jackdale... brought back some great memories. You're right, it has deteriorated and is for sale, I believe. Used to date the owners daughter back in the late 50'/early 60's when we tied up our seine boat over weekend closings. Yes, it is remote but some of us old timers like it that way... cities scare me! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 19:19   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I like the country and the fresh air. In this case the salt air. I am currently hunting for a Marina to stay at for a few months. I have to live in close proximity to shopping since I am going to be outfitting to go cruising. I agree, cities are where trouble lives, and they're also money pits. Late next spring, I will be going up the inland passage, I will check it out.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 22:23   #18

Boat: Hanse 401 LOA 39.3" Spica
Send a message via ICQ to Spica

If Vancover island and surrounding area is OK for you, try Cowichan Bay, Genoa Bay or Thetis Isl
Spica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 10:37   #19

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

gpshephe... try and look a little afield, away rom the city. You can always make excursions into the big smoke to find things you need but stay in God's country until you need to add the trinkets to your inventory. There are some unbelievable untouched small abandoned communities upcoast that would suit liveaboards, I'm sure. No need for power, we used used old boilers in abandonded fish canneries, fill them with fresh stream water and heat them up with scrap cedar for a hot tub/bath/clothes washing,etc. Never missed a radio or tv, life was simple as were we... truly miss those days but live pretty inimalist now so getting back to it... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:32   #20

Boat: Chrisler Intrepid

Would it be possible to buy a former fishing vessel (thrawler), anchor it solidly in a bay (any bay) and anchor my boat to it?

The idea is to refit the vessel to have an immense kitchen, hot water on demand showers, and a spacious living room. And a terrace on the huge deck, B-B-Q's and such... So you can live aboard your smaller vessel without bothering with holding tanks, power, fresh water, the bigger vessel could supply everything. And just dinghy your way to work everyday.

You could have 6-8 (?) boats attatched to it with decks all around, a floating marina. With decent battery bank, solar+wind generator, we could call the old boat "The marina" or "The reef" and legally live on the water with all amenities. (And no taxes, since... Well, we are NOT touching land)

I've seen 60' retired fishing vessels for sale for less than 100K. Divided by 10-12 sailors (5-6 ships with 2 sailors each)... It would be a ton of work, and an investment, but It's possible...

I'd like to hear your thoughts...

M.
BlueChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 14:38   #21

Shelter Bay in Richmond likely has space.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 15:08   #22

indeed they do, thanks, much appreciated.
Old 05-05-2012, 21:34   #23

Boat: Alberg 30

2 large liveaboards

Snowbird IV 44/54 is for sale. Follow link for more info( wix DOTcom/snowbirdiv/snowbirdiv ) .( wix DOT com/wayfindercbaron/boat ). We have a concrete barge that measures 20x50x5 and has the wheel house from the 'Nor Queen' on it and docks, anchors are HUGE for $10k. Can moor several smaller vessels as well. Ganges view extraordinaire. Boat 52k,with moorings, barge and docks 60k. We also have a 56/ 63 overall motor sailor Wayfinder 37k with moorings $45000. lots more info will be posted in upcoming weeks. Phone calls only. Lorne 250-537-7605 Any interesting trades will be considered. These vessels are blue book registered.

I'd be interested in the barge, could make a great base with docks
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 23:17   #24

[QUOTE I'd be interested in the barge, could make a great base with docks[/QUOTE]

Exactly, good to know i'm not the only one thinking about it... (barge+mooring)
10K isn't much when you have 4-6 people splitting the bill.

__________________________________________________ ____________
When you can't afford an island, make one.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07   #25

Considering I just spent 7500$ for one year to moor my alberg 30? food for thought... I know at least one other boat who'd be interested and I'd trust. With the right people involved it could be very interesting. A barge has good potential for power generation too.
Old 06-05-2012, 14:31   #26

So... Just for the sake of talking about it... 50X20=1000ft/2 (thousand square feet) Bigger than most appartments. (My house is 840ft/2), I have a huge kitchen, huge living-room, 2 bedroons (quite big).
Building walls, and putting a roof is more labour than actual material. The investment is minimal, compared to a boat that has or needs all the amenities. If you can have showers for every boat attatched to it (say 4-5 on the width of 20 feet at one end) with a "changing room" with some lockers, sinks mirrors.
An oversized kitchen, say 2-3 full size stoves, and a HUGE living room (or 2?) with TV's, couches, coffee tables.
This is exciting to talk about! I even made a sketch on a pizza box!

Jeez, I could see this becomming a trend if it works well.
Let's keep talking!
Old 06-05-2012, 17:56   #27

It better not be a trend! It'll go the way of being allowed to moor in False Creek.
Smaller is better. Less boats is better. Fewer people generally means less conflict, less attention drawn etc.
Also better in storm conditions IMO. Think about expense, and the things that are hardest/most expensive to have on a boat alone.

3-4 showers(make it easily upgradedable), 1 large kitchen with two stoves max, one living room. Even that I'm very cautious of, the required specifications are a totally different ballgame.

One of the benefits of community IS community. Each boat has their own galley/head anyways, communal spaces are great. I'd try to focus on things that are impractical onboard: Maybe a woodstove or fireplace in a living room, with a nice TV and couches etc.
No sense duplicating onboard facilities, and it opens you up to liability and a bunch of other issues.

Things like change room, clothes washing/drying facilities, storage, power generation, wastewater collection, freshwater production/distribution are the things I'd want most, and the hardest on an individual boat. The primary goal still though would simply be to have stable docking, rather than the worries of living at anchor IMO. I still want to live on a boat, not just a floating house
The Co-op is an interesting place to look for ideas...
I would think a work boat would also be essential, that way the costs can be divided more equitably. For hauling wastewater, getting firewood etc. There are lots of jobs that are easier communally.
Power generation and storage is definitely one of them. A single honda 2000 for example is almost wasted on one boat most of the time, but the running costs divided by 4...
Old 06-05-2012, 19:11   #28

Agreed, no one would live on it, just have the "basics" anchored solidly. Some comfort would be nice. At no point in time this would be a "floating house". Just a solid place to anchor your boat to. (Oh, and did I mention no fees besides running costs and initial investment)
Old 06-05-2012, 20:02   #29

Exactly Some of those comforts that are hard to come by on a boat.(power generation, laundry, wood fires are the big ones for me) Plus so many of the things we use these days we don't really need one of each, sharing them really cuts the cost! For example the street I grew up on, 5 houses shared a really nice power washer, it was cheaper than renting, and cheaper than owning, since it was run more regularly and better maintained.

Tags
anchor