Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 11:44   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Auger as an anchor . . . a thought

I wonder how a nice auger could work in sand in about 7 feet of water, if it is attached to the bottom of a 10' 2" PVC pipe, then screwed into the sand to refusal?

The boat would be attached to the actual auger. but the PVC pipe would be left above water for a visual site to the anchor's location. It would also be used to remove the winds from the rode.

I have absolutely no idea how an auger might compare for holding power and would likely add a kedge(right word?), to the rope part the rode to keep the rode more horizontal.

I have an idea it would be either really, really good at holding . . . or really really bad at holding.

BUT . . . I really have no idea....
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:59   #2

Re: Auger as an anchor . . . a thought

Some moorings are built that look like an auger. I dont know how you would get it in... but would probably be great. BTW, I have a brand new mooring lighted bouy setup...new in the box. It's old but unused. I'd probably sell reasonalbly cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 12:51   #3

Boat: Santana2023

They have them already. Helical mooring systems. I have installed several as the diver. Basically it is driven into the sea bed with a hydraulic auger system. I wouldnt run the risk of having a scuba diver wrench it in as they are only rated when set properly.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 13:06   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I have used helical tie downs for land based systems. From the research I have done, you need to get them at least 3' into the soil and preferrably 4-5'. A 6" dia auger 4' in heavy soil can take 1000 lbs of uplift force.

Refusal is in the eye of the beholder. I twisted one off with about 300 ft lbs applied (guess based on lever arm and arm force) to a 5/8" shank as I encountered hard sand pack. I doubt if a 2" PVC pipe will handle that kind of torque.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 13:18   #5

The idea has been around a long time. I started using them in the mid 90's when I noticed that a lot of moorings in Florida were just trailer tie downs screwed into the mud. I've always carried one or a couple with me. You can pick up the trailer tie downs at any mobile home store for around $10-20. Easy to screw down in sand or mud, usually they have about a 4' shank. When there was clear water and anchored in 10-20' I used to just freedive down and screw mine in. I used it whenever I was going to be somewhere for a couple weeks or more, or was expecting a big blow. I used to put it in about 10 feet back from my anchor and then shackle the anchor chain to the tie-down. We once rode out a hurricane with 110 knot winds in White Sound, Green turtle, Bahamas pulling on that tie down. It bent the shank at a 45 degree angle for the 10 inches that the top was out of the sand, but it held. Only in a few places I couldn't get it in, where there was a thin layer of sand over rock, but then anchors don't hold very well in those places either.

Always been one of my 'cruising secrets', but I guess the cat is out of the bag now.
Attached Images

Old 20-02-2013, 13:35   #6

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I have a Helical mooring systems. It has a 10 inch plate at the bottm of a 8 foot rod. The entire rod is screwed into the sea bed and you attach your chain to an eye. It is a common mooring arrangment here. We did it by diving and putting a 10 ft pole thru the eye. One person holds the rod and the other swims in a circle until it was completly in.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 14:39   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Always been one of my 'cruising secrets', but I guess the cat is out of the bag now.
Scuba instructors have been rigging descent lines with such systems for years.
Old 20-02-2013, 15:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Scuba instructors have been rigging descent lines with such systems for years.
Yea, they've been holding down mobile homes for about 50 years too.
Old 20-02-2013, 15:05   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Yea, they've been holding down mobile homes for about 50 years too.
...with varying success.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

With a mobile home, presumably one can screw the helix in while standing next to it. With a scuba diver, again, one can stand next to it. More or less.

Now change to a boat, typically with a six foot draft and a five foot tidal variation and possibly three to six foot rocks or debris on the bottom in near zero visibility...So you're working fifteen maybe twenty feet above the helix and, of course, you need to prevent the boat from just rotating counter to you.

As a mooring, sure, it sounds good. As an alternative to anchoring? Quicker simpler to toss out an anchor in shallow water. Even with a shoal draft and near-zero tidal rise, what's the big deal about tossing out an anchor if you've only got to haul in a short rode to pull it out again?

I'm just not convinced a one-trick-pony is a good use of space aboard a boat, unless it is a damn good trick.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06   #11

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I'm still very confused about using an auger? The time to screw it in you could have the anchor out and a drink in hand. Then to pull it up?? I have a helex screw for a mooring, don;t want to think about pulling it out. To us even in 10 ft of water I would want to dive and screw it it, generally a 2 person job.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19   #12

Boat: OEM, proportional

Might be a handy thing for shorelines, or an extra string to your bow in storm prep. Great idea, it's going on my list.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It isn't something I'd want to use in the crocodile rich areas of the world. Just consider *who* is going to be in the water with you while you're screwing it in.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35   #14

Boat: OEM, proportional

I'm an Aussie, she'll be right mate. It's the croc that needs to worry....he could end up screwed.
Old 01-03-2013, 13:02   #15

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

You just need a boat that can motor in a circle, no need to get in the water or have two people.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor