Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 14:15   #1

Avoiding sails snagging on the anchor

My boat is a Jeanneau 349. She has a short bowsprit (a couple of feet), with the anchor roller on the side of the forestay.
I am contemplating switching to one of the new generation anchors (lije a Rocna or similar) and I would like to know what people do to avoid sails to snag on the anchor.
Specifically, we fly the asymmetric from the bowsprit. Since the anchor sits on the roller, next to the forestay, it is ideally position to snag the snail. The problem is even worse with the new-new generation anchors, which have the roll-bar sitting even higher than a CQR or a Delta and thus offering even more possibilities for the sail to get caught in it.
It is not just an issue of potentially ripping the sail, there is also the possibility that the lazy sheet of the asymmetric wraps around the anchor and causes a mess when it becomes the working sheet on a jibe (the wrap is often hard to spot from the cockpit, before the line gets in tension, then it is too late...). Even the tack line potentially snags on the anchor.

With my current old-generation anchor, my solution is to remove the anchor from the roller before flying any spinnaker and store it in the anchor locker. With a new-generation anchor, this would be either not possible (a rocna would not fit in the anchor locker) or terribly awkward.

How do people solve this problem, which I think would be common to all boats with a short bowsprit?

Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 15:13   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Avoiding sails snagging on the anchor

I've never seen this problem so I had a look at a picture of a sister ship to your boat. It looks like you asymmetrical tack may typically be pretty low and your bowsprit relatively short. Can you fly the tack of your spinnaker higher? On my boat the spinnaker tack is usually 3+ feet above the sprit so well clear above the anchor. Since we are strictly cruisers we dowse and reset rather than jibing so no issue with the lazy sheet. Still, even my Code 0 which rides much lower has never had sail or sheet fowled on the anchor. We have a Rocna and it would seem to me that the roll bar, though it sticks up, probably helps prevent snags as lines and sail edges will ride over it.

Hopefully you will get some other ideas from people with more similar setups.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, sail, sails