Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 16:06   #1

Assuming a Choice for Two Anchors to Be Used in the Bahamas and Keys . . .

Which ones would they be?
This particular sailboat is 27' aand 7500lbs.
nine lufts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:18   #2

Boat: Any time now!
Rocna/Manson Supreme for the main, and fortress for the spare/stern anchor.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:26   #3

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
22lb galvanized Delta and a Fortress FX16 both with 1 boat length of chain and 300ft of 5/8 twisted nylon rode. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:29   #4

In this scenario I was thinking about two anchors from the bow.
Although, I do want to stash a third.

This boat is cheap, I'm cheap, it has one Danforth, but I know I want another for a good set.
Old 04-10-2009, 16:31   #5

Deep sand, thin sand...and grass.
What grabs in grass?
Old 04-10-2009, 16:32   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
1 Manson suprime and buy extra chain.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:33   #7

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Nine lufs, If you are interested in a used Galvanized Delta 22Lb excellent shape
I have one I'll sell.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 16:45   #8

Boat: Any time now!
Yeah if its just from the bow I second this. Go one size larger on a Mason Supreme and get extra chain. No need for a second. Almost every major cruising sailing book I've raid says two anchors from the bow does not really help. If each on their own rode, they tend to 'walk' as the boat swings, and if in line, one anchor does all the work anyways, and can even hurt the holding depending on if the attachment point is good between the closest and furthest anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
1 Manson suprime and buy extra chain.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 17:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Yeah if its just from the bow I second this. Go one size larger on a Mason Supreme and get extra chain. No need for a second. Almost every major cruising sailing book I've raid says two anchors from the bow does not really help. If each on their own rode, they tend to 'walk' as the boat swings, and if in line, one anchor does all the work anyways, and can even hurt the holding depending on if the attachment point is good between the closest and furthest anchor.
The two I'm typing about are for setting where currents change and swinging on one could/would unset the anchor. I'll become more nauticaly term savvy as I go along...and make mistakes
Old 04-10-2009, 17:11   #10

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
In my humble opinion I would go with a size larger than recommended Manson Supreme/Rocna and plenty of chain. I honestly think you will not have a problem with that setup...And you will be able to sleep at night....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 17:14   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I second the notion of a Rocna/Manson primary and Fortress/Guardian secondary. Always pays to have a spare.
Old 04-10-2009, 17:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mike View Post
In my humble opinion I would go with a size larger than recommended Manson Supreme/Rocna and plenty of chain. I honestly think you will not have a problem with that setup...And you will be able to sleep at night....
If the boat swings 180 degrees, the anchor would need to reset, I think...
Old 04-10-2009, 17:43   #13

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Nine Lufts, In the areas your asking about we get 180deg tidal shifts. 2 anchors off the bow, one set one way and another the other way is common practice and we call it Bahamian style. It ensures that you don't have to break loose and reset with each tidal change. The muddy bottoms here in the Keys don't lend well to resetting. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 19:01   #14

Boat: csy 37
i was there two years ago. i started out with a simpson lawrence claw (copy of bruce anchor) and it was terrible, which surprised me because it worked so well on the u.s. east coast. had to switch over to the cqr after some frightening experience with the claw in the bahamas.

used the cqr plow the remainder of the cruise and had no further problems. i did notice that most of the cruising boats had delta anchors and all of the bahamian fishing boats had danforths.

will be going back this year, but i've already replaced the cqr with a manson supreme which is working great here in florida and i've been told works great in the bahamas as well. the cqr is now in the lazarette for a third anchor.

my second anchor is a danforth hi tensile. haven't ever had to use it yet but since i don't trust them in reversing currents it will always be the 'second' anchor to be deployed when a second anchor is needed.

as for chain, get at least 25 feet, 50 would be better. you could probably go with 1/4 inch hi tensile (i think that's what they call it) or 5/16 inch bbb. back it up with 150 feet of 5/8 inch nylon line. anchoring depths in the bahamas are not very deep - nearly always under 20 feet - so you don't need great lengths of rode.

don't forget to wire your shackles closed. while i was changing out from claw to cqr a cruiser stopped by and asked me why i was putting safety wire through the shackle pin and around the shackle. after i told him he said 'that must be why i lost that anchor!'.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 19:37   #15

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We came the ICW last winter from CT and anchored in many different areas. There were places that had significant tidal flow and even with the that and the shifting of tides our Manson never dragged, We anchored in many gales and it never ever slipped. As I have said in other threads, you have to be careful when you set the anchor because it sets so hard and fast. It stops our heavy ketch dead in its tracks...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bahamas