Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Anchoring with better than better........

I have an 80# Manson Supreme I am putting to the test with my 40' Silverton this season. The Boss is different and in many ways reminds me of posts here in the forum a couple of years ago surrounding the Rocna at least pertaining to cost.

The cost of the new Boss is staggering! Cost is Manson business, I hope they make lots of bucks! I however have moved too many times with anchors ranging from 44# Bruce which I owned from previous years to a 55# and then 88# Delta whose holding or lack of it resulted in my purchase of an 80# Supreme. I can report that as of today that anchor holds supremely well.

If it fails, I will resort to RENT-A-MOORING before I will stagger my budget with a new Boss. JMHO!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 14:20   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Anchoring with better than better........

My 60# Manson Supreme (1 size up from the sizing chart) has held and set with no problems.

Much better than the boat that set their anchor twice last week but still blew 200 yards across the anchorage later.
Old 11-07-2012, 14:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The Manson Supreme, is some serious money. I hope it does work for you.

With an 80 pound anchor is there any problem getting it to come up when your in sticky mud?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 14:39   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

With an 80 pound anchor is there any problem getting it to come up when your in sticky mud?
My 60# MS was $654 last year. While not "cheap" I feel it was pretty low cost compared to the boat.

My windlass will NOT put it up once it is dug into the mud. I have to wait a little normally for the boat to break it out first. Makes me happy everytime it happens!
Old 11-07-2012, 14:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:

I have a 55kg Rocna (120lb) and it does take a some time to break out particularly after strong wind, but it's not a serious problem. Just cleat the chain when it's straight up and down and wait. Probably 3 to 5 mins on average. Often some engine reverse is needed.

The anchor can lift up a lot of bottom mud on occasions. I would guess 20kg on my anchor, but a good few pushes with the boat hook and it slides off.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:12   #6

Quote:
The Manson Supreme, which I presume you meant, is some serious money. I hope it does work for you.

#@$%& YOU'RE CORRECT!!! I keep getting my Maxwell HWC2200 windlass mixed up with my Manson Supreme. Cost-- I caught a sale at Defender, West Marine matched their price and provided free shipping. I don't remember but it was a bargain to me ......maybe $700???

AND THANKS AGAIN FOR CALLING ATTENTION TO MY MAXWELL SUPREME

Foggy
Old 11-07-2012, 15:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
#@$%& YOU'RE CORRECT!!! I keep getting my Maxwell HWC2200 windlass mixed up with my Manson Supreme. Cost-- I caught a sale at Defender, West Marine matched their price and provided free shipping. I don't remember but it was a bargain to me ......maybe $700???

AND THANKS AGAIN FOR CALLING ATTENTION TO MY MAXWELL SUPREME

Foggy
I was guessing you had a Maxwell windlass. Quality windlass.

I see, I looked at Defender and they have the SS 80# Supreme listed at almost $4K but down the page they have the galvanized ones. I guess they don't want you seeing them first

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:34   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

These new generation Spade/Roll Bar (Manson Supreme & Racna) anchors are much better than anything before them. They set faster and reset better.

Until you have and used one you really do no appreciate how well they really work.
Sleep is also much better.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:56   #9

Folks--- I can attest so far at least, that Manson Supreme HOLDS!!! I crept up to an 88# Delta because a 55# would not hold. My boat is large, heavy and completely enclosed with canvas/isenglass. It has more sail area (I think) than my old 30' Hunter.

I monitor where I am with my Garmin GPS. Currently I am in about 8' with 50' of 5/16HT chain out there. My Garmin has traced a perfect circle of where my boat has been.

I really don't want to pull that windlass for any reason but if I do, I am going to place a sensor on the shaft so I can count and display the turns using a microcontroller. Now, I count the turns as the chain leaves the gypsy and of course by measuring the radius of the GPS circle, I can confirm I have 50' thereabout holding my anchor.

Anybody want to purchase a 55# Delta?? How about an 88# Delta??

EDIT: West Marine offers the 80# Manson Supreme today for $949 and they are out of stock!
Old 19-07-2012, 07:10   #10

Boat: Palmer-Johnson 30, EXEAT

This is a picture of our new 25 lb. Boss anchor with the closest equivalent Rocna template (22 lb.) superimposed for comparison.

We have used the Boss about a dozen times so far, in no extreme conditions. My wife feels that it comes up easier than our old 22 lb. Delta did. It clearly sets more quickly; no comparison there. We would often plow anchorages back and forth before the Delta would set. The Boss digs in instantaneously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2221.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	43734  
OwenMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring