Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 11:15   #1

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Anyone Using a Manson Supreme on a 28-32' Sailboat ? What Size ?

I have checked Manson's website and they recommend a 25lb Manson Supreme for boast between 25-35 ft.

As I realize it depends on alot of other factors, I would like to know what size people are using on sailboats in my size range.

I have a 1978 Seafarer 30 that has a book displacement of about 8600lbs, but the crane measured it at about 10,000 loaded a couple of years ago.
Like me, it seems to be putting on weight!
My boat is shaped similar to something like a C&C30, to get an idea of the boat. it has a mid-long fin keel, with 4'9" of draft.

I am currently using a danforth knock-off of unknown weight (approx 20lbs), and it has worked well as we have mostly sand and mud off the South West coast of Nova Scotia. The only trouble I have had is in setting in weed, where it took multiple attempts.

Reasons for getting new Manson Supreme:
- currently have Danforth mounted on pullpit rail, and have to lift off hangers, hang anchor (and myself) somewhat over the side, while bracing feet / legs against bow pullpit and toerail. It's hard on the back, and likely not the safest.
- I have fabricated a stainless bow roller (copied loosely from self-launching design, and felt the movable flukes of the danforth would not fit as well on the bow roller.
- Like the idea that he Supreme may reset better/ faster with tide or wind changes.

I had intentions of up-sizing to the Supreme 35lb, but when I looked at it, and lifted it, in the store, it just felt way too big for the bow of my 30'er. Not that I care too much what others think, but I thought that this thing would look way oversized on my boat, when viewed while walking down the dock.

I may purchase a windlass as well, but there is the possibility I will be hauling it up by hand. We have 40' of 1/4" chain then 250' of rode.

A 35lb one may be better for storms, but I also have to raise and lower this thing as my regular day / lunch anchor, as it will be on the bow roller.

We are weekend / summer vacation coastal cruisers only. Although we could get caught in a bad anchorage in a storm, we normally watch the weather reports closely and head in if it's blowing more than 25kts.

Thoughts please????
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:00   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Our boat is 34 feet and displaces 17,000 lbs. We are using a Manson 35. It has held us very well in some heavy conditions and set well every time so far. We just did a 900 mile cruise. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 14:13   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day NE,

IMO, one of the best compliments one can receive as a cruising sailor is to have all the weekend sailors laugh at your "too big" anchor! Ann and I have lived at anchor (mostly) now for some 24 years and I have NEVER thought that our anchor was too big, but have occasionally worried that it might be too small!

As to the practicality of an additional 10 lbs on the bow or on the end of the chain -- it is a fairly small increment, and will not be a big deal. I would certainly recommend the addition of a windlass and perhaps a bit more/heavier chain when it fits in the budget. Your back will thank you for the gift.

Oh -- we have used a 60 lb Supreme for the past few years and are quite happy with it. Our boat is 46' and about 9.5 tonnes light ship weight.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point NSW Oz
Old 26-03-2010, 15:38   #4

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
For several years, I had a 28' hardtop powerboat with a lot of freeboard/windage. Right around 8500lbs displacement. I used a 25lb Manson Supreme, and when the anchor stuck, it stayed there, but sometimes getting it buried took a bit of effort on a hard clay/weed bottom. I bet the 35lb would have made a difference getting set in those conditions. I'll be ordering a 35 pounder soon for the current boat, which is what I would recommend for yours as well. Like they say, when in doubt, go larger!
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 15:44   #5

in the same boat...

trying to figure this out myself and I too found the size of the 35# in the store seemingly too big, even though i want the added security...it seems to be quite a step up in terms of surface area from the 25#. I'll be very interested to hear what you end up doing as I am in the same situation and it is between the 25# and 35# for me.
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 15:46   #6

Waterway - Thanks for the input. Based on your boat being significantly longer (4') and heavier (about 8,000lbs) than mine, and the fact that you feel that the 35lb Manson is right for you - I think I should be fine on the 25lb model.

Jim - Thanks for the advise. I do feel that bigger is usually better as well. But, I also don't want to have something on the bow that really hurts sailing performance with little perceivable gains in safety.

In looking at Manson's chart, it lists the 60lb model as being the correct size for a 46' boat like yours, and the 25lb model as being the correct size for a 30'er like mine.

I do appreciate though, hearing from people who are actually using the product, for feedback on whether these recommended sizes are usually sufficient!
Old 26-03-2010, 16:20   #7

Mi2nd and Matrix - Sorry, I didn't refresh and see your posts.

I actually did buy the 25lb model last week, but will be going to the boat tomorrow to see how it fits on the boat and bow roller (Can be modified as necessary). If it looks already oversized I will lean to keeping it. If I think I can put the 35lb model on the bow, without appearing to "tip the boat over", I will consider ordering the larger size.
Old 26-03-2010, 17:50   #8

Boat: csy 37
i just returned from a few months on the icw. before i left i bought a 45 lb manson supreme to replace my aging cqr. i use all chain 3/8" BBB. the boat is a csy 37 at about 20000 lbs. i have a windlass but don't use it, actually prefer to haul the chain and anchor up myself. i also never anchor in more than about fifteen feet of water, so the last bit of chain and anchor i have to haul up is probably about 80 pounds.

