Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2014, 09:17   #46

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Anchors are a Drag... Waking Up On a Beach in Our Boat

Actually, I anchored in Porto Pozzo and dragged, too.

I was the skipper of a 12.5m, 8t, sailboat belonging to a sailing association. I was younger, then, and didn't believe in properly setting the anchor (can't remember the make or size). When I woke up early in the morning, the boat wasn't aground but *very* close to the E shore. I immediately started the engine and began raising the anchor by hand (inoperative windlass but large crew). We anchored again for breakfast in the middle of the bay but we were again close to shore in a few moments.

In fact, my pilot book says that in the whole bay, the holding is poor on grass bottom .

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 09:30   #47
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

One of the best (of 6 or 7 Ive tried) iphone anchor apps ive used (using it as I type)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anch...389011510?mt=8
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 09:31   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Good case for setting some form of anchor alarm.

Had a similar event decades ago (diff boat, diff anchor, diff GF...). Anchored in a very protected cove. Anchor seemed set ok (way too cold/murky to get in and check). We had a nice dinner. Later I went out into the cockpit....and was puzzled to see a nice big oak tree towering over the stern...only a couple of meters away. It took me a moment to make sense of that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:19   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Actually, I anchored in Porto Pozzo and dragged, too.

In fact, my pilot book says that in the whole bay, the holding is poor on grass bottom .

Alain
Alain,

Following the "drag show," when we anchored the second time 200 meters away to the north, I did dive down below the first 3 meters of cloudy water to check on the anchor well dug in at 8 meters. It had set well with full reverse throttle, and we were fine over the next 24 hours with the wind blowing a continuous 30 knots. The bottom at that location was bottom made up of crusty gravel and scattered weed. The first spot was most likely rock. But you are correct, the pilot book warns of poor holding.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:25   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kenomac... it is most disconcerting to find one's self in a draggy situation.
i am glad you have good guardian angels who guided you to a less malicious locale to place your hull onto beach
good guardian angels trump any modern anchor, old time ones as well.
int cruisin fun!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 11:10   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
kenomac... it is most disconcerting to find one's self in a draggy situation.
i am glad you have good guardian angels who guided you to a less malicious locale to place your hull onto beach
good guardian angels trump any modern anchor, old time ones as well.
int cruisin fun!
Thanks so much for your very kind thoughts.

Ken
Old 17-08-2014, 11:19   #52

Boat: Beneteau 361

Glad to hear all is well, now Kenomac...

I can attest to the guardian angels, zeehag. We were watched over, as well, while on shore at Marina Cay (BVI) for a party. We had anchored near the mooring field, but kept scope shortened for swing room. A squall came up while we were ashore, and boat dragged. Just like Ann's experience, the boat ended up snagged near the shoreline next to Gt. Camino. The boat had drifted through most of the mooring field, full of boats, without rubbing paint with any of them. We were blessed!!

Oh, yeah...the anchor was a 35kg Delta, set at 3:1 (2.5m depth) in good sand.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 11:26   #53

Boat: Beneteau 361

Oops...not 35kg Delta...35lb/16kg...
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 12:36   #54

Anchors are a Drag... Waking Up On a Beach in Our Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Alain,

Following the "drag show," when we anchored the second time 200 meters away to the north, I did dive down below the first 3 meters of cloudy water to check on the anchor well dug in at 8 meters. It had set well with full reverse throttle, and we were fine over the next 24 hours with the wind blowing a continuous 30 knots. The bottom at that location was bottom made up of crusty gravel and scattered weed. The first spot was most likely rock. But you are correct, the pilot book warns of poor holding.

Ken

Firstly, full marks for your honesty, all too often on these forums the facts get distorted in the telling.
However that's the only compliment I'm giving.

You say above the first spot was most likely rock and poor holding. So my question to you is... why did you not discover the poor holding during the day when you set your anchor?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 12:44   #55

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Fuss: your post sounds a bit naive. It is quite easy to put down an anchor and think you are setting it hard, and still have it drag. As I explained earlier an anchor can grab a small bit of rock, hold against full reverse, but then pop off later. Also, it is common to snag a large amount of grass and hold against reverse but then drag with a ball of grass around it. Many of us have been caught out by this. Diving is the only sure way to know, but that is not always desirable or even possible. So how do you propose that he should have "discovered this during the day"?

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 15:01   #56
cruiser

Fuss,

When we first arrived at the anchorage, we had no idea that the bottom was poor quality. We didn't have a detailed pilot guide, just the Imray Med. Almanac.

When we first set our anchor it held tight when we reversed at nearly full throttle, it must have snagged on a sharp edge on the bottom... Who knows? It was impossible to see the bottom due to the cloudy water without using scuba gear.

Anchoring isn't an exact science with any guaranteed results. You drop what you think is the best anchor, lay down your chain, reverse back and hope for the best. Anyone who thinks they know all there is to know about the subject and believes that they'll always get good results... Is only fooling themselves.

Just today, we tried twice to anchor in an established anchorage inhabited by 10 boats just outside a marina entrance, without satisfactory results. Pulled back twice and ended up pulling up huge wads of grass and soupy mud... Watching a Belgian giving us his best "bitch wings" the entire time. We left and went three miles up the inlet and found better holding. Who knows... Maybe tonight will be his night to learn a very hard lesson... I hope not.

Ken
Old 17-08-2014, 16:29   #57

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On my Iphone that is why you have to leave Drag Queen open which keeps the screen lit and eats power, so you have to have it on charge, I assume thins is an Apple thing, or is it the app?
Depends upon what version of IOS you have on your phone. Go into Settings->General->Background App Refresh and turn it on for your anchor alarm programs. Drag queen will run in the background and set off the alarm if you go outside of your radius.

IF you don't have those settings on your phone you have an earlier version of IOS software on the phone. Run software update to get to a later version that supports background app refresh. I think you have to have IOS 7 or later for this to work.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 16:48   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

found the background app refresh, most apps aren't listed, drag queen is one not listed
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 16:55   #59

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
found the background app refresh, most apps aren't listed, drag queen is one not listed
Double checked as I thought Drag Queen was one that was but it isn't on mine either. "Anchor" and "Anchor Watch" is though.

Sorry about that,

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 17:02   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just bought "Anchor Alarm" for .99c, it runs in the background
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor