Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 02:05   #16

Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'
Re: Anchoring without inboard or windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Keep in mind that your anchor can be deployed from the stern if necessary with the rode ran forward around the outside of the shrouds to your attachment point on the bow, prior to use. Just sail in, put the helm over hard and at the same time, drop your anchor from your position in the cockpit. Your forward momentum should "set" the anchor. Revere the procedure as necessary. Pull the rode around the outside of the shrouds to the cockpit, make secure. Raise sail with sheets free, pull rode, secure anchor in cockpit, sail away.
Interesting....
Dexterbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 21:12   #17

Re: Anchoring without inboard or windlass

I did many anchorages without an engine and many times I would sail in and drop the bow hook and use some of the forward momentum to set it, and if I didnt like where I was sitting I would row out a smaller forward hook to pull me to one side or the other or row out a stern hook to keep my bow into the swell. Santa Cruz can get very rolly when the wind goes light and you turn sideways to the swell. A stern anchor will prevent that. You are far safer anchoring further off of the beach and using more rode than if you tuck in close. If things start going wrong in the night the extra 100 yards (or more) give you time to sort things out. Liston to your weather reports and dont anchor in too shallow a spot and enjoy the adventure. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, santa cruz, wind, windlass