first, the anchor holds really well. sometimes it's a chore to get it out, but i would rather have that problem then finding it comes out too easily. the 45 lb cqr has been retired to the lazarette for a spare anchor. i also keep a 35lb hi-tensile danforth on the bow, but i've yet to actually use it.

one problem with the manson - and also probably the rocna - is that it doesn't play nicely with any other anchor on the bow, if you've got two anchors out there. i've modified the bow mounting setup so that they at least tolerate each other.

i'm a big believer in big anchors. an old time cruising friend of mine always used to tell me that you could tell how long a cruiser had been out there by the size and number of anchors he carried; the longer he'd been out, the more and bigger they were. if i had it to do over again i would have bought the 55 lb rocna instead - not that i think it's any better than the manson, but because of it's thinner shank i think i would have had less mounting problems with it.

my advice to you would be to use the largest anchor you think you can mount on the bow and handle when using it. don't worry about what it looks like. real sailors will understand....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 07:52   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I use a 25 lb Manson supreme as the second anchor on my 30 footer. Primary is a 35 lb CCR.

I like the Manson. easy to handle, although a bit bulky to stow when not in use.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 10:33   #10

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Hi Northeaster,
Did you get your Manson locally? If so, where? I would be interested in checking them out. Thanks! Shoalcove
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 11:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I have a 35# Manson on 5/16" for my Pearson 35, 13,000# plus displacement. The Manson replaced a 35# CQR. Both were great anchors for a boat of this displacement. Spent two years anchoring 24/7/365 on a 45# CQR with a 20,000# boat. Never dragged including anchored in a tropical depression that just didn't quite make it to full hurricane strength.

A 25# anchor with a minimum of 30' of 5/16" chain should be more than enough anchor for a 30' boat.

In the right conditions, Danforth patterns are the best anchors, pound for pound. The problem is they require the right bottom, thick mud, and sometimes don't reset when the direction of pull changes like frontal passage or tidal change. I had a 35' boat with a 20H Danforth in the Chesapeake. My problem wasn't holding with that anchor but getting the anchor out of the mud when I wanted to leave. Several times had to physically dive the anchor, dig it out of the mud and pull it out backwards if I didn't have tide or waves to break it out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 12:43   #12

Probably the manufacturer's recommendations are more reliable than most opinions. I have a similar sized boat just a bit longer and the 25 is fine. However I have 70' of chain. There are two problems. 1 Fitting the thing to the bow. 2. It has a tendency to come up facing the wrong way ie upside down which means it wont come over the bow. That is a hazard relowering it and fiddling with a boat hook in confined quarters. I had to fit a special bent connector rod and swivel to try to help with that.
I understand that it is similar to the spadeand would look at that if I had the chance of a second shot. I wonder if the roll bar adds much and how much is marketing.
I also find an anchor winch helpful as I calculate the weight as around 70 lb total as a straight lift from the bottom which I might manage in an emergency but not as routine.
I think one can get carried away with concern about storms. You anchor in shelter without wave action and with reduced wind. You can increase your scope significantly to 10/1. You can use a second anchor. If a front is coming through you know the second wind direction.
If you planned to be out in hurricane territory that is a different topic.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 17:07   #13

Thanks for all of the great advice thus far.

Shoalcove - I do not believe that they are sold locally. I bought mine at Hamilton Marine in Portland, as I was down that way on vacation.

I see that Defender has a great deal on them right now -their warehouse sale has about 10% off anchors. You can have them shipped and the cost is not that bad. No sales tax there either, so even if you pay full Cdn tax at the border, it's no worse than here. I actually paid $40 more than the defender price to get in "in person" and bring it home immediately, to see if it fit.

I have mounted my "home made" stainless bow roller and the anchor seems to sit very well on it, and I am able to drop / launch it as well as retrieve it by pulling it up, without having to adjust or touch the anchor itself. Just have to pull on the rode. Do not have the chain on right now - just pulling on the 3 strand attached directly to the anchor.

I did build the bow roller as a two piece, self-launching design, similar to this lewmar in the link below:

Lewmar Bow Roller - Pivoting Fluke Style to 35lb , Shiny: Mauri Pro Sailing

However, due to the Manson's curved shank it self launched fine from just the main piece of the bow roller directly bolted to the bow, rather than pivoting on the small 2nd piece.

Now that the anchor is mounted (temporarily) on the bow roller, it looks about right for the boat. I do think I could now mount the 35lb one as well, without having it look way out of place either.

However, despite the bigger is better philosophy, I do feel that the 25 lb'er, which the recommended size on the Manson website, will be more than adequate. The couple of people her, who are happt with their 35lb models do have boats that are several feet longer and several thousand pounds heavier than mine, so that's why I am leaning to keeping the 25.

It was definitely easier to lower and pull up the anchor on the roller, than what I am used to while leaning over the side of the pullpit, and bracin myself to stay onboard!
Old 27-03-2010, 18:22   #14

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
We are using a Manson Supreme 35lb on a 36ft 6.5tonnes. Never fails, highly recommended!!!!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 21:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I use a 25 lb Manson supreme as the second anchor on my 30 footer. Primary is a 35 lb CCR.

I like the Manson. easy to handle, although a bit bulky to stow when not in use.
Interesting that you prefer the CQR over the Manson for your primary. I currently us a 60lb CQR, but am toying with moving to a similar sized Rocna. If I may ask, why do you prefer the CQR to the Manson Supreme?
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote