Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 13:41   #1

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Are We Crazy ?

we pulled into our latest anchorage in about 35 knots of wind. managed to get the anchor set (three cheers for the oversize rocna - didn't budge), and went below deck to set the dragging alarm.

the next morning, we were listening to VHF traffic, and the two boats nearest us had posted anchor watches, one of whom went out every hour to check on things.

i checked for chafe before going to bed (we'd been anchored for about 3 hours at that point), and then again once during the night. otherwise, we relied on the dragging alarm and the fact that with the surge, we didn't sleep all that well.

i realize that asking this is opening myself up wide for cheap shots on our carelessness, but checking every hour with a dragging alarm set didn't even occur to me. the holding ground was good, and it wasn't THAT windy.

what do you guys think? in a protected bay with no lee shore, good holding ground, a rocna at 7:1 with all chain, no boats behind us, a dragging alarm set and 30 to 35 knots of wind, how often would you get up to check on things?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:42   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I'd be snoozin'.
Old 05-02-2011, 13:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz....
Huh.... who's dragging..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:48   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I never sleep much at anchor in wind over 20 knots no matter how perfect everything else is. Involuntary anxiety.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:54   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico
I do what you do. Wouldn't help if another boat bears down on you, but hey, you can't worry about everything.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:56   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If I woke up, I would check.

Before I go to sleep when the wind is blowing hard, I turn on my radar, and I look at my position with respect to shore on the radar display. I then place several yellow sticky "post-its" directly on the radar screen to mark the contour and position of the shore line. If there is any question about dragging during the night, I turn on the radar and see whether the post-its and the shore line still overlap/coincide on the radar screen. If they don't coincide, I know I have dragged, and I will motor back to my previous position using my radar as a guide to get back into position.

I really trust my 70 lb Beugel. If I am getting up to look around, usually it is to check the position of the yachts around me to make sure they are not dragging down on me.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:59   #7

I'd sleep. You're not crazy at all. If I happened to wake up, and I wake up to any changes, usually, then I'd check around.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:01   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'
I never sleep too well when the wind is woofing, when I wake up every 3 or 4 hours, I would take a check and make sure everything is all right. If the wind is subsiding then I can sleep.
Old 05-02-2011, 14:14   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
I'd agree with the consensus: well anchored I'd set the anchor alarm and head to bed. But with that much wind I would probably be up and down all night just checking on things - no schedule or alarms, I would just not be sleeping that well. My concern would be the other boats dragging down on me, which in my experience is a far greater risk than my own anchor dragging (although that has happened too). If there were any boats anchored directly to windward I would at least set the guard zone on the radar if they were not too close, and would be sleeping a lot worse.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:30   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
even well anchored i am not a sleeper in winds over 20-25kts. too many things can happen aside from dragging anchor.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:08   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
we pulled into our latest anchorage in about 35 knots of wind. managed to get the anchor set (three cheers for the oversize rocna - didn't budge), and went below deck to set the dragging alarm.

the next morning, we were listening to VHF traffic, and the two boats nearest us had posted anchor watches, one of whom went out every hour to check on things.

i checked for chafe before going to bed (we'd been anchored for about 3 hours at that point), and then again once during the night. otherwise, we relied on the dragging alarm and the fact that with the surge, we didn't sleep all that well.

i realize that asking this is opening myself up wide for cheap shots on our carelessness, but checking every hour with a dragging alarm set didn't even occur to me. the holding ground was good, and it wasn't THAT windy.

what do you guys think? in a protected bay with no lee shore, good holding ground, a rocna at 7:1 with all chain, no boats behind us, a dragging alarm set and 30 to 35 knots of wind, how often would you get up to check on things?
About the same as you, but I would have to have had previous experience with a) my chafe gear and its ability to deal with, you know, chafe, and b) the use of a snubber, or even better, a snubber and a bridle, bringing the shock loads down to the waterline.

Different boats react differently, and 7:1 is an ideal, not a rule. Some swear 5:1 is enough, and others don't unwind until 10:1 is out. Other factors come into play, such as "am I so tired that more anchor watches would not allow me to be alert should a real emergency occur?" and "am I bigger than whomever I might hit" and "rocks, reefs or beach?"

So there's no straight answer, except that you sound prudent enough to me. I assume history with chain, Rocna and your boat was your guide.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 15:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
If I woke up, I would check.

Before I go to sleep when the wind is blowing hard, I turn on my radar, and I look at my position with respect to shore on the radar display. I then place several yellow sticky "post-its" directly on the radar screen to mark the contour and position of the shore line. If there is any question about dragging during the night, I turn on the radar and see whether the post-its and the shore line still overlap/coincide on the radar screen. If they don't coincide, I know I have dragged, and I will motor back to my previous position using my radar as a guide to get back into position.

I really trust my 70 lb Beugel. If I am getting up to look around, usually it is to check the position of the yachts around me to make sure they are not dragging down on me.
That's clever. A cheaper method in terms of cleaning the screen later would be if you can find two shore features (lights, a pointy hill, whatever). Take a bearing with a hand compass and make note. Do again when you wake up. If they don't add to the same number, you've dragged!

Of course, GPS anchor watch should do the trick also.
Old 05-02-2011, 17:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
If they don't add to the same number, you've dragged!
What?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:41   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
Depth alarm ON, GPS alarm ON, skipper sleeping like a log, crew requested to follow suit.

Anchor watch only if there is a reason to think that ANY dragging would lead to a DISASTER.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
What?
Assume a boat anchor in a northerly breeze off an east coast. You are approximately two miles from the shore points on which you are taking a bearing.

If you take a bearing to point A and it's 60 degrees M and a bearing to point B and it's 120 degrees M, and you have compensated for deviation, you get 180 degrees. If the boat swings in tide or breeze so that A bearing and B bearing are now different, a simple plot should confirm if they've maintain the same distance off, which tells you if you've moved. If A is the same bearing and B is different, you've also moved in some respect, directly away from A bearing. B is the same and A is different, you may be over your anchor.

I think I recall this stuff from my coastal pilotage course. It's the counterpoint to "how far off am I/how fast am I going?" calculations using bearings.