Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 13:32   #31

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
No, you're not crazy to trust your anchor. Nor is it crazy to get a good night's sleep. But, as you noted in your story, there are ever more folks with boats who either haven't yet acquired the skills or the equipment to give them a good night's sleep. Strive to anchor upwind of them at all costs. Strive to be friendly with them if they drag down on you. The only thing worse than un-knitting a sweater of fouled anchors in the dark is doing that with rude, short tempered sailors more interested in finding fault or protecting their pride.
Old 13-02-2011, 17:10   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Our last two nights were spent at anchor with gusts up to thirty and other boats upwind. I do sleep in the cockpit at these times to best hear my anchor drag alarm and to keep an occasional watch on other vessels. I leave my GPS track application on at anchor and like the constant reference to where I am in relation to my anchor and what arc I'm drawing about my anchor. This is a simple technique and probably a common practice for many, but just to share here for those that might find it new.

Here you can see that I'm maintaining a 100 ft. distance from my anchor an I've spent time with the winds from both the north and the south. Once the arc is drawn, it is evident when you drift outside your circle if the anchor is not holding and, of course, the distance to the anchor (arrow icon) will increase.
Old 13-02-2011, 17:44   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38
It really depends, as so many have written before me. If I'm in a nice ICW anchorage somewhere, with deep black mud and I've backed the anchor down well I know what it will hold to. But, then I may be joined in the anchorage by someone I'm unsure about, and that may keep me up. Or, if the tail end of my boat is only 50 feet off a reef, I won't sleep well no matter how well hooked up I am. If I am at all worried about my own anchoring situation I often will put out a second anchor before dark, just in case. I think it was Herb Payson who wrote that all he had to do was mention to his wife that he was worried about the anchoring situation and then he could sleep well all night knowing that she would stay up worrying about the situation for him.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